Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Maimonides is on the verge of bankruptcy, why no other hospi
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:04 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Those of you that are saying that 'Good Hospitals' don't have Medicaid patients, what about all those patients that pay their OB out of pocket for perinatal care and then deliver in NYC hospitals like Cornell, Mt. Sinai etc with Medicaid.

I understand frum patients doing this are probably the minority, but this must exist our of our community as well.

But is Maternity care still the minority in hospitals?

I imagine with cardiology let's say, such an arrangement doesn't exist.

It's statistics - the actual number of Medicaid patients who somehow have money to pay out of pocket for their OB/GYN and then travel to a hospital in Manhattan is a tiny fraction of the patients at those hospitals.

Maimonides draws from a huge area and doesn't just serve frum people who might find a way to manipulate the system by coming up with $5000 or so to pay private. The assumption is that if you are on Medicaid you don't have a spare $5000. This isn't a value judgment but just a reality check that the vast majority of people on Medicaid are legitimately poor and if there are others who are fraudulently on it, I hope karma comes to smack them.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:08 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
I highly doubt that everyone is on medicaid in NY but if you have lets say 8 kids and make $60,000 a year then you can qualify for medicaid even if you own a house-- https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1637

And most people in Brooklyn have big families and dont make lots of money even if there are the outliers who make millions. Not sure why the entire community is judged based on the few outliers who make millions as they are the exception not the rule.

Most people outside the frum world do NOT have eight children on an income of $60,000 because they are limiting family size to what they can realistically afford.

Many people who make $60,000 work for corporations at middle management levels and get private health insurance through their companies.

Obviously if this is a two person earning family then the economics are different because $30,000 is a low salary and the people are probably unskilled and at the bottom of the job pool.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:32 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
They’re breaking the law
They shouldn’t be treated before legal citizens but how do you expect anyone in the hospital to accomplish that? They can’t thanks to this govt

I don’t see how committing the Despicable evil crime of skipping legal port of entry any different than having large families that you can’t afford both share the common denominator Of expecting someone else to pick up your tab.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:39 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I don’t see how committing the Despicable evil crime of skipping legal port of entry any different than having large families that you can’t afford both share the common denominator Of expecting someone else to pick up your tab.

Coming into the US illegally remains a crime. The government strongly encourages and promotes welfare dependency for those who are already here.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:44 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Coming into the US illegally remains a crime. The government encourages welfare dependency for those who are already here.

Not really.

The theory is that people will use social welfare programs to elevate themselves from poverty through education and that only the truly unfortunate will have to remain supported by the government.

It really is a question as to whether making some lifestyle choices like having a very large family when you can't afford them or deliberately not getting a job merits using tax dollars.

I imagine that many people would not be happy supporting these kinds of life style choices.

At any rate illegal immigrants can't qualify for Medicaid and can only get the most critical emergency care. To some extent they are actually tax "losers" as they do pay taxes - sales tax for sure and many of them also are working where FICA is withheld and they will never be able to collect it.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:55 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
Not really.

The theory is that people will use social welfare programs to elevate themselves from poverty through education and that only the truly unfortunate will have to remain supported by the government.

It really is a question as to whether making some lifestyle choices like having a very large family when you can't afford them or deliberately not getting a job merits using tax dollars.

I imagine that many people would not be happy supporting these kinds of life style choices.

At any rate illegal immigrants can't qualify for Medicaid and can only get the most critical emergency care. To some extent they are actually tax "losers" as they do pay taxes - sales tax for sure and many of them also are working where FICA is withheld and they will never be able to collect it.

Illegal aliens can and do get medicaid especially in NY and especially if they are pregnant (which means that taxpayers are paying their bills and then the kids is born in America so is a citizen and qualifies for medicaid as well). https://www1.nyc.gov/site/ochi......page

https://includenyc.org/help-ce.....ants/

And the NY Governor also signed a bill giving illegal aliens tax paid health insurance if they are over 65-- https://cbcny.org/newsroom/new.....er-65

leah233

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:03 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
Not really.

I can't imagine anyone really believes those theories.

Many years ago, I used to work in an inner city tax perpetration firm. I used to hear all the time from the single mothers that they had their multiple children to an equal number of unknown fathers for the lifetime welfare benefits such children bring.

It was even a common "business" to figure out who benefits more from having another child and if it wasn't you, then you would sell dependency rights to your child to someone who have greater benefit (that is how it always come up, they were trying to figure whether to keep or "sell" their children)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:36 pm
Whatever the agenda is in this campaign... The truth is Maimonides right now stinks. I live a few blocks away but many here wouldn't step foot in there.

I heard first hand info from neighbor that's employed there. The higher ups are cashing in sick big money and the rest of the employees and staff are taken advantage of to the max. They're poorly trained, illegal staff to patient ratio, there's high expectations of anything that will bring the big guys the mone and rest are given low pay.

They killed so many during covid and walked away with millions. I know someone that snuck into the hospital during covid and she says she needs therapy for what she saw there. They let patients lay and die on the floors on the hallway floors like in the concentration camps.

I'm happy for the poster that was "in and out of the er within 2 hours"...well my friend wasn't that lucky. Her 8 month old healthy baby died in her hands from a UTI in Maimonides medical center because they were busy treating an illegal immigrant for a nose bleed.

I have more hair raising stories to share but I think the point is clear.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 3:56 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
She’s not wrong. How is the entire Brooklyn on Medicaid?!

Vast majority of nyc kids not on Medicaid are insured under child health plus, which is basically Medicaid with a small fee. A family of 6 can earn about $145,000 & still qualify.
Then if a woman is pregnant she can get Medicaid at similar income. & since covid NYC did not kick anyone off Medicaid which means I've been covered since early covid until now with no income restrictions.

Then there is my child with special needs that has a Medicaid waiver, not income dependent. I take him to lots of medical appointments, I hope the doctors we see are not nasty like the other poster.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:20 pm
amother Clear wrote:
Vast majority of nyc kids not on Medicaid are insured under child health plus, which is basically Medicaid with a small fee. A family of 6 can earn about $145,000 & still qualify.
Then if a woman is pregnant she can get Medicaid at similar income. & since covid NYC did not kick anyone off Medicaid which means I've been covered since early covid until now with no income restrictions.

Then there is my child with special needs that has a Medicaid waiver, not income dependent. I take him to lots of medical appointments, I hope the doctors we see are not nasty like the other poster.

FWIW the "vast majority" of children are not on Medicaid or CHIP - the percentage in New York City is 41% as of 2019 with 49.7% getting through an employer and 6.3% direct purchase sol 56% are privately insured versus 41% who are on a government program. High but NYC has a disproportionate number of poor families versus a suburban area.

One could make surmises about the composition of those on Medicaid and CHIP but I venture that the vast majority of Caucasians on these plans are frum Jews because of the disparate poverty among that community versus other groups including secular Jews. KY has what I think is the lowest per capital income of almost any place in the USA. That is poorer than most those areas with substantial unemployment and other issues like West Virginia or similar places.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:56 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
She’s not wrong. How is the entire Brooklyn on Medicaid?!

Im not one to stick my nose in other people's finances. Its not my business

Reality is. You do get what you pay for in life.

Medicaid is free. Screaming and yelling to save Maimonides won't help at this point.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:28 pm
Maimonides is a zoo. Anyone who thinks otherwise is blind. But there are worse hospitals in Brooklyn, Brookdale for example is a like a war zone and I don't see anyone getting worked up over it. It's interesting that Maimonides specifically is getting in this mess. Why doesn't everyone just take a taxi to a further hospital and get quality care? Methodist isn't that far

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:06 pm
Civic leaders rally around Brooklyn’s embattled Maimonides hospital

Scores of community leaders in southern Brooklyn are rallying around beleaguered Maimonides hospital as it bats back complaints of declining patient care, plummeting finances, fat executive compensation and mismanagement.

The 25 leaders co-signed a letter supporting Maimonides’ embattled leadership and accusing critics — who’ve argued dramatic changes are needed to save Brooklyn’s largest privately run hospital — of waging an attack campaign that’s undermining the medical facility.

“Maimonides is not perfect – no hospital is – but its leadership is eager to listen and addresses issues when raised,” the letter obtained by The Post said.

It points out the COVID-19 pandemic has had “a devastating impact on our communities and created major challenges throughout society. All hospitals have faced enormous pressure on staffing and resources.”

The Maimonides supporters also lament what’s become a bitter feud over the hospital’s future.

“It is disheartening to see these global challenges used as a pretext for a divisive, misleading, harmful series of attacks on the hospital and its workforce – especially when the hospital has gone above and beyond to get us through the pandemic, visiting community centers and places of worship to provide vaccinations, support, and information,” the letter stated.

“As community leaders, we stand with Maimonides and its hardworking team of clinicians, staff, and administrators. We would encourage everyone to learn the facts about Maimonides and to make their voices heard in support of the hospital. Maimonides is a pillar of Brooklyn life which we can all feel proud to have in our backyard.”

The letter is co-signed by leaders of diverse groups including Monsignor Jamie Gigantiello, vicar of development for the Brooklyn Catholic Diocese, the Federation of Italian-American Organizations of Brooklyn, United Senior Citizens of Sunset Park, the Bangladeshi-American Society, Islamic Society of Bay Ridge, Chinese American Planning Council, the Arab American Association of NY, the Arthur Ashe Institution for Urban Health, among others.

“As a destination center for advanced care and a safety net hospital serving diverse neighborhoods with high concentrations of Medicaid patients, we are incredibly proud of the top tier clinical outcomes we have been able to achieve for communities that have suffered from significant historic health disparities. Working closely and constructively with community partners, we are together making a significant difference and are grateful for their partnership and support,” Maimonides said in the statement.

The letter is the hospital’s latest counter-offensive aimed at critics.

But conspicuously missing are any signatories representing Borough Park’s Orthodox Jewish community, a key neighborhood served by Maimonides. Much of the criticism has been lodged by Borough Park activists and patients.

The Post recently revealed Maimonides reported a $145 million loss last year and defaulted on some of its debt obligations. But the hospital maintained a pot of $1.8 billion in Medicaid reimbursement included in this year’s state budget will help stabilize its finances.

Complaints about care emerged in July when five state lawmakers signed onto a letter calling for hearings into the hospital’s operations, citing long wait times for care and overwhelmed staff.

The battle took another twist in August when one of those lawmakers, state Sen. Simcha Felder (D-Brooklyn), labeled one of the groups pushing for a management overhaul — Save Maimonides — as “not kosher.”

“The movement is not kosher. It’s absolutely a smear campaign,” said Felder, whose district includes heavily Orthodox Jewish Borough Park, where Maimonides is a major employer.

Allies of the hospital’s current management have also accused critics of trying to take over the hospital.

Maimonides is a” safety net” hospital — meaning many of its patients rely on public health insurance that pays far less than private insurance for procedures and that the hospital runs on narrow margins. About half its patients are on Medicaid, the public health insurance for the needy, 32% are on Medicare and just 14% have private/commercial insurance.

Nearly half of the residents in its coverage area are foreign born and nearly half are non-white. Nearly a third speak a primary language other than English. Nearly a third of its patients are Jewish.

The major critics group, the Save Maimonides Coalition, suggested the pro-hospital letter smacked of desperation and some of the groups that signed had received donations from the hospital.

SEE ALSO

NYC’s Maimonides lost $145M in 2021, pushing hospital to near collapse
“Maimonides is ranked the worst hospital in New York in part because they are no longer paying for enough nurses per shift, and we sympathize with good people and good groups that took donations from Ken Gibbs in good faith and are now being used to prop up failing leadership delivering horrible care that’s pushed the hospital to the edge of bankruptcy,” said Mendy Reiner, co-chair of the Save Maimonides coalition.

Maimonides’ charitable tax-exempt status filed with the IRS and other public records show at least four of the groups that co-signed the letter received funding from Maimonides. The Arab American Association received $30,000 since 2017; the Arthur Ashe Institute for Urban Health got $10,000; The Federation of Italian-American Organizations, whose current vice president, Frank Naccarato, is Maimonides’s board secretary, received $9,000 in 2018; and the Chinese American Planning Council, up to $5,000.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Monsignor Gigantiello’s parish in the Brooklyn Diocese, got $11,000 from Maimonides in 2019.

Maimonides is one of the city’s last remaining stand-alone major community hospitals — not owned or tightly integrated into a major system, like NYU-Langone or Columbia-Presbyterian. That means it alone carries the costs of back office operations like billing and running its computer and records systems.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/18/.....lerts

happyone

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:26 pm
I believe it's the amount of urgent cares out there that large percentage of emergencies are no longer being treated at the local hospital, but are getting early treatment at an urgent care. Even hatzolah takes broken bones, stitches and other minor emergencies to urgent care rather than years ago would have gone to the ER.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries