Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babysitter Drama

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:38 pm
BH Im a new mother withha new baby living in Lakewood. Everyone knows the hassle of finding a babysitter around here. Well, we found one at a convient location with many years expiernce. I went to pick my baby up, and I saw she had her sleeping on her stomache. She's a little over 2 months old, but my husband and I mentioned to her how she sleeps on her back. So when I went over to her bassinet and saw her on her stomache I casually mentioned "Oh, you know we usually put her to sleep on her back." She responded by saying "shes a bubby, and this is how she does it. Its good for the babies its excersize for them. She needs time on her stomache." We of course do put her on her stomache just when shes awake.Shes a great baby sitter the baby is well taken care of she feeds her when she is told to, and all the kids are always under control. She doesnt leave them in there strollers, she has bassinets and other equipment to keep them enterntained. I need to consult with her pediatirion to see what they have to say, but im curiose, what do you have to say?

abound

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:40 pm
Perfecty fine, especially since the babysitter is up,not sleeping.

Java

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:40 pm
It would make me upset. Regardless of how I feel about stomach sleeping in general, you're the mom and she needs to listen to you

4g01o

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:11 pm
It's fine for them to be on their stomach during the day when they're being looked after.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:26 pm
I would be very upset. I don’t do stomach sleeping for babies until they can turn over both ways on their own. If I hadn’t clarified it well how important it is to me, I would make sure to do so now.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:30 pm
Stomach sleeping while being watched is 100% fine. It’s only an issue if you are sleeping too. My only issue here is, she should respect your wishes even if it’s safe.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:32 pm
It’s okay, back in the day all babies slept on their tummies with no issues.

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:38 pm
Java wrote:
It would make me upset. Regardless of how I feel about stomach sleeping in general, you're the mom and she needs to listen to you

I think it IS important how you feel on stomach sleeping. A group babysitter can't accommodate every request, so long as she's not compromising on safety

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:47 pm
Ask your pediatrician. He may say it's OK because she's watching baby. But they say babies who normally sleep on their backs are at greater risk when they're put to sleep on their stomachs. And how carefully is she watching a sleeping baby?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:13 pm
I honestly don’t even think it’s about the sleeping on the stomach. Regardless of if it’s safe or not, she should do whatever you want you’re the mom

Java

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:31 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I think it IS important how you feel on stomach sleeping. A group babysitter can't accommodate every request, so long as she's not compromising on safety

The point I was making was that I could tell OP how I personally feel about stomach sleeping, but that doesn't make a difference- it's how she feels that should matter and that the teacher should listen to.

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:37 pm
I would not be ok with it

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:03 pm
Java wrote:
The point I was making was that I could tell OP how I personally feel about stomach sleeping, but that doesn't make a difference- it's how she feels that should matter and that the teacher should listen to.

I hear you especially since back sleeping is considered unsafe by many. But for example let's say you're against bottle propping, you may have to get a private sitter.

Java

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:10 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I hear you especially since back sleeping is considered unsafe by many. But for example let's say you're against bottle propping, you may have to get a private sitter.

Yup and its the teacher's right to say 'Sorry I prop bottles/ only put babies to sleep on their stomachs, if you don't like it I'm sorry.' but it doesn't sound like she communicated that. After OP specifically asked for the baby to be put to sleep on her back and the teacher agreed, then the teacher is definitely in the wrong here.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:20 pm
SIDS risk.
I know a Frum kid who didnt come home fromthe babysitter at a few months old because of unsafe sleeping situation.
Back is best.
Tummy time while baby is awake is fine, exercise and good for baby. Not while asleep.

This isnt something that a babysitter should have a fuss about. It isnt making her change her day around or inconvenience her. She just has to put the baby on his or her back.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:00 pm
I'd be livid actually. Do you really think she's watching your baby as she sleeps?

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:04 pm
There were a few SIDS deaths at baby sitters recently.
I would be extremely unhappy about it.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:12 pm
Many sids deaths at babysitters were in car seats
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics