Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you leave your stove top fire on all yom tov?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:56 pm
I've never done this because I've always been too nervous to leave a fire on for 2 days. Just wondering what other people do when they want to cook on yom tov. I've heard of ways you can turn the stove top on on yom tov from an existing flame. What do you do?

SYA

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:59 pm
Yes with a blech. They’re always a pot on. When food is not on there’s a pot of water. I keep it on the lowest that it won’t blow out.

LK1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:00 pm
We unplug one of our ovens so when we turn the knob for the stove it's not turning on the gas.
We take a match from the yarzeit licht that's on and turn on the stove with that.

Really simple and we keep turning on and off.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:03 pm
I keep a lowish flame covered with a blech, exactly as I do on Shabbat, and I keep a kettle full of water on the blech at all times. If I want to cook-cook as opposed to just reheating, I take the blech off and replace it afterwards. I also keep a yahrzeit licht going in order to be able to relight the flame should it go out for any reason. I'd need the yahrzeit licht anyway to light candles the second night. Once you light the flame you can't turn it off, so I don't see how not keeping your stove going would help you any unless you served cold food the first day of YT.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:04 pm
I always leave a blech on. Often remove when no food on, never liked keeping on an oven for so many days. It would make my apartment too hot.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:10 pm
Yes I do, but covered with a blech even if I'll take the blech off to cook. Also Hatzala and our Rav make announcements every year to leave your kitchen window a few inches open if you do leave a flame on so that's what we do. Never had an issue BH

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:15 pm
I leave a tiny flame on. Why does everyone use a bleach? I don't.

gingleale

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:16 pm
I leave a single electric burner on a timer

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:18 pm
I keep a flame on for yom tov. No blech. I do leave a window open though. I've always done this, married 25+ years.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:21 pm
No one is scared to leave a window open? Where I live (Lakewood) there’s a high amount of break ins.

We use a hot plate on a timer

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:22 pm
We leave a small flame on at the back of the stove with a blech over it. DH doesn't like leaving the oven on even though ours has shabbat(really yt) mode.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:33 pm
Plata; dh won't allow me to leave stove top gas or oven on. The plata is on a timer.

I cook everything in advance so it doesn't matter.

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:50 pm
LK1 wrote:
We unplug one of our ovens so when we turn the knob for the stove it's not turning on the gas.
We take a match from the yarzeit licht that's on and turn on the stove with that.

we do similarly. I don’t feel comfortable leaving the flame on

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:51 pm
LK1 wrote:

One may only switch a stove flame on and adjust higher, but not lower it or turn it off.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:55 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
One may only switch a stove flame on and adjust higher, but not lower it or turn it off.

I was taught you can lower it if the food is going to burn.
We leave a flame on, with a sheet of metal on top. (Is that a blech?) I remove it if I want to cook, but I really don’t cook often on Yom tov.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 7:58 pm
I've been leaving a flame on every Yom Tov for many years. No blech (except when it's also Shabbos). No problems ever.
I also use that flame to light my candles the second night.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:02 pm
[quote="amother Pearl"]One may only switch a stove flame on and adjust higher, but not lower it or turn it off.[/quote

I understand that is correct. you can lower flame if food will burn, so you basically you can't lower flame (or oven) temperature unless there is actually food cooking at the time but I've never heard of being allowed to "turn off" or extinguish a flame on yt, even if it's 'only gas' ie, the electric ignite is turned off, I'd love to learn more about that, pleas share

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:09 pm
We use a hot plate that turns on and off 2x each day for the meals. Sometimes on the last day we'll open a flame using an existing fire from the 3 day candle and cook something fresh.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:11 pm
[quote="amother Starflower"]
amother Pearl wrote:
One may only switch a stove flame on and adjust higher, but not lower it or turn it off.[/quote

I understand that is correct. you can lower flame if food will burn, so you basically you can't lower flame (or oven) temperature unless there is actually food cooking at the time but I've never heard of being allowed to "turn off" or extinguish a flame on yt, even if it's 'only gas' ie, the electric ignite is turned off, I'd love to learn more about that, pleas share

it’s the opinion of rav moshe feinstein

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:02 pm
tichellady wrote:
it’s the opinion of rav moshe feinstein

Rav Moshe says you can straight up extinguish a fire on YT?! I've never heard that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur