Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Kugel without oil?

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:16 am
There is someone in Amsterdam who is making the BEST potato kugel! It's peppery smooth, and it's just amazing. They say their recipe is a secret from their Yerushalmi family. And I just try to look an oil-free but smooth and peppery kugel it's a perfect kiddush kugel and I love it. Does anyone know a recipe like this? It seems also that the potatoes are not really grated it almost looks like a slice of cake.
If everyone knows a recipe like this PLEASE share.

Bruria

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:38 am
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-7856
This recipe is very good, you can't tell there is virtually no oil. Follow the temperature intructions and it will come out right.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:48 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
There is someone in Amsterdam who is making the BEST potato kugel! It's peppery smooth, and it's just amazing. They say their recipe is a secret from their Yerushalmi family. And I just try to look an oil-free but smooth and peppery kugel it's a perfect kiddush kugel and I love it. Does anyone know a recipe like this? It seems also that the potatoes are not really grated it almost looks like a slice of cake.
If everyone knows a recipe like this PLEASE share.

I'm pretty sure the 'slice of cake' comes from a lot of eggs. Maybe water too? I know the texture you mean, not sure how to make it (because I don't like it Very Happy )
Have you ever tried making kugel with the s-blade? Comes out different, you might like it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:53 am
It's probably ground potatoes and not grated.

einkorn

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:26 am
anyone tried this

is it good?

how much would these potatoes be in wight?

Bruria

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:31 am
einkorn wrote:
anyone tried this

is it good?

how much would these potatoes be in wight?

It's good, made it many times and no one complained. Don't know about the weight of the potatoes.

einkorn

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:32 am
Bruria wrote:
It's good, made it many times and no one complained. Don't know about the weight of the potatoes.

does it freeze well?

when you say good does it mean good but nothing special?

Bruria

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:44 am
einkorn wrote:
does it freeze well?

when you say good does it mean good but nothing special?

I never froze it. Taste wise it's like any kugel, you can't guess it had very little oil.The secret is really to follow specifics of the recipe, like when putting in the oven leaving on 500F for 30 minutes then turn it down.

einkorn

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:48 am
Bruria wrote:
I never froze it. Taste wise it's like any kugel, you can't guess it had very little oil.The secret is really to follow specifics of the recipe, like when putting in the oven leaving on 500F for 30 minutes then turn it down.

its a very high temp even when turning lower.

can I leave it in oven after the 1.5 hrs on 300f for another couple of hrs?

Bruria

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:51 am
einkorn wrote:
its a very high temp even when turning lower.

can I leave it in oven after the 1.5 hrs on 300f for another couple of hrs?

No idea, but if it also works out, post it here!

blueberrypie

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:58 am
[quote="einkorn"]anyone tried this

is it good?

how much would these potatoes be in wight?[/quote
I also wonder about the weight of the potatoes because there's such a variation in size, I worry that the amount of other ingredients, especially spices, will be off
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes