Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken soup left out

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:15 am
I switched off a freshly cooked boiling chicken soup at around 11pm last night.

overslept and didnt put away till 8 30. it was room temperature and smells fine.

should I risk using or better safe and throw out?

s1

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:37 am
I think it would be fine. Would take a good few hours to cool down anyway.

rachelli66

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:44 am
I also think it would be ok. I usually prepare a very large pot and it takes a few hours to cool down. Also the weather is slightly getting cooler. It makes a difference in the kitchen.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:09 am
I let my soup cool overnight. It’s totally fine.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:55 am
It’s really not fine. Chicken soup grows dangerous bacteria quickly. The center stays hot and the edges get cold and that’s not good for food. Spoiled food is odorless. You can’t smell it and you can’t boil the bacteria away. Sure people do it, they also cause others to get sick and either the guests don’t say or they don’t connect it. Food poisoning is horrific ahd I would never risk it.

rachelli66

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:58 am
amother Magenta wrote:
It’s really not fine. Chicken soup grows dangerous bacteria quickly. The center stays hot and the edges get cold and that’s not good for food. Spoiled food is odorless. You can’t smell it and you can’t boil the bacteria away. Sure people do it, they also cause others to get sick and either the guests don’t say or they don’t connect it. Food poisoning is horrific ahd I would never risk it.

When would you refrigerate soup? After how many hours?

Aurora

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:00 am
As someone who survived food poisoning, please don't do it.

Three days of alternating vomiting and diarrhea is its own special kind of hell.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:30 am
It totally fine!
I always do that.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:53 am
Chicken soup is spoiled when it becomes foamy/bubbly.
Chances are yours is NOT spoiled.
Leaving it out overnight to cool is normal. It would take many hours of consistent warm temperatures or many hours of room temperature to create harmful bacteria.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:58 am
The rule of thumb is never to eat anything left out for more than 2 hours.
If it were me, I would throw it out.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 9:54 am
For all you saying it's ok, is an 8 ct pot big enough to leave out to cool overnight?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:02 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
The rule of thumb is never to eat anything left out for more than 2 hours.
If it were me, I would throw it out.
2 hours? Why such a short time? I usually cook .y chicken for shabbat friday morning, take it out of the oven lets say at 11ish. I let it cool and dont put it in the fridge before shabbat. Has never been an issue. I mean, some people eat meals for longer than that. I hope they arent throwing out food after each meal.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:04 am
I do that all the time with my 8 qt pot and never any issues
Its totally fine!

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
2 hours? Why such a short time? I usually cook .y chicken for shabbat friday morning, take it out of the oven lets say at 11ish. I let it cool and dont put it in the fridge before shabbat. Has never been an issue. I mean, some people eat meals for longer than that. I hope they arent throwing out food after each meal.

Because that’s the amount of time it takes for bacteria to grow. You know all the rampant stomach “viruses” post Yom tov? Most of it is food poisoning. If you have a long meal you should be putting the perishables away. No one eats chicken for 4 hours you don’t need it sitting on the table. You should not be leaving your food out to cool for so many hours.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:06 am
amother Tan wrote:
I do that all the time with my 8 qt pot and never any issues
Its totally fine!

No not fine. You have no idea who had stomach problems from your soup that was filled with bacteria. We need to teach this in science class, too many people are ignorant on this topic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen