Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Secular book recs for 16 year old son please

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:10 pm
He loves to read on shabbos when he's not jammed with yeshiva stuff. He's a quick and avid reader.
He's read Harry Potter, Percy Jackson series, other dragon series can't remember the names, Maze Runner series and some more.
He'd love to read the Hunger Games but I've never read it and feel a bit wary of the killings etc... but he says maze runner has killings too so I'm unsure.
I'm ok with girl boy stuff as long as it's not too explicit and definitely none of the woke garbage of today for example lgbtq+ or gay.

Any recommendations that would keep his interest? He's not so into the very fake dragon stuff anymore.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:12 pm
Terry Pratchett books
Brandon Sanderson books
Brandon mull books

scruffy

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:15 pm
I would think the Hunger Games would be fine but depends on your own comfort level.

Maybe he would like the Miss Peregrine series?

Agree with theoneandonly about Brandon Sanderson

Aurora

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:31 pm
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:42 pm
Get him on science fiction? Kiln People is good. There's a slight amount of explicit reference.

And not written for 10-12 year olds. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I read kid books too.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:48 pm
No killings would be a hard category. You know Harry Potter has that also, right?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:53 pm
Can you get him hooked on agatha christie mysteries? Theyre older and written in a more wordy, slower fashion, but they are really good and if he ends up liking them there are sooo many books for him to read. I would start him with Murder on The Orient Express, or And Then There Were None/Ten Little Indians, to hook him

Also John Grisham has a series for kids/teens, legal thrillers, called Theodore Boone, which is pretty good

s1

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:34 pm
The hobbit and lord of the rings ?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:54 pm
Would he like non-fiction? I've just finished reading The Ride of Her Life by Elizabeth Letts about a woman who rode a horse across the United States. Very well written and very interesting.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:35 pm
Thank you everyone for all the recommendations! Really appreciate it.

I'm not against killings, yes I know Harry Potter has it too. It just sounded gruesome, that the goal is to kill your friends? I don't know, I didn't read it. I'll probably let him read it anyway.

rofa

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:51 pm
I've been thinking about The House of Scorpion again.

It's definitely memorable, gritty and dark and there is some romance and violence. No LGBTQ stuff, though.

I only read it as a teen, so unsure how I would feel about it as a parent.

You can read some other parents' reviews here:
https://www.commonsensemedia.o.....adult

GLUE

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:13 pm
I read both the Maze Runner and the Hunger Games I found the Maze Runner worse then the Hunger Games, but that is just me.

Will Hobbs wrote a lot of clean books for that age, unfortunately most of them are not in print

Gary Paulsen wrote for that age some of his books have boy, girl nothing to explicate

Scott Westerfeld wrote a lot of Fantasy for that age\Uglies series, Leviathan series, Midnighters series, a few others and some stand a lone books.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:22 pm
Series by Michael Grant, first book is "Gone"
Michael Vey series
Teen books by James Patterson, there are a few series, one starts with Maximum Ride

I agree with Brandon Sanderson, and if you're Ok with the level of violence in Maze Runner, the Hunger Games isn't that much of a step up.

Virals series by Kathy Reich. She also writes adult books which are totally inappropriate, but the teen ones aren't bad.

Books by Amanda Foody

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:50 pm
The hunger games were gruesome.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room