Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ridiculous salary offer - wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:14 pm
I am quite settled in my job. Been there for a good while and enjoy the flexibility which outweighs my mediocre payslip.

I was recently approached by someone who is quite eager to employ me. He called my current employer for information (uncomfy), talked to my husband and only then contacted me, asked for sample work and explained what a marvelous opportunity he was offering. I was clear from the onset that I would only switch over for the sake of better pay.

He now emailed me with his salary proposal. It is so very low that I’m not sure what to think. The industry pays well and considering my experience the offer is truly abysmal.

He wants to know if it works for me. How should I respond? Would you negotiate or accept it as a colossal waste of time and move on?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:15 pm
Waste of time

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am quite settled in my job. Been there for a good while and enjoy the flexibility which outweighs my mediocre payslip.

I was recently approached by someone who is quite eager to employ me. He called my current employer for information (uncomfy), talked to my husband and only then contacted me, asked for sample work and explained what a marvelous opportunity he was offering. I was clear from the onset that I would only switch over for the sake of better pay.

He now emailed me with his salary proposal. It is so very low that I’m not sure what to think. The industry pays well and considering my experience the offer is truly abysmal.

He wants to know if it works for me. How should I respond? Would you negotiate or accept it as a colossal waste of time and move on?

As someone experienced in the work world - I would choose option b - colossal waster of time and move on.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:16 pm
“X amount is the industry standard. My minimum salary requirement is x. Thank you for reaching out, but your offer does not work for my needs.”

And then wait. Know your own worth.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:16 pm
No thank you

Highstrung

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:18 pm
No thanks . Waste of time

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:23 pm
Wait. He contacted your current boss, then YOUR HUSBAND, then you?! Stop there before salary. Major boundary breaking here is all you need to know this job is not going to be pleasant. This guy already showed you that he does not have respect for you. that is not a work environment I would want to be in.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Sep 20 2022, 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Powderblue

Waste of time. If he’s being so cheap now, at like the most crucial time to pretend your somewhat generous as an employer, what makes you think he will suddenly be generous later on? Think raises, bonuses etc .
I would stay far away

amother
OP

amother Peony wrote:
“X amount is the industry standard. My minimum salary requirement is x. Thank you for reaching out, but your offer does not work for my needs.”

May just go with this approach. That way if it’s ignorance he may reconsider.
Thank you Smile

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:27 pm
amother Peony wrote:

This. But don't say your minimum or that's what you'll get.

State a range for your job, high end should be close to ridiculously high, low should be higher than his. The middle of the range should be what you are aiming for to switch.

State that this is the range for the industry for this position based on the experience and responsibility he's looking for he should expect to pay in the upper range.

Then wait and don't keep your hopes up.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:34 pm
He contacted your husband? I wouldn't work for this guy for any amount of $$ in the bank.

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:39 pm
watergirl wrote:
Wait. He contacted your current boss, then YOUR HUSBAND, then you?! Stop there before salary. Major boundary breaking here is all you need to know this job is not going to be pleasant. Despise already showed you that he does not have respect for you. that is not a work environment I would want to be in.

Seriously.

"I appreciate your interest, however given the fact that you felt it appropriate to contact my employer and then seek out my husband-- who is not relevant to my employment in the least-- coupled with the incredibly low salary proposed, I must decline your offer. I wish you the best of luck in finding an employee that is a good fit for your company culture."

And if you feel like giving unsolicited advice (sometimes we just need to be passive aggressive 🤣🤣): "if you would like further information on industry standard salaries, please see [website]. And for information on general employee recruitment protocols, check out [another website]."

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:40 pm
I'd be nervous that whatever I send him could be passed on to my current boss, which will certainly do you no good. He's not going to pay you what it would take to get you to leave your current job, so besides the waste of time to pursue it further, don't give him any ammunition that could backfire and damage your current job environment.

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:47 pm
I'd also clarify with my boss that you were not looking to leave and you're happy with the company, and that this guy contacted you out of the blue. Since he called your employer first, they may think you have one foot out the door and that's a very bad look.

Lady A

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:49 pm
Approaching your husband is totally unprofessional. Whoever this man is, he seems to have an incredibly overinflated ego. Stay away from him.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:50 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Seriously.

"I appreciate your interest, however given the fact that you felt it appropriate to contact my employer and then seek out my husband-- who is not relevant to my employment in the least-- coupled with the incredibly low salary proposed, I must decline your offer. I wish you the best of luck in finding an employee that is a good fit for your company culture."

And if you feel like giving unsolicited advice (sometimes we just need to be passive aggressive 🤣🤣): "if you would like further information on industry standard salaries, please see [website]. And for information on general employee recruitment protocols, check out [another website]."

LOL LOL LOL I hear you but I don’t think his intentions were purely evil 😈
Probably just ignorant and unprofessional…

CatLady

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:58 pm
I once walked out of a job interview because of the salary offered. My exact words were, "I thought this was going to be a full-time position, not a part-time one." Then I flounced.

The fact that he contacted your boss and your husband Surprised means that he has no sense of office etiquette. Flattery will not get him everywhere. Run away and don't look back.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 6:12 pm
If you're happy at your current job, why are you even giving this a second thought? Or are you interested in looking around for something else?

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 6:52 pm
Why would you even consider this offer? You already have a job you know you’re happy with, this potential boss is ignorant of both basic etiquette and boundaries, and he claimed he’d give you an offer you couldn’t refuse but then tried paying you like you’re a McDonald’s employee. What are the pros?

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 7:17 pm
Why did he speak to your boss if he was looking to poach you? That’s a huge breach. He could have lost you your job. Why aren’t you yelling at him?
If you want to play games like he’s doing, quote him double the salary.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics