Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you're a school based therapist...
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:44 am
amother Pink wrote:
I think you'd be better off working for a school system rather than an agency. School employees generally get a (unpaid, but that means they can't be required to have lunch duty) 30 minute lunch time plus some planning time daily (usually 45 minutes or so). You work around their class schedule, but if a kid doesn't show up, or it's a day off, you still get paid. And you get summers plus regular benefits the other employees do. Even if technically the rate per hour is less than what you'd get at an agency, you still come out ahead as a salaried worker instead of hourly. You certainly wouldn't be doing 80 sessions a week.
Actually if you wanted to, you could still work part time. I know several SLPs who work in public schools just a few days a week.

Most agency therapists don't want to work in the school system. They want the flexiblity of working per diem. They want to work in a jewish environment with similar schedules to their children. But then they are outraged they don't have the benefits of a full time salaried job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:41 am
amother Acacia wrote:
Just post questions here - not sure want to share my screen name.

Ok. I appreciate your time I hope these are OK to ask.

1) What communication disorder did you specialize in? Is opening up a private practice only worthwhile if you specialize in something that no one else does?
2) How do you stay organized and manage multiple patients?
3) Do you have to submit notes to insurance?
4) Do you work over zoom? Do students come to your home?
5) Who manages the practice?
6) How does the practice advertise and otherwise promote its services?
7) How are clinical outcome measures gathered and recorded, and where are they kept?
8) How many years have you been in the field? Did it take you awhile to build up your caseload?
9) How did you decide between opening an LLC's, sole proprietorships, corporations, etc...?

I have questions on the business side of owning and operating your own private practice. 2 of my professors had one I wish we had a course in grad school on the technicalities of how it works opening one up and how it works with billing, insurance, note taking etc.

I cant see myself working with an agency forever, its just not sustainable with a frum family and the prices of life. I dont even know what area I'd specialize in. I did a few externships at outpatient rehab centers and I liked the cognitive side of speech where we treated patients with parkinsons, ALS, dementia, TBI... but the feeding was not for me... I did my CFY in a school and also enjoyed it.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:02 pm
Sure
I specialize in language disorders. Within that specialty, some people specialize in the autism population, in social skills, executive planning, some are best for teenagers, etc.
No you don’t have to be the only one. You have to be good.
There are plenty of clients and enough parnassa for everyone.
You just have to do a good job and people have to see results to be willing to pay.
There are lots of other specialties you can focus on as well.
I have a billing system that works for notes and scheduling and billing. Yes sometimes insurance companies request notes and it’s no big deal. You can fax or send a secure email straight through the system.
I have an office manager and I’m an organized person by nature. My online system really keeps amazing records for everything from evals, to notes, to progress reports, etc.
I even write my own personal notes there.
I never advertised once - it’s all word of mouth. I do see some companies advertising in the local publications, here.
Remember, it all depends how big you want your practice to be. Is it’s just you, and you have clients coming regularly twice a a week, you’ll have 15-18 clients or so, and you’re full. That’s a lot less to fill up than if you want to have lots of others working for you and you need to fill up their caseloads.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:05 pm
I sometimes work over zoom. Here and there I do that, although I don’t love it. It’s not quite as effective, and if the child has ADHD, it really doesn’t work. But sometimes it’s great.
I take data to measure real clinical outcomes. I reevaluate periodically.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 10:05 am
amother Acacia wrote:
I sometimes work over zoom. Here and there I do that, although I don’t love it. It’s not quite as effective, and if the child has ADHD, it really doesn’t work. But sometimes it’s great.
I take data to measure real clinical outcomes. I reevaluate periodically.

Wow tysm for answering! Id love to shadow you one time if you allow recent grads LOL
Are notes as simple as typing a SOAP note into microsoft word or you do a more detailed note? Have you been in the field a long time?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 12:22 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Most agency therapists don't want to work in the school system. They want the flexiblity of working per diem. They want to work in a jewish environment with similar schedules to their children. But then they are outraged they don't have the benefits of a full time salaried job.

We are not outraged that we do not receive benefits. We understand that is not part of agency employment.

We are outraged that rates are stagnant, and there are no raises ever. Stop defending it. "Per diem" just means you get paid when you work. It doesn't mean you should never get raises (my friend is a per diem nurse, she does homecare visits and she gets raises). Name me one other job where you retire at the same rate that you started decades ago.

We are outraged that P3's who did half the amount of schooling and took out half the amount of student loans are getting over 80 an hour. My friends who are P3s are always shocked when I tell them I get 65 an hour.

I really hope all the young girls starting college understand this and don't waste their time and money on a speech degree (unless they really really love speech and always dreamed of doing it). If they are not going to work in public school anyway they may as well become a p3

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 12:37 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
We are not outraged that we do not receive benefits. We understand that is not part of agency employment.

We are outraged that rates are stagnant, and there are no raises ever. Stop defending it. "Per diem" just means you get paid when you work. It doesn't mean you should never get raises (my friend is a per diem nurse, she does homecare visits and she gets raises). Name me one other job where you retire at the same rate that you started decades ago.

We are outraged that P3's who did half the amount of schooling and took out half the amount of student loans are getting over 80 an hour. My friends who are P3s are always shocked when I tell them I get 65 an hour.

I really hope all the young girls starting college understand this and don't waste their time and money on a speech degree (unless they really really love speech and always dreamed of doing it). If they are not going to work in public school anyway they may as well become a p3

Working for an agency isn't meant to be a lifetime career. That's why they don't have the regular benefits or retirement plans, I presume, the kind you'd get working for a school or hospital system or such. People do it more in-between or as a part time job while they have young kids, for example. Few people outside the frum world would plan on the primary breadwinner holding this kind of job long term. It doesn't have long term security or benefit of a payscale, it's not that type of job. Plenty of employees come and go. Those who want more, move on.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 12:40 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

P3s or SEITs and the sort of agency you are working for doesn't really exist out of NY and maybe NJ, in any case. That's why I wouldn't recommend it as a career. Short term, sure. Or a career changer or SAHM going back to school at an older age. But a young girl never knows where she will end up. It limits your options.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:01 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

There are per diem speech therapists who work in hospitals and nursing homes and I am sure they get raises. Why don't you switch to that? I understand the frustration that the doe hasn't raised in years...but that's what it is. You are choosing to work for the agencies because the whole picture works for you. Stop being outraged and either switch jobs or be thankful for the flexibility your job offers you.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:16 pm
I use a note taking system for electronic medical records.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:17 pm
I don’t understand why you would say you’re wasting your time on a speech degree. There are numerous options for you, with very good salaries. You just want to have your cake and eat it too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 9:12 am
amother Acacia wrote:
I don’t understand why you would say you’re wasting your time on a speech degree. There are numerous options for you, with very good salaries. You just want to have your cake and eat it too.

Me specifically?
Im ok with an agency now it works for my lifestyle with my baby at home but in the future I would deff want to work somewhere else. I appreciate you taking the time to reply

ayiddishemaidel

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 7:56 pm
I work in Brooklyn as a therapist in a school and get $65 an hour.

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 8:17 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

Good to know! I better ask for a raise. I didn't know everyone's getting over $80/hour

Signed, a p3 provider who is very dedicated, experienced and has a specific niche.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics