Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
In bed cosleeper

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:25 pm
I have a wall next to my bed, and not much room at the foot or to separate the beds, so I’d like to get a cosleeper for on my bed.
I’m thinking about getting something like this

Fold N' Go Travel Bassinet-Folding Portable Bassinet,3 in 1 Travel Baby Crib Baby Bed Travel Bassinet Portable-Folding bassinets with Mosquito Net,Easy to Fold and Lightweight,Dark Grey https://a.co/d/0Euoslz

Has anyone used an in bed cosleeper and can post a link?

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 9:37 pm
Bumping for the night owls….

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:38 pm
I bought a co-sleeper and ended up feeling like it was less safe than just putting my baby in bed with me. So long as you follow/qualify for the safe sleep seven, it shouldn't be an issue.

I learned it like this:
(To the tune of row, row, row your boat)
No smoke, sober mom,
Baby at the breast,
Healthy baby on their back,
Keep them lightly dressed.

Not too soft a bed,
Mind the cords and gaps,
Keep the covers off their head,
For your nights and naps.

So long as you're both healthy, you're not a smoker, drinker, or on any medication that could effect your sleep/wakefulness, and the environment is safe (you said you're against a wall, that's the side I'd put my baby on, or get a bed rail for the open side), it can be done safely.
In the co-sleeper, I felt if I depressed the mattress enough near the baby, it made them roll into the side of the co-sleeper, and some of them don't lay quite as flat as they should.

(Edited for grammar)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 1:17 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
I bought a co-sleeper and ended up feeling like it was less safe than just putting my baby in bed with me. So long as you follow/qualify for the safe sleep seven, it shouldn't be an issue.

I learned it like this:
No smoke, sober mom,
Baby at the breast,

Not too soft a bed,
Mind the cords and gaps,

So long as you're both healthy, you're not a smoker, drinker, or on any medication that could effect your sleep/wakefulness, and the environment is safe (you said you're against a wall, that's the side I'd put my baby on, or get a bed rail for the open side), it can be done safely.
In the co-sleeper, I felt if I depressed the mattress enough near the baby, it made them roll into the side of the co-sleeper, and some of them don't lay quite as flat as they should.

(Edited for grammar)

I have a foam mattress topper, is that “too soft”?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 1:18 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:

I learned it like this:
No smoke, sober mom,
Baby at the breast,

Not too soft a bed,
Mind the cords and gaps,

(Edited for grammar)

Agreed! I went a similar route and am just going to start bedsharing with my next baby.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 5:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have a foam mattress topper, is that “too soft”?

It might be, foam tends to squish a lot, and then whatever indentation a person makes in the mattress, the baby could chv"s roll into and get stuck, hurt, or worse r"l. A more firm mattress (7-10 I would say?) is recommended.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 6:14 pm
I co-slept my daughter in my bed with me for a while. I'll describe how I did it, which worked for me, but please don't take it as blanket advice. Talk to your pediatrician if you need specific tips for you and your baby:

1. I was still recovering from illnesses acquired during pregnancy and sleeping partially propped up. That meant I had a few extra pillows and wedges and things on my bed. I made sure none of them could get on my baby through careful placement.

2. Baby was swaddled firmly. I also partially wedged her into one of those breastfeeding pillows which I then secured with other pillows to make sure she couldn't accidentally slip out and that my blanket couldn't accidentally cover her. This is coming out sounding kinda dangerous maybe, but it was actually a very safe setup the way I did it. I went over it with our pediatrician, who approved it. My arm was always around my baby and that breastfeeding pillow (the C-shaped kind). She wasn't going anywhere.

3. I was an EXCEPTIONALLY light sleeper postpartum, so if she so much as grunted or wiggled, I woke up.

4. On the nights when I felt like I might NOT wake up at the slightest grunt or wiggle, I didn't co-sleep. Not worth the risk.

5. I kept going, slowly phasing it out (cosleeping part of the night, then less and less, then just some cuddles as needed) until one night when she was already several months old and I drifted to sleep during a cuddle and woke up to her smiling face after she'd bitten me on the nose to wake me up to play. She got moved to a crib shortly after that.

Hard to believe she's turning 5 soon. Wow.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 6:18 pm
I have coslept with some of my kids. I really don’t want to, but I DO want to have my baby in my room. The wall next to my bed is a partial wall, which means if I put anything next to the wall and my bed, it will prevent me from getting in and out of my bed. I can put a bassinet at the foot of my bed, but I really dislike having to get up in the middle of the night to get and put down the baby.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have coslept with some of my kids. I really don’t want to, but I DO want to have my baby in my room. The wall next to my bed is a partial wall, which means if I put anything next to the wall and my bed, it will prevent me from getting in and out of my bed. I can put a bassinet at the foot of my bed, but I really dislike having to get up in the middle of the night to get and put down the baby.

I definitely hear. Like I said, I had a co-sleeper, different brand from the one you posted, which I ended up only using when we slept away from home. The only issue was that when the mattresses depressed a bit, it caused to co-sleeper to tilt with it, and I felt that wasn't very safe, so I usually ended up sleeping at an odd angle while using it. Definitely wasn't doable for me on a regular basis. Just something to think about since you mentioned having a squishier mattress topper
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics