Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Apple cider vinegar in dressing on R"H?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 4:17 am
Is using apple cider vinegar in a dressing that has honey in it considered eating "vinegar" on Rosh Hashanah or does that only apply to straight white vinegar?

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 8:39 am
I’m wondering the same thing about red wine vinegar.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 9:10 am
If a recipe calls for vinegar, it just needs something acidic. Use lemon juice instead

weasley

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 9:20 am
What is this with not using vinegar?

I've never heard of this before?

I'm about to make my meat with red wine vinegar is that ok?

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 9:23 am
weasley wrote:
What is this with not using vinegar?

I've never heard of this before?

I'm about to make my meat with red wine vinegar is that ok?

Ask your own rav, but my chassidish in laws and very litvish parents both hold of this. You don’t use vinegar on rh. Or nuts

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 9:31 am
It's minhag, not halacha. Check with your husband or your in laws. I grew up with no vinegar or any nuts on R"H but DH's family only avoids 1 particular nut (walnuts?) and uses vinegar.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 10:18 am
I just noticed on the yt in 10 minutes thread that multiple recipes have some kind of vinegar. Not sure if those are only for sukkos but that thread seems to be a mix. I'll have DH ask his mom. She's sephardic if that makes a difference.

ETA: DH usually has no clue in the food dept so I hadn't even asked him. I just asked him to ask his mom if they use vinegar on RH and the words were barely out of my mouth and he was emphatically "No". He said they have nothing bitter or sour on RH. But then I asked about apple cider vinegar and he said he'll ask his mom. He considers that kind of "sweet". (Funny because he thinks balsamic is bitter and I think it's sweet.)

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 10:22 am
It's a very common minhag to not use vinegar on Rosh Hashanah. Some people abstain until after Yom Kippur, others not until Shmini Atzeres.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 10:53 am
It's a minhag. Ideally one has a family minhag to follow. If not, ask whichever rav you ask for similar situations.
There are some who have no problem using vinegar at all, as long as it's not dominant. So if it enhances the food but doesn't overpower it, that's fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur