Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Onion With Tahini & Za’atar
1  2  Next

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:19 am
This isn't the beet recipe but is also a good side - not as pretty as the beet and orange salad. I am looking for my beet salad recipe which seems to have gone missing LOL

This is actually a recipe from Ottolenghi who is a brilliant cook. His first cookbook Jerusalem is iconic and he has published several since then with very interesting recipes and many of them are relatively easy like this one

Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Onion With Tahini and Za’atar

This flavorful, bright side suits vegetarians, vegans and those who need to keep gluten-free. The soft, yielding squash and caramelized onions are invigorated by a lemony tahini sauce and crunchy toasted pine nuts, delivering a lighter antidote to heavier holiday dishes.

Make Ahead: The vegetables may be roasted up to 3 days in advance.

Storage Notes: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

The flavors here are incredible--the earthy tahini is a perfect match to the sweet squash and onion, while the za'atar adds a pop of sharp, herby pungency and the pine nuts offer richness and a bit of textural contrast.

Be sure to drizzle the sauce on top of the vegetable instead of mixing it in.

Where to Buy: Tahini and za'atar can be found at Middle Eastern groceries, well-stocked supermarkets and online.

SERVINGS:

Tested size: 8 servings; makes enough filling for one 9-inch pie crust

INGREDIENTS

1 medium butternut squash (1 pound 8 ounces) peeled and cut into 1-by-2 1/2-inch chunks
1 large red onion (8 ounces), cut into eighths
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons tahini, or more as needed
2 tablespoons water, or more as needed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, grated
3 tablespoons raw pine nuts
1 tablespoon za’atar
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling

DIRECTIONS

Position a baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 475 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the squash and onion and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, a few twists of the pepper grinder, and toss to combine. Spread the vegetables on a large, rimmed baking sheet, leaving space among the pieces, and roast for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the vegetables have taken on some color and are cooked through with a little char. (Keep an eye on the onion: If it starts to burn before the squash is cooked, you may need to remove it and finish roasting the squash.) Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

While the vegetables are roasting, in a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt until the sauce is the consistency of honey. You might need to add more water or tahini, depending on the consistency.

In a small skillet over medium-low heat, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil until shimmering. Add the pine nuts and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring often until the nuts are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a small bowl.

To serve, spread the vegetables out on a serving platter and drizzle with the tahini sauce. Sprinkle the pine nuts and their oil on top, and garnish with the za’atar and parsley. Sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt and serve.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Sep 22 2022, 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:33 am
Could I sub kabocha squash? Will it still be good if I omit pine nuts (or is there a cheaper seed/ nut that would work instead)?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:33 am
Looks great but am I not seeing oranges in the picture?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:35 am
And doesn't list beets in ingredients? Did u mix up 2 recipes?

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:36 am
Moonlight wrote:
Looks great but am I not seeing oranges in the picture?

I messed it up as I was posting a beet and orange salad and this butternut squash salad. I am trying to correct it so that the picture goes with the right recipe.

They are both good and both can be prepped ahead of time so they make perfect elegant sides. I wish there was a section for veggie type of sides in this section because these aren't really what most people think of as "salads" and yet aren't really right in the kugel section which I think of as being for heavier starch type of sides.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:38 am
scruffy wrote:
Could I sub kabocha squash? Will it still be good if I omit pine nuts (or is there a cheaper seed/ nut that would work instead)?

Any kind of winter squash would work so kabocha would be fine. Butternut tends to be more available and also for lazy people like myself you can also get it prepped and cubed at most markets.

I am not sure what other kind of seed would work but you could try experimenting with a nut like walnut or pecan. FWIW Trader Joe sells bags of pine nuts which are inexpensive if you are close to one. They are very expensive in most grocery stores and so I try to stock up when I go to Trader Joe.

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:52 am
Amarante wrote:
Any kind of winter squash would work so kabocha would be fine. Butternut tends to be more available and also for lazy people like myself you can also get it prepped and cubed at most markets.

I am not sure what other kind of seed would work but you could try experimenting with a nut like walnut or pecan. FWIW Trader Joe sells bags of pine nuts which are inexpensive if you are close to one. They are very expensive in most grocery stores and so I try to stock up when I go to Trader Joe.

Thanks! We are big squash and tahini lovers so this recipe seems like a match made in heaven Smile

Thank you for the tip re Trader Joes! I do live near one so might go there to purchase pine nuts in the future Smile

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:53 am
scruffy wrote:
Thanks! We are big squash and tahini lovers so this recipe seems like a match made in heaven Smile

Thank you for the tip re Trader Joes! I do live near one so might go there to purchase pine nuts in the future Smile

You can freeze pine nuts or any nuts for a reasonable period of time if you try to have it in as air tight a container or wrap as possible.

The pine nuts add a bit of taste but also contribute a lot to having interesting contrasts in texture which is also important for how *good* a recipe turns out as it is good to have contrasting textures and colors in meals to make it appetizing.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
You can freeze pine nuts or any nuts for a reasonable period of time if you try to have it in as air tight a container or wrap as possible.

The pine nuts add a bit of taste but also contribute a lot to having interesting contrasts in texture which is also important for how *good* a recipe turns out as it is good to have contrasting textures and colors in meals to make it appetizing.

How do you think sunflower or pumpkin seeds would go in this instead?
Thinking either will provide crunch and flavor.

naomi2

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:31 pm
I make this all them time and it is absolutely delicious. You can use pumpkin or sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts. That would taste just as delicious.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:33 am
I made a simpler take off of this - was absolutely delicious! Tysm for posting, its getting to my faves

scruffy

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 7:32 pm
I'm planning to make this for Shabbos. Would pomegranate seeds be a good addition, or would the flavors not work well?

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:00 am
We make this regularly. Love that guy!

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:42 am
scruffy wrote:
I'm planning to make this for Shabbos. Would pomegranate seeds be a good addition, or would the flavors not work well?

I think they would work really well - aside from being really beautiful and adding a bit of textural crunch.

I love pomegranates - I think it reminds me of my childhood as my father would bring one home for us in autumn. Back then we called them Chinese Apples which I found out was a New York localism.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:43 am
Chana Miriam S wrote:
We make this regularly. Love that guy!

So many of his recipes are absolutely brilliant.

And unlike many "restaurant chefs" his food is relatively easy to make for a home cook. He published a newish cookbook that is even "easier" recipes with the same big payoff on flavor.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:46 am
Amarante wrote:
So many of his recipes are absolutely brilliant.

And unlike many "restaurant chefs" his food is relatively easy to make for a home cook. He published a newish cookbook that is even "easier" recipes with the same big payoff on flavor.

Ever had the Gado gado salad? Insane!

scruffy

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 8:46 am
Amarante wrote:
I think they would work really well - aside from being really beautiful and adding a bit of textural crunch.

I love pomegranates - I think it reminds me of my childhood as my father would bring one home for us in autumn. Back then we called them Chinese Apples which I found out was a New York localism.

Thank you!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 9:01 am
Interesting recipe. I often make roasted eggplant for Friday night, which I drizzle with tehinah (homemade, similar recipe), parsley, and paprika. I wonder how that would taste with Zaatar (I have Trader Joe's in the house).

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 9:03 am
Chana Miriam S wrote:
Ever had the Gado gado salad? Insane!

Which cookbook is it from?

I just googled and wow - it seems absolutely delicious in terms of the flavors and pretty easy to make - those are the basic attributes when I am assessing whether to try a new recipe.

I would love to compare his version with some of the really delicious variations that I am finding.

I LOVE satay. Well actually I love peanuts in recipes - African Peanut Soap; Asian dishes with a strong flavor of peanuts or peanut oil LOL

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 9:08 am
Chayalle wrote:
Interesting recipe. I often make roasted eggplant for Friday night, which I drizzle with tehinah (homemade, similar recipe), parsley, and paprika. I wonder how that would taste with Zaatar (I have Trader Joe's in the house).

What could be bad?

In this recipe the zaatar is sprinkled on top so you could just have it out as a condiment and see if it goes well on a small portion. People could make their own decisions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics