Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mother implanted with wrong Embryo
1  2  3  Next

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:13 am
https://vinnews.com/2022/09/22.....etus/
This story horrifies me, think of the halachic implications if they don't discover who the actual parents are.
And emotionally can you imagine what this woman feels like?
After going through all the struggles of IVF and now the child is not even hers?
How do you think this will play out?
I wonder if she will keep the child, if the actual parents will, if there will be lawsuits over this...
Lots of possibilites.

Roseflower

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:16 am
OMG!!
What a story!!

Dahlia

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:18 am
Oy! So scary.

Saralle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:21 am
Wow! This is why we have mashgichim.
Thank you A TIME!

Saralle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:22 am
BTW, according to halacha, the mother is the person who gives birth, so this baby's halachic status is as the woman's child even though they're not genetically related.
I don't know about the father though.

Dahlia

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:23 am
They currently closed this IVF lab. Which is responsible for 25% of the IVF procedures in Israel. Do you think this will make it harder for people to have access to IVF?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:26 am
Ong

Kumphort

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:38 am
So interesting that they caught this now before the baby was born. Curious why they would be DNA testing at this point.

mp5

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:13 pm
This has happened in the US, and both couples in one such story wrote books sharing their perspectives and their journeys. I read both (If I remember correctly, one is called 'Inconceivable', can't think of the name of the other). When I read it I thought about the halachic ramifications had they been Jewish, and thank goodness this would never happen in Israel.
I know there is an option for halachic supervision to prevent this exact situation, but I guess that is not mandatory.
My heart goes out to both couples, I can't even imagine what this is like for them.

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:18 pm
mistakes can always happen. it’s heartbreaking and so complicated

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:20 pm
Dahlia wrote:
They currently closed this IVF lab. Which is responsible for 25% of the IVF procedures in Israel. Do you think this will make it harder for people to have access to IVF?
What, this case or the hospital being closed? I dont think this specific IVF clinic being closed will have any affect on IVF being done in other clinics. It is not the only one by far.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:47 pm
tichellady wrote:
mistakes can always happen. it’s heartbreaking and so complicated

Maybe it's just the way the article quotes the manager, but it sounded so cavalier like, "sure, there will always be a percentage who aren't carrying their own genetic baby." Did the manager mean people who are knowingly using donor egg and sperm, in which case this article misrepresented that terribly, or do they just mean that it's accidental and an accepted fact?

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:58 pm
Saralle wrote:
BTW, according to halacha, the mother is the person who gives birth, so this baby's halachic status is as the woman's child even though they're not genetically related.

Is the bolded for sure universally agreed upon? I thought I remember hearing that the issue of surrogacy is a big machlokes, with some saying the mother is the one who donates the egg and others saying it's the gestational carrier. I'd be very interested in sources about who says what and on what basis.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:21 pm
mp5 wrote:
This has happened in the US, and both couples in one such story wrote books sharing their perspectives and their journeys. I read both (If I remember correctly, one is called 'Inconceivable', can't think of the name of the other). When I read it I thought about the halachic ramifications had they been Jewish, and thank goodness this would never happen in Israel.
I know there is an option for halachic supervision to prevent this exact situation, but I guess that is not mandatory.
My heart goes out to both couples, I can't even imagine what this is like for them.

What a perfect book title

preciousmommy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:08 pm
Saralle wrote:

I sure hope this woman’s brother was not doing IVF in the same lab.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:09 pm
I know someone who was also had a mix up issue with embryos when they did IVF in Israel.

I wonder if it's the same lab.

I wonder how many mix ups there's been.

Edit, after reading the article why am I not surprised the manager is like yeah mix ups happen a lot like it's so chill.

balance

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:13 pm
doctorima wrote:
Is the bolded for sure universally agreed upon? I thought I remember hearing that the issue of surrogacy is a big machlokes, with some saying the mother is the one who donates the egg and others saying it's the gestational carrier. I'd be very interested in sources about who says what and on what basis.

This is not universally agreed on. I know someone who used donated egg and the child had to undergo geirus.

content

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:15 pm
preciousmommy wrote:
I sure hope this woman’s brother was not doing IVF in the same lab.

It’s not her egg, or her husband’s sperm.
Genetically, it wouldn’t be incest.
It would be like being a surrogate for her brother’s family. Or for anyone else.

Of course, being that this is not what they went for, this is horrific for all those involved.

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:26 pm
oh I totally agree that the article made the director sound totally cavalier about a big mistake. I was just saying that I do think mistakes can happen even with a mashgiach but it’s obviously less likely to happen

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:27 pm
doctorima wrote:

definitely different opinions on this. some say it’s assur too
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics