Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Girls high schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:19 am
My oldest daughter will be applying to high school soon. I'm really lost on all the different ones. I'll describe her, can you tell me where you think the best fit would be? She's very smart, straight A student, loves school, doesn't mind hard work, enjoys being challenged, rule follower, very social, loves acting, drawing, getting involved in projects, enjoys extra curricular actives. We are in one of the middle schools not super yeshivish not the most left, but she does very well in more yeshivish circles, she's very aidel in dress and speech. So where do you think we should apply?

keym

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:36 am
You say shes an A student.
How does she do with pressure?
What about peer pressure?
Bais Yaakov is very academic but there's also a lot of academic and social pressure.
Shiras Devorah is academic but there tends to be a bit more "brands" pressure."

Id recommend Oros.

Meiras was planning a nice academic level. I'd look into how that's working out (they have a 10th grade this year)

I know the Bais Faiga high school was planning on filling a lot of what you describe,but they've only been open for 3 weeks so I don't know how much is actually verifiable yet.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:43 am
Don’t allow her to get her heart set on any one school and apply to a nice selection of schools.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
My oldest daughter will be applying to high school soon. I'm really lost on all the different ones. I'll describe her, can you tell me where you think the best fit would be? She's very smart, straight A student, loves school, doesn't mind hard work, enjoys being challenged, rule follower, very social, loves acting, drawing, getting involved in projects, enjoys extra curricular actives. We are in one of the middle schools not super yeshivish not the most left, but she does very well in more yeshivish circles, she's very aidel in dress and speech. So where do you think we should apply?

I want to comment on the end of your paragraph. Do you see your daughter actually moving more to the right, or do you see her ultimately being a product of your home? Because the high school years are much more formative in terms of Hashkafa than elementary school, and you want to choose a school that will work well with who you and your family are as well. So even though your daughter is a rule follower and does fine with more yeshivish circles, sending her to the most right wing school might not be optimal for a child who is a product of your home.

Overall I'd say Oros, Aderes, and Bais Faiga sound like good choices for your DD. BY also has a mix, so that could also be a choice. All of these schools have enough nice, refined BY girls who also are not necessarily super-yeshivish.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:29 pm
Just out of curiosity, what makes a girl or single woman super-yeshivish rather than regular yeshivish?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:33 pm
sequoia wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what makes a girl or single woman super-yeshivish rather than regular yeshivish?

We are probably considered yeshivish by everyone out of lakewood, but in lakewood we are aren't considered so yeshivish. Like very yeshivish don't allow secular books, we allow if we read it and decide it's appropriate etc... I have a smart phone, we have filtered internet...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:35 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I want to comment on the end of your paragraph. Do you see your daughter actually moving more to the right, or do you see her ultimately being a product of your home? Because the high school years are much more formative in terms of Hashkafa than elementary school, and you want to choose a school that will work well with who you and your family are as well. So even though your daughter is a rule follower and does fine with more yeshivish circles, sending her to the most right wing school might not be optimal for a child who is a product of your home.

Overall I'd say Oros, Aderes, and Bais Faiga sound like good choices for your DD. BY also has a mix, so that could also be a choice. All of these schools have enough nice, refined BY girls who also are not necessarily super-yeshivish.

I can see her moving more to the right, but I don't think we would fit in to the most right wing of lakewood. Like I don't see bnos melech high school being a good fit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:37 pm
keym wrote:
You say shes an A student.
How does she do with pressure?
What about peer pressure?
Bais Yaakov is very academic but there's also a lot of academic and social pressure.
Shiras Devorah is academic but there tends to be a bit more "brands" pressure."

Id recommend Oros.

Meiras was planning a nice academic level. I'd look into how that's working out (they have a 10th grade this year)

I know the Bais Faiga high school was planning on filling a lot of what you describe,but they've only been open for 3 weeks so I don't know how much is actually verifiable yet.

She's fine with academic pressure. With peer pressure, she really doesn't care what others do, she does her own thing, I don't know if that will change as she gets older.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:53 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Bais Faiga is an elementary school, I thought.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:54 pm
amother Almond wrote:

I think they just opened a high school this year

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:56 pm
amother Almond wrote:

They opened a high school this year.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can see her moving more to the right, but I don't think we would fit in to the most right wing of lakewood. Like I don't see bnos melech high school being a good fit.

that's why the high schools I mentioned have a yeshivish element, but also not super-yeshivish. I think it can work for you and your daughter simultaneously.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
She's fine with academic pressure. With peer pressure, she really doesn't care what others do, she does her own thing, I don't know if that will change as she gets older.

Then I would recommend Oros, Aderes, and Bais Faiga like Chayalle said

Also Bais Yaakov. Some years it's absolutely impossible to get in. I think last year was a bit "easier" in that they took a few girls who weren't siblings/staff kids/alumni kids.

In general, high schools are a huge mix. There are 20 elementary schools feeding into 10 high schools, there will naturally be a wider range in each school. Both of frumkeit and academic levels.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:09 pm
I would describe my 9th grade daughter in a similar way, and ultimately she got into aderes bh she happy there..

I do think she would've been happy in oros too but its also bigger school and she wouldve gotten lost there..

keym

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:12 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
I would describe my 9th grade daughter in a similar way, and ultimately she got into aderes bh she happy there..

I do think she would've been happy in oros too but its also bigger school and she wouldve gotten lost there..

How big is Aderes? How many classes and how many per class?
My daughter is in Oros. 4 parallels with 30-35 per class.
I didn't think Aderes was much smaller.

sweet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:15 pm
keym wrote:
How big is Aderes? How many classes and how many per class?
My daughter is in Oros. 4 parallels with 30-35 per class.
I didn't think Aderes was much smaller.

My 9th grader has 3 classes, with also 30- 32 girls in a class.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:21 pm
I know all have a mix but what are the main schools feeding into aderes? Trying to get a better feel for the backgrounds of the girls

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know all have a mix but what are the main schools feeding into aderes? Trying to get a better feel for the backgrounds of the girls

I don't know if there are main schools though quite a few girls from Bnos Esther Malka.

sweet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:27 pm
Its a huge mix.

Girls come from bnos hadassa, bnos devora, bnos penina, bnos esther malka, bnos bracha.
Im sure Im missing some schools..

keym

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

The girls I know in Aderes come from Bais Faiga, Bnos Yaakov, Tiferes, and Bnos Devorah

My daughter's class in Oros is from those schools, also Bnos Orchos Chaim, 1 from BRR, 1 from Bais Tova, 1 from Tiferes Chaya, Bnos Bracha.

Basically both those School seem to attract a huge mix of the center Lakewood School.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries