Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
I need a low level menu
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:17 am
Lucky me, I have shingles right before yom tov. We’re a family of 8, and I need to have food to put on my table, but I’m not in such great shape to spend hours in the kitchen. I need help with meal planning, so my husband and kids don’t miss out, but I don’t feel like a train wreck when I’m done. Can anyone help me with a simple, tasteful menu?

tweety1

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:51 am
My go to easy shmeasy. Deli roll. Roll out semi rolled puff pastry sheets. Smear layer of duck sauce. Top With cod cuts. Roll up. Brush with duck sauce. Bake. I don't think any side dish gets easier than this.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:56 am
If you have the money, you might want to consider buying some things to make it easier. Ready prepped meats and chickens would be easier as you just cook them and don't need to worry about what to do with them.

Simanim-
-Apples and honey (no prep needed)
-Carrots, leeks, butternut squash (or pumpkin/other squash)-cut up and add some spices and oil and roast in oven.
-Dates (no prep needed)
-Pomegranate (no prep needed)
-beetroot (buy ready cooked and just cut up)
-Head of fish (buy ready cooked or just put in aluminium foil and bake in oven to cook)
-Rest of fish (wrap up in foil and spice or just pour teriaki or sweet chili and cook in oven)
-Shechiyanu fruit (no prep needed)

Challos

soup for a starter for all the meals-chicken is probably the easier, but make any that you like

Mains-Each main should be enough for 2 meals, so you're only making a couple of different things, rather than 4 different things for each meal. If you really want, you could just make the same thing for all the meals.
-Rolled brisket/bola or whatever-put into oven or pot with some spices and water, leave to cook for 2/3 hours. Then when cold, can slice. Serve cold or hot with sauce.
-Roast chicken-pour duck sauce over (or any other sauce you want).
-Shnitzel or other easy sauce recipe.
-Steak-also easy recipes of just mix sauce and pour over.

Sides-again each side should cover 2 meals worth.
-Rice-add frozen veg, some oil, spices and water-bake in oven around 1 hour.
-Potato kugel
-Sweet kugel such as apple or other kugel of choice.

I like to split out everything into 2 containers and label-so like my steak will be labelled steak meal 1, steak meal 2 to make it easy to find and heat up. And I do the same for all sides and mains I make.

Refuah Shleima

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:30 am
Refuah shleima!
My go to easiest food is whatever's filling: starches. Baby potatoes or red potatoes baked in halves. Orzo with italiam spices. Sweet potato halves or rounds (not peeled). Broccoli kugel is probably the easiest kugel- pour it into a pie crust to be a quiche. I've done frozen eggrolls too.
A roast is simple, pour a bunch of sauces on top, put it in the oven covered and forget about it for a few hours. Dark chicken cutlets taste good even with just salt.
Please buy whatever you can.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:39 am
OP do you have a bikkur cholim you can reach out to for some help? Focus on getting better not cooking.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:58 am
refuah shelaima!!!

go zero patchke. 9x13 meals, toss in the oven with spices and roast. 1 pan dishes only.
simanim: canned beets and black eyed peas, gourd in the oven (can buy frozen cut up).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:59 am
mha3484 wrote:
OP do you have a bikkur cholim you can reach out to for some help? Focus on getting better not cooking.

I did not realize that is a service provided by bikkur cholim, to be honest.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:26 am
Bake rice in the oven

Buy drumsticks- rinse off, spice and bake in oven

You can open a can of sliced potatoes to cook with the drumsticks / in same pan

Buy frozen string beans- pour into a 9x13 pan… sprinkle salt and let it cook in the oven

You can buy frozen chicken nuggets- place in a 9x13 - pour bbq sauce, duck sauce and honey and bake for around 35 minutes. Serve over baked rice

If you’re up to it- cook meat . You can cook a few types in the same pot with spices and duck sauce and small can of tomato sauce (discovered this when my 14 year old son tried to cook for pesach and I was in the hospital with corona). He took all my meat and cooked in the same pot. He just dumped in whatever he found. I wasn’t there but heard about it after. Everyone said the meats were all so good! Didn’t try it but that’s what I heard. So much for having a different recipe for each type of meat…

Please buy some ready made food.

Refuah shelaima!!

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:28 am
I have different health issues and mine has sent me food on numerous occasions. Its a huge help.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:30 am
Really go easy
Buy challah
Simanim (baby carrots, canned beets, etc)
Chicken - just sauce or spice
Meat - quick and easy
Rice /potatoes- just simple recipe
Vegies - anything cut up w olive oil salt and pepper
Dessert. Ice cream
Serve night meal 2x and day meal 2x
Done
Refuah shelaima

egam

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:40 am
mha3484 wrote:

This.

Also try to delegate most things to your husband and older kids. And if they are absolutely incapable, reach out to your friends and see if they can do a meal train for you. If a few friends will make one dish each, you'll be much better off. I would give them ingredients though.

Refuah Sheleima.

scintilla

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:42 am
Refuah sheleimah! I second the bikur cholim suggestions. When my aunt broke her arm with small kids, my local one sent her suppers and shabbos until she was back to cooking.

If you do need to cook, get chicken bottoms and put vegetables underneath - if you are up to simanim, baby carrots work, potatoes are delicious, sliced onion is great too. Sprinkle spices on top, put the chicken on, bake uncovered for an hour and then covered for another hour. Super soft and delicious. I do pepper, garlic, parsley, onion powder and paprika, generous with all of them. No oil, salt or mixing needed.

Even less involved - pour literally any sauce over chicken. It will be good and filling.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:04 pm
I don't know where you live if you're not sure if you're local bikur cholim would be able to assist...

In the three cities I've lived, bikur cholims and nsheis would totally step in and help if they knew there is a need!!

Last year I had to reach out for help. I really didn't want to and was embarrassed, but I wasn't functioning (think falling asleep at the table while others were eating- so weak and lacking appetite-- before my diagnosis. I'm good bli ayin hara)
My husband told me- THIS IS WHO THEY ARE THERE FOR!!! NOT only major cases!! Also minor ones.

Reach out. The sooner the better because it's almost YT

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:06 pm
I live in Lakewood. So not a small town. Don’t really have money for takeout, as I am going to run out of PTO before I can use my extended illness bank.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in Lakewood. So not a small town. Don’t really have money for takeout, as I am going to run out of PTO before I can use my extended illness bank.

Lakewood bikur cholim definitely delivers home cooked meals
I know people who cook food for them

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:13 pm
amother Violet wrote:
Lakewood bikur cholim definitely delivers home cooked meals
I know people who cook food for them

I just asked my husband to call them. I appreciate all the help!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

Totally having nothing to do with RH meal planning- is there a Lakewood organization that can help with rent if I’m not going to get my next paycheck?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:48 pm
Lay colorful baby potatoes and baby carrots on the bottom of an extra deep 9x13 pan. Lay a large French/brick or 2nd cut brisket over the potatoes. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic and lots! of salt (top and bottom). Cover and bake until fork tender. Slice thickly straight at the table (can bring on a pretty platter).

For a corned beef, take it out of the plastic. Put it in an extra deep 9x13. Water to just barely cover. Cover tightly and bake at 300 for 4 hours.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lay colorful baby potatoes and baby carrots on the bottom of an extra deep 9x13 pan. Lay a large French/brick or 2nd cut brisket over the potatoes. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic and lots! of salt (top and bottom). Cover and bake until fork tender. Slice thickly straight at the table (can bring on a pretty platter).

For a corned beef, take it out of the plastic. Put it in an extra deep 9x13. Water to just barely cover. Cover tightly and bake at 300 for 4 hours.

Does the French roast fall apart when slicing? Do you add any liquid?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 8:24 pm
amother Violet wrote:
Does the French roast fall apart when slicing? Do you add any liquid?

It could fall apart a bit which is why thick slices are required.
The regular way to bake is just until done, chill overnight. Slice reheat in pan juices.
This is the quick verison.
Toss baby potatoes with oil and seasoning. No water for the potatoes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur