Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mother implanted with wrong Embryo
Previous  1  2  3  Next

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:50 pm
Is this why Frum infertility organizations use mashgichim in the process?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:58 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Yes.

banana123

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:33 pm
Saralle wrote:
Wow! This is why we have mashgichim.
Thank you A TIME!

Machon Puah also offers this service. Not sure how much it costs but it is offered and widely used.

banana123

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:35 pm
Saralle wrote:
BTW, according to halacha, the mother is the person who gives birth, so this baby's halachic status is as the woman's child even though they're not genetically related.
I don't know about the father though.

The child of a married woman is assumed to be her husband's, from a halachic perspective.

This is why we have Yeshu as the son of Yosef (that was his mother's husband's name), even though the gemara practically names a specific Roman soldier as Yeshu's father.

HakolTov

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:00 pm
What exactly is the role of a mashgiach? They just double check that the right egg and sperm is there?

potatokugel1

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:18 pm
This thread reminds me of this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....obson

lucky14

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 12:02 am
Kumphort wrote:
So interesting that they caught this now before the baby was born. Curious why they would be DNA testing at this point.

Wondering the same thing.

losingweight

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 12:09 am
Sorry if I sound dumb, the embryo that was implanted in her was from one couple or a random couple produced this baby? In which case this child belongs nowhere. nebech

banana123

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 2:19 am
lucky14 wrote:
Wondering the same thing.

I understood that the fetus had some kind of issue, and as part of the testing process, genetic testing was done as well. It was then that someone realized - not sure how - that possibly this wasn't the couple's genetic offspring, prompting further genetic testing which revealed the truth.

byisrael

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 4:58 am
SuperWify wrote:

YES

Apparently this is not the first nor will it be that last time that this has happened

They even made a movie based on a true story - an IVF doctor who was using his own sperm instead of the fathers and had tens of children before the caught him....

In Israel Machon Puah, Tahareinu, and Bonei Olam all offer this service.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 5:25 am
byisrael wrote:
YES

Apparently this is not the first nor will it be that last time that this has happened

They even made a movie based on a true story - an IVF doctor who was using his own sperm instead of the fathers and had tens of children before the caught him....

In Israel Machon Puah, Tahareinu, and Bonei Olam all offer this service.
While that is awful, its a whole different kind of awful, this incident was a mistake on the labs part and thats awful as well. But these two things are awful for different reasonds. That doc should rot in hell and have his license taken away for what he did.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 6:55 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
While that is awful, its a whole different kind of awful, this incident was a mistake on the labs part and thats awful as well. But these two things are awful for different reasonds. That doc should rot in hell and have his license taken away for what he did.

He is dead

Kumphort

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:00 am
banana123 wrote:
I understood that the fetus had some kind of issue, and as part of the testing process, genetic testing was done as well. It was then that someone realized - not sure how - that possibly this wasn't the couple's genetic offspring, prompting further genetic testing which revealed the truth.

So that makes the dilemma that much worse. They are going to give birth to a baby with genetic issues they is not even their baby.

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:01 am
Moonlight wrote:
He is dead

Netflix made a documentary about this doctor. He's very much alive
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Cline

Moonlight

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:09 am
essie14 wrote:
Netflix made a documentary about this doctor. He's very much alive
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Cline

Oops then there are 2.
Someone posted on page 1 abt a dr that did this and he died in 2021

TWeiss

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:13 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:
https://vinnews.com/2022/09/22/dna-test-at-israeli-hospital-reveals-woman-in-3rd-trimester-carrying-genetically-unrelated-fetus/
This story horrifies me, think of the halachic implications if they don't discover who the actual parents are.
And emotionally can you imagine what this woman feels like?
After going through all the struggles of IVF and now the child is not even hers?
How do you think this will play out?
I wonder if she will keep the child, if the actual parents will, if there will be lawsuits over this...
Lots of possibilites.

As a frum woman who ivf is a nes for, I’m just so thankful and feel blessed that we require a mashgiach

banana123

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:41 am
Kumphort wrote:
So that makes the dilemma that much worse. They are going to give birth to a baby with genetic issues they is not even their baby.

Not necessarily. There are many questions that come up and counseling and testing are suggested and it turns out the baby is just fine.

Because in Israel these tests are free if they are necessary, the general practice is to do whatever tests may be necessary, and better extra stress than a nasty surprise later on. Especially since many issues can be fixed immediately after birth, if you know ahead of time.

For all we know the tests came back fine but questions were raised regarding the fetus' parenthood.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:44 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yes.

Amazing. And such a relief for the many people who conceived using one.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:46 am
potatokugel1 wrote:
This thread reminds me of this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....obson

Ew. I watched the documentary. Crazy how he got away with nothing!!!

DrMom

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:15 am
Quote:
“There is a certain percentage of women who carry a pregnancy that is not theirs or give birth to a child that is not exactly theirs,” the unidentified manager told Channel 12.

What does the bolded mean?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics