Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Don't forget to write a PRUZBAL

keym

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:05 pm
This is just a PSA reminder.
Especially if you have loaned any significant money (even family loans). Without writing a pruzbal, you cannot collect the loan after Rosh Hashanah.

chili-n-cholent

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:47 am
Can you clarify what exactly it is? I never really learned about it properly.

anon12

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:04 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:
Can you clarify what exactly it is? I never really learned about it properly.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....zbul/

keym

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:07 am
The basic halacha is that at the end of shmitta, all debts (between Jews) are anulled and after shmitta ends, one cannot collect their debt.
Practically if you were to lend me $50,000 today, after Shmitta ends, you can NOT ask me to pay back any of it.
Hillel established the halachic precedent of Pruzbal. Practically it means that before shmitta ends, you assign halachic culpability for collecting the debt to a Bais Din. It's a halachic loophole. I'm not sure exactly how.

But if you were to write a Pruzbal, then you can continue to collect the payments of that $50,000 that you lent me. Without a Pruzbal, you cannot.

chili-n-cholent

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:23 am
Thanks for the explanation!

imanotmommy

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:25 am
Note that it's recommended to have one even if you don't think you lent anything. It's not difficult and prevents potential shailahs that could come up

Plonis

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:28 am
The reason why it was established is because people became hesitant to give loans altogether since some people would just wait for Shemitah to get out of paying.

It’s important for Jews to freely lend to each other, so Pruzbul was set up.

A husband can be a shliach for his wife to make a Pruzbul or you can fill out a form yourself. It’s best to loan a small amount of money to someone so you are actually transferring at least one loan.

If you’re not sure if you have any outstanding loans, do a Pruzbul just in case!

imamommy5

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 9:32 pm
Thanks! You saved me!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions