Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Regret the wood stain color I chose:(

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:12 am
Floor guy did stain samples and I chose one based on the sample and no clue it's not the actual color as they still put 4 coats of finishings. Its so much darker in reality!! Was going for a more natraul look.

Am I the only one this happened to? Ugh. I'm so upset! I absolutely hate how it came out and they can't even redo it now because it's too fast and it will ruin the wood:(

[img]C:\fakepath\IMG-20220918-WA0000.jpg[/img]

[img]C:\fakepath\IMG-20220920-WA0012.jpg[/img]

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:28 am
Your pics don't work. Sad

I'm sorry this happened to you. It's painful when things don't turn out as planned.

Let me tell you a story: When I was a kallah and order my furniture I chose a specific fabric in maroon and gold, but when it was delivered, there was no maroon; it was solid gold. It really bothered me. When I called the store they told that if it still bothered me in two weeks I should call back and they would change it.

Two weeks went by and it didn't bother me any more.

For whatever reason, this was bashert to happen to you. And thought it rankles now, it might not bother you so much in a few weeks from now. Give it time, since there's not much you can do about it now anyway.

If you really want, try to lighten up the floor with some light colored, pretty patterned rugs that match the rest of your decor. It can turn out stunning. Don't worry.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:58 am
Thanks for your reply. I know it's not the end of the world and ill get over it.
But it's bothering me why they don't do the sample with all the coatings, or at least let us know it's not actually like the sample.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:00 am
Wait a bit and redo them soon.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:03 am
How fast can I redo them?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:06 am
https://abutterflyhouse.com/do.....olor/

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:07 am
Mine also came out much darker than we thought. after 2-3 washes it got lighter and stayed that way

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:27 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
https://abutterflyhouse.com/dont-like-wood-stain-color/

Thanks but the the finish was done already on top of stain.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:39 am
The darkness largely depends on what type of coating is put on. An oil-based coating will always make it darker and yellow, while a water-based coating will retain the original color but will come off quicker. At least you know for next time. Sorry for the disappointment!

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:02 am
I am sorry that the color didn't turn out the way you wanted. I had custom cabinets done for my kitchen and bath and I agonized over picking the exact shade I wanted. We went back and forth and finally picked the exact color I wanted - they did a sample door and I had to initial it. Mine are exactly the stain I had selected.

They were hired for their expertise and you paid them for their expertise. If the color is NOT what you selected it is their responsibility to fix it at their expense. They are the ones who would know whether the finish would impact the final color because AGAIN they are the expert and you selected the color assuming that would be the final result and that they would take everything into consideration to achieve that result.

I am not a flooring expert but I would be suspicious of their excuse for not correcting their error. I am suspicious that they are feeding you a line because they hope you won't demand that you get what you had agreed upon and what you had paid for.

The problem with not doing it now is that it is really a tremendous hassle to refinish a floor AFTER you move in because all of the furniture has to be moved and you can't use the floors while they cure. That is why people do everything possible to make refinishing floors a priority when they buy a house that needs work on the floors.

I would suggest the following

Go to houzz.com forums and ask whether the flooring people are feeding you a line about not being able to change the color "so soon"

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/flooring

Even if the color can't be changed so quickly I would negotiate a significant discount on the work because you did not get what you paid for and you should be compensated for that in some way. Depending on how much you dislike the color you will be paying to refinish in the future which will cost money. You could start with with telling them to start from scratch since it was their mistake (I.e. put down new wood) and take it from there.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:03 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
The darkness largely depends on what type of coating is put on. An oil-based coating will always make it darker and yellow, while a water-based coating will retain the original color but will come off quicker. At least you know for next time. Sorry for the disappointment!

Yep that's exactly what happened, darker and yellow. So doesn't match in my house. Oh well.

tweety1

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:11 am
Op, mine came out much lighter. I hate hate my floors. A few years later already

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 1:04 pm
Thanks Amarante. I actually called a few different floor contractors to see if that's how they do the samples and they all said yes. So it's really unfortunate that I didn't know and no one told me it's not actually that color with the finish.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 1:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks Amarante. I actually called a few different floor contractors to see if that's how they do the samples and they all said yes. So it's really unfortunate that I didn't know and no one told me it's not actually that color with the finish.

I don’t understand how they can do a sample knowing the color will be different and not telling the client. That would be unacceptable to me because it would be reasonable to assume that the color I selected would be the color I would get and the installer would use their expertise. To achieve the agreed upon color knowing exactly how the process would interact.

I would never accept that from a professional because they would know how to adjust to get the color I actually wanted. That is what I would be paying them to do.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 2:29 pm
I just redid my wood floors and I was told multiple times that the color won't be exactly the same as the samples since there will be multiple coats and finishes. I'm not super happy with the color but I was warned...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating