Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you let your dd 10 go swimming with friends?
Previous  1  2

Do you let dc go swim with friends?
Yes of course!  
 51%  [ 16 ]
Depends, sometimes, not always (explain).  
 25%  [ 8 ]
No, never, it's not safe!  
 16%  [ 5 ]
Other (explain)  
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 31

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 3:30 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Not all camps

Ok the camps that I’ve sent to (2 different ones) and that people in my circles go to. I myself learned in daycamp (way back when) too.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 3:33 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Kids in camp
In the US have instructional swim. My daughter learned to swim pretty ‘late’ in my circles at age 6 in daycamp

No they don’t. I lived in 3 big cities in the us. No one has instructional swim. How can you make statements about the whole us?

Fabulous

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 3:42 pm
I find that bungalow colony day camps give swim instruction- usually twice a week. I don’t know many city day camps that give as often or even at all. Some of the large ones, maybe

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 3:45 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
No they don’t. I lived in 3 big cities in the us. No one has instructional swim. How can you make statements about the whole us?

I’ll revise to say IME.

When she was 6 she had instructional swim 3x a week.

At 7 she had instructional swim 5x a week.

As I said in my circles this is the Norm (in other camps that my fiends send their kids to)

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 3:58 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:

I’ve never seen a camp that has a pool not have instructional swim. Why don’t they offer instructional swim?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 4:32 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I’ve never seen a camp that has a pool not have instructional swim. Why don’t they offer instructional swim?

Usually because too many kids, no space in the pool to do it and not enough staff to split into groups.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 4:34 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

My son’s camp doesn’t have instructional swim.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 4:47 pm
I've sent to many many daycamps in Lakewood and ONE had instructional swim for one year then stopped.

Pretty much everyone I know sends their kids to private lessons.

I guess swimming lessons in camp is a regional thing.

......as for the counselors keeping an eye on the kids in the pool......If the even "officially" are supposed to, I am not relying on that for any added safety! The reality is your counselors are schmoozing w eachother and the lifeguards are watching the pool.

amother
Ebony

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 4:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would you let your 10 y/o dd go to a public swimming pool with a friend and the friend's mother? Dd doesn't know how to swim! She promised to stay in the shallow part but I had not a good feeling about it and said no. Now she's having a major meltdown about how "everyone" else lets their children go, even if they don't know how to swim.
So, do you let your non-swimming dc go to a pool with friends and their parents? We're in Israel, but I posted it here for a wider range of opinions.

If the friends mom is going, I would call the mom and ask her what she thinks, tell her my daughter doesn’t know how to swim, will you watch her and make sure she is in the shallow? Ask her?

But as a mom we are allowed to say no when we feel something isn’t safe for our child, it’s our job.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics