Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
No fruit on keto?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:05 am
I don't know why I assumed all fruits were ok to have while on a keto diet?

no?

I have insulin resistance so was trying out keto (didnt read a book about it, but I am off gluten, no sugar, I'm not having chicken or meat aside from a small peice on shabbos) but I am most certainly having fruit!

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:10 am
Keto is a lot more than just off gluten and sugar. It is an extremely low carb diet. I think there are ways to incorporate small amounts of low sugar fruits and still maintain ketosis, but my understanding is that this will be based on your bio individuality and many other factors. And fruit definitely don’t figure prominently into a ketogenic diet.

That being said, it is possible to reverse insulin resistance while still eating fruit. Look into dr Joel fuhrman and the nutrirarian diet for one example. There are other ways to do this as well.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:15 am
What you're describing isn't keto, but if it works for you, go for it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't know why I assumed all fruits were ok to have while on a keto diet?

no?

I have insulin resistance so was trying out keto (didnt read a book about it, but I am off gluten, no sugar, I'm not having chicken or meat aside from a small peice on shabbos) but I am most certainly having fruit!

Why aren’t you eating meat or chicken? Those are a main part of the keto diet.

What are you eating?

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:42 am
You didn’t read a book and presumably you are not under the care of a nutrition professional. So where are you getting your information and what are you basing your information off of?

fiji

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:13 pm
Did keto for 1.5 years. Most fruits are not ok to have. I would have some strawberries or Blueberries in moderation.

As the pp wrote, chicken and meat are mainstays of keyo. I think you need to do some more research.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:24 pm
It really depends what your goals are. It doesn’t sound as though you’re willing to go further than you are, so be it. You don’t need to have a label for what works for you, it just has to work for you.

I’ve been very low carb for five plus years. I weighed 315 pounds when I started and lost a lot of weight plus reversed my type 2 diabetes aka insulin resistance.

I feel amazing every day. I recently started nursing school at 54.

I didn’t eat fruit for a long time but after a few years ate berries. I don’t particularly think they work for me but I don’t cheat at all, so the sweetest thing I eat is blueberries.

The key for me is eating in a way that makes me peaceful. That didn’t happen until I stopped eating fruit entirely and was then able to ‘hear’ my body without the insulin reactions that were causing me to eat like a maniac.

Sustainability is key. You have to do what works for you and the hardest thing to do is be honest about that.

My happy place is no sugar/sweetener/grains or pseudo grains. I eat minimal, typically local fruit in season. I’m allergic to stone fruit. Being very honest when I say hat eating fruit makes it harder for me to maintain and I know that my eating fruit impairs my ability to do what’s best for me. Nuts also can cause me problems.

Your mileage may vary.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:25 pm
Also, what you are doing does not sound at all like keto. What are you eating for protein?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:17 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Nuts also can cause me problems.

Your mileage may vary.
why?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 12:26 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
why?

Behaviourally easy to overdo. Cheese too.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:10 am
got it. clearly im not doing keto.

but maybe I should?

I eat a ton of fruit. as well as vegetables. Is that really bad for my insulin resistance?

also, this is not necessarily specific to keto, is a little cheating allowed? I'm off dairy, but if I put a 2 tablespoons of shredded mozerlla cheese into my scrambled eggs, is that going to throw off the "no dairy"?

im not really following any diet. just trying to feel my way to a sustainable eating habit. but I know dairy isn't good for me. so would the little cheese make that big of a difference?

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:18 am
amother OP wrote:
got it. clearly im not doing keto.

but maybe I should?

I eat a ton of fruit. as well as vegetables. Is that really bad for my insulin resistance?

also, this is not necessarily specific to keto, is a little cheating allowed? I'm off dairy, but if I put a 2 tablespoons of shredded mozerlla cheese into my scrambled eggs, is that going to throw off the "no dairy"?

im not really following any diet. just trying to feel my way to a sustainable eating habit. but I know dairy isn't good for me. so would the little cheese make that big of a difference?

Do you crave fruit?

If 2T of cheese will “ruin” no dairy really depends on why you are dairy free, and your personal level of gut health/sensitivity/intolerance.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:38 am
im insulin resistant and prediabetic. my number did go down from a1c 5.9 to 5.7 bh, but I want it to go all the way down.

if I knew I could have one bowl of pasta and cheese every week , and my progess wont be ruined, I would be a happy camper. but if I am going to ruin my progress than its just not worth it

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:45 am
amother OP wrote:
im insulin resistant and prediabetic. my number did go down from a1c 5.9 to 5.7 bh, but I want it to go all the way down.

if I knew I could have one bowl of pasta and cheese every week , and my progess wont be ruined, I would be a happy camper. but if I am going to ruin my progress than its just not worth it
In keto, the cheese wouldn’t be a problem but the pasta would. If you get a blood sugar monitor and learn your own patterns you could potentially figure out ways to eat pasta without raising your blood sugar too much so it doesn’t sabotage your efforts but may also not be possible.

What about keto approved noodles with cheese?

Are you taking supplements to help with blood sugar regulation?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:50 am
I also have a good 35lbs to lose and dont wanna mess that up.

I recently started taking inositol but its probably too soon to see results from that.

what other supplements can I take to help with blood sugar (and insulin resistance!)

so appreciate all the help and advice.

drs are so quick to jump to medication and im just not interested in going that route before trying my best the natural route

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:52 am
amother OP wrote:
I also have a good 35lbs to lose and dont wanna mess that up.

I recently started taking inositol but its probably too soon to see results from that.

what other supplements can I take to help with blood sugar (and insulin resistance!)

so appreciate all the help and advice.

drs are so quick to jump to medication and im just not interested in going that route before trying my best the natural route
Berberine, ttfd, magnesium, electrolytes, chromium, cinnamon

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:57 am
you've seen these help? in how long would I see results?

do they just bring down the a1c or I would also notice weight loss?

where do I buy them? a particular brand? capsuls or powder?

THANK YOU

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 9:53 pm
Fruit, especially’tons’ will not help your insulin resistance.

You need to get some guidance. To me, what you are doing does not sound sustainable at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise