Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Low fat potato kugel recipe and question

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:45 pm
I found the recipe below on kosher.com-can anyone please approximate for me about how many pounds of potatoes the 5 Idaho potatoes would be?-because it can be such a big range and then maybe oversalted or undersalted, for ex.. TIA!

Kugel

5 Idaho potatoes

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 and 1/3 teaspoon salt

1 and 1/2 cup boiling water

2 tablespoons oil

1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:

Grate potatoes into eggs.

Add spices and boiling water and mix well.

Heat oil in 9x13 pan, greasing all sides of pan.

Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake for 1/2 hour at 500°F, then reduce heat to 450°F and bake for additional hour

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I found the recipe below on kosher.com-can anyone please approximate for me about how many pounds of potatoes the 5 Idaho potatoes would be?-because it can be such a big range and then maybe oversalted or undersalted, for ex.. TIA!

Kugel

5 Idaho potatoes

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 and 1/3 teaspoon salt

1 and 1/2 cup boiling water

2 tablespoons oil

1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:

Grate potatoes into eggs.

Add spices and boiling water and mix well.

Heat oil in 9x13 pan, greasing all sides of pan.

Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake for 1/2 hour at 500°F, then reduce heat to 450°F and bake for additional hour

The large loose potatoes are usually half a pound each. So it looks like 2.5 pounds.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:10 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
The large loose potatoes are usually half a pound each. So it looks like 2.5 pounds.

Thank you!

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:30 pm
Actually, in my experience, the large loose potatoes are 1 lb each.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 6:43 am
Thank you both-so this is the problem with potato kugel recipes! Now I have no clue as to what to do! I would really like to make this recipe for yom tov and would appreciate any advice!!

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 6:59 am
My potato kugel recipe calls for 10 potatoes, or 5lb I which case first poster is correct although I try not to pick out the real large ones or I cut the count to 8-9

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 7:40 am
liveandlove.ima wrote:
My potato kugel recipe calls for 10 potatoes, or 5lb I which case first poster is correct although I try not to pick out the real large ones or I cut the count to 8-9

Hmm ty, does that line up with2 eggs and a little more than a tspn of salt?-Bc I've seen potato kugel recipes with varying numbers of potatoes

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 8:02 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you both-so this is the problem with potato kugel recipes! Now I have no clue as to what to do! I would really like to make this recipe for yom tov and would appreciate any advice!!

You can easily check this by weighing your potatoes on a kitchen scale.
My recipe calls for 5 lbs, so I adjust the amount of potatoes based on whether I have larger or smaller potatoes.
I recommend you weigh out about 4 lbs for your recipe and see if you like the taste. Based on how that comes out, you'll know if you need more or less potatoes for the next round. Hatzlacha.
Pkl

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 9:31 am
amother Pewter wrote:
You can easily check this by weighing your potatoes on a kitchen scale.
My recipe calls for 5 lbs, so I adjust the amount of potatoes based on whether I have larger or smaller potatoes.
I recommend you weigh out about 4 lbs for your recipe and see if you like the taste. Based on how that comes out, you'll know if you need more or less potatoes for the next round. Hatzlacha.
Pkl

Ty, I weigh EVERYTHING on my scale, I love it! I just don't know how much it should add up to in this case!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 9:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Ty, I weigh EVERYTHING on my scale, I love it! I just don't know how much it should add up to in this case!

I understand. I'm saying that there isn't an answer to your question because the size of Idaho potatoes can vary a lot.
My best suggestion is to weigh out 4 lbs, and see if you like that.
My 5 lb recipe calls for 2 tsp salt.
So, based on that, I think 4 lbs is good for 1.5 tsp of salt.
But try it and adjust for next time if necessary.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 10:15 am
Can I adjust your recipe op?
If your 5 Idaho potatoes are big ones, use at least 3 eggs. If you’re avoiding egg yolks to go low fat, use two eggs and two or three whites The salt sounds okay, but I’d use one and a half teaspoons, depends on your taste. The oil is fine.
What stood out to me is that huge amount of boiling water. That might be a mistake. One half cup is perfect, at most use a full cup. Don’t use one and a half cups water to five potatoes. I don’t know what effect the cook is going for but it sounds way off.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:05 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Can I adjust your recipe op?
If your 5 Idaho potatoes are big ones, use at least 3 eggs. If you’re avoiding egg yolks to go low fat, use two eggs and two or three whites The salt sounds okay, but I’d use one and a half teaspoons, depends on your taste. The oil is fine.
What stood out to me is that huge amount of boiling water. That might be a mistake. One half cup is perfect, at most use a full cup. Don’t use one and a half cups water to five potatoes. I don’t know what effect the cook is going for but it sounds way off.

I will try one cup water, I have 3 pounds (5 potatoes) and will use 3 eggs & report back-thanks all!

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:09 pm
I would follow the recipe. There were other threads where women wrote it worked well the way it was, the 1.5 cups water was there to make it work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics