Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Surfview cottage Ami serial.. Leah is my friend IRL
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9 10  11  12  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:19 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
So wts everyone’s take on the ending

I really hated the ending! Really and truly. I thought that there wasn’t any closure with anything. What happened with yitzy and Rikki’s marriage ? Did they ever leave Brooklyn? Did Leah close on the house (the end of the story showed she was just in contract, not that she closed on the house ), and most importantly, what ended up happening with the friendship? Just because rikki anti-climatically blocked her number doesn’t mean the friendship was over, she is obviously still showing many signs that she would fall right back into Leah’s trap. The last few paragraphs in the story showed how she is still being abused by Leah- for example when Leah told her to get a package from her husband and she didn’t say “tell him to drop it off by me and I’ll bring it when I come, I can’t go out of my way to pick it up”, and when Leah was nasty to her in the text messages and phone call she didn’t stand up for herself. At all. She timidly was still taking abuse, up until the last paragraph.
Chaya gross tends to do this. Write a juicy story and then leave it hanging.

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:19 pm
What was the ending?

amother
Melon

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:46 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
I really hated the ending! Really and truly. I thought that there wasn’t any closure with anything. What happened with yitzy and Rikki’s marriage ? Did they ever leave Brooklyn? Did Leah close on the house (the end of the story showed she was just in contract, not that she closed on the house ), and most importantly, what ended up happening with the friendship? Just because rikki anti-climatically blocked her number doesn’t mean the friendship was over, she is obviously still showing many signs that she would fall right back into Leah’s trap. The last few paragraphs in the story showed how she is still being abused by Leah- for example when Leah told her to get a package from her husband and she didn’t say “tell him to drop it off by me and I’ll bring it when I come, I can’t go out of my way to pick it up”, and when Leah was nasty to her in the text messages and phone call she didn’t stand up for herself. At all. She timidly was still taking abuse, up until the last paragraph.
Chaya gross tends to do this. Write a juicy story and then leave it hanging.

All so that the readers beg for another follow up serial , like the last one she ran.. :-)

it’s okay!

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:08 pm
I expected that the story is ending. The usually start a new serial on sukkas. But I really wanted a better ending. Not necessarily a happy one, but an ending with more resolutions. Like what happens when she goes back to the bungalow?

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:39 pm
It was a very abrupt ending, blocking Leah's number so didn't solve the issue at all. It looks like the author was forced to make a crash landing. I assume there will be a sequel in the Succos edition.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:50 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
It was a very abrupt ending, blocking Leah's number so didn't solve the issue at all. It looks like the author was forced to make a crash landing. I assume there will be a sequel in the Succos edition.

What do you mean by abrupt landing ?
This last chapter could have given closure in such a nice way. I’m fact, I would have loved if the story ended this week, just with a more satisfying ending, which it absolutely could have had. The author clearly chose not to give that to the readers. Nothing to do with her finding out that the story had to end. (And I doubt that happened, I’m sure with serials in magazines they are told from the get go how many weeks the story will go on for, I highly doubt ami just randomly called the author and said “you better finish up this week”)
I wish I wasn’t as invested in the story! Normally I couldn’t care less about this stuff , but for some reason I got really into it and was really hoping for a decent ending , even if it wasn’t the most perfect ending.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:07 am
Wait, was this the last chapter?

rachelli66

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:15 am
Very Disappointed with the ending. Too many issues not settled. The one thing she did settle was trying to show her DH that she is cutting off Leah's number. I would have liked to see the DH going to the bungalow colony, packing up, bring home the kids, and look for a new area out of town far from Leah. (plus more of course).

6000miles

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:40 am
So I'm not a writer but I'm an avid reader.
While I didn't love the ending and it was pretty abrupt, it made me think. It's called an open-ending in literature.

Especially in this story, the reader must think "but what happens next?" It is so important.

What happens next?

Her husband probably goes up to pack up the stuff, she has to cut her summer vacation short, and she has to start therapy which will be brutal.

They did mention that Leah DID NOT sign the contract yet, so maybe she didn't even get the house and in the end, Rikki did get it, they move to Lakewood and she has to adjust to a new life which will be hard for her.

Basically, Rikki has a ton of work, self-growth, self-discovery and trauma work..... And it will be a tough grind for her.

So another moral of the story, when you think about it, even after the end, there's lots of work to be done. (besides for the awareness it brings about toxic relationships.)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:44 am
Very bad ending with no closure
It was as if someone was forcing the author to end the story

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:07 am
6000miles wrote:
So I'm not a writer but I'm an avid reader.
While I didn't love the ending and it was pretty abrupt, it made me think. It's called an open-ending in literature.

Especially in this story, the reader must think "but what happens next?" It is so important.

What happens next?

Her husband probably goes up to pack up the stuff, she has to cut her summer vacation short, and she has to start therapy which will be brutal.

They did mention that Leah DID NOT sign the contract yet, so maybe she didn't even get the house and in the end, Rikki did get it, they move to Lakewood and she has to adjust to a new life which will be hard for her.

Basically, Rikki has a ton of work, self-growth, self-discovery and trauma work..... And it will be a tough grind for her.

So another moral of the story, when you think about it, even after the end, there's lots of work to be done. (besides for the awareness it brings about toxic relationships.)

OR
She continues being ruled by Leah

Daliya

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:33 am
I disagree with most of you here. I liked the ending very, very much. That's literature, ladies. They don't spell out every single detail for you. I think the fact that she traveled home to speak with her husband was a drastic step to a great beginning. And she blocked Leah's number. And she said she's ready to go for help. It's also pretty obvious that Leah will end up living in Lakewood. What more do you want to know?
Also, if you'll look closely, you'll notice at the top of the page (near the title) it says Summer Serial, so it was expected to end now.
Sunview Cottage was truly amazing! A huge shoutout to Chaya Gross! Keep your stories coming!

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:30 pm
Really bad ending. Very disappointed. She can unblock the number in a minute and she is going back to the bungalow...

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:35 pm
well good for her that she sent Leah that message about needing a break from her. That's definitely a first step.
And you can see that Riki is finally noticing what an issue Leah is

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:49 pm
I really thought this week there would be an epilogue. Super disappointed. The writer literally left us hanging last week. Such a bad ending! No closure.
I get those who are saying not every question should be answered at the end of the story, but this was ridiculous. Almost nothing was answered!!!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:55 pm
While I am glad she realized she needed to prioritize her marriage, travelled home, blocked Leah's number, and sent her that text message the ending was very very abrupt. Unfortunately it is very rare that someone reads a bunch of articles the light goes on and they live happily ever after. Yes I know Yehudis helped shine light on the situation as well. The ending would have been better had it been fleshed out more. Very very abrupt. Like hey what?! thats it?!
Wish it were that simple.
And for all that serials can get shlepped out....the ending could've taken more time to come to a satisfying conclusion even were it the same. This was like BOOM THE END.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:40 pm
Such a silly ending. It seems like the author had to stop suddenly for some reason.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:08 pm
Really weird
The story dragged on and on but just didn’t end .
Usually the writer comes back to explain why she wrote the story etc
There was no closure at all

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:08 pm
Even if it were more of her internal thinking revealed and the struggle and decision. That would’ve helped. And more emotion and communication between the two of them. And some kind of plan to stay on the right path.
That’s literature.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:16 pm
You know what the real issue is here?
They’re still in the middle of the summer! In order to end the story they have to come back from the bungalow colony. It can’t just end in the middle of the summer.
Anyway I hope the author sees this and explains why she ended like that.
She’ll probably want to publish a book and write on the cover that there are a few more chapters so we’ll buy the book to see what happens
Page 9 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 8  9 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room