Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with figs?

hodeez

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 6:31 pm
I bought a little too much, what can I do with them ? The recipes ive found online are pretty involved and I don't really have that time or commitment ATM.

amother
Cherry

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 6:32 pm
following cuz I have a fig tree with lots of figs not sure what to do with them

dena613

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 7:07 pm
No clue, but please look at website like crc, stark, ou etc. to find out how to check them.

It's supposedly complicated.

Eating bugs is several lavim, and there's no mitzva to eat figs. So make sure you know how to check them.

RH kasher vesameiach! Very Happy

(Is there a minhag in some communities to eat figs?)

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 7:42 pm
Check them Rolling Laughter

I love figs but get stuck on that part...

DrMom

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 8:36 pm
dena613 wrote:
No clue, but please look at website like crc, stark, ou etc. to find out how to check them.

It's supposedly complicated.

Eating bugs is several lavim, and there's no mitzva to eat figs. So make sure you know how to check them.

RH kasher vesameiach! Very Happy

(Is there a minhag in some communities to eat figs?)

Figs are one of the Shivat Minim. There may not be a mitzvah to eat figs, but they are obviously allowed.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 8:58 pm
I love fresh figs. Bought a basket and I'm looking forward to having them at the meal.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:32 pm
I bought figs and love them.
How does one check them?

Rappel

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:41 pm
Check them.

Then blend them up and freeze them as fig sorbet pops or fruit leather. Kids love them, and because you ground them up after checking you don't have to worry about any, erm, foreign bodies

essie14

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:49 am
We love fresh figs! We eat them all the time.
Just plain.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:56 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
I bought figs and love them.
How does one check them?

I asked our Rav who is an expert in infestation and checking if one can check fresh figs and he said its possible but he doesn't know how..

Don't want you to lose your appetite but read this..
https://www.smithsonianmag.com.....2233/
Then one friend's response curbed my appetite considerably.

"I don't eat figs. I know too much about what's inside," she said. "That's all I'm going to say."

Which, of course, sent me into a tizzy of Googling and guessing. I remembered a rumor I heard as a kid about there being ground-up bugs in Fig Newton filling—was that it? Yep, I was on the right track. My friend and many others believe there are insects inside figs.

And they're right, as it turns out. Fig trees only bear fruit thanks to something called a fig wasp. The wasps are born inside the figs, and when the females hatch, they crawl out to find a new fig in which they can lay their own eggs. During this journey, they pick up pollen from the fig's male flowers and carry this into their new fig-nest, pollinating the seeds inside.

But it's a one-way trip; the females die after laying their eggs. And the males who hatch inside the fig are stuck there too—after mating with the young females and chivalrously chewing exit holes for them, they're too tuckered out too leave (and they don't have wings, anyway).

So yes, there are definitely dead bugs in figs. But the fig essentially digests the dead wasps as it ripens—ashes to ashes, dust to dust, fig to fig, you get the idea—so don't worry, that crunchy texture in the center of a fig really IS just its seeds.

Besides, there are bugs in much of our food, especially anything dyed red. Might as well get used to it.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:16 am
Love fresh figs! Wash, slice open, check thoroughly.
I only buy them for Rosh Hashana, once a year.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 4:01 am
amother Papaya wrote:

And they're right, as it turns out. Fig trees only bear fruit thanks to something called a fig wasp. The wasps are born inside the figs, and when the females hatch, they crawl out to find a new fig in which they can lay their own eggs. During this journey, they pick up pollen from the fig's male flowers and carry this into their new fig-nest, pollinating the seeds inside.[/I]

This is true of Smyrna figs, not common figs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics