Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yahrtzeit candle on Rosh Hashana? Please help ASAP

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:08 am
I'm in Israel I hope someone answers this asap before Yom Tov!
My Mom passed away 6 weeks ago.
Should I light Rosh Hashana candles the normal way, or also light a Yahrzeit candle with them?

thank you

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:11 am
I'm sorry for your loss. Yes you would light regular Yom Tov candles plus you light the yartzeit one as well. Gut Gebentcht Yur.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:14 am
As far as I remember, you do the yahretziet candle on days there's yizkor, which doesn't include RH

Sorry for your loss

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:16 am
Ther is no issue of lighting a yahrzeit candle on Rosh HaShana. We light it on the days,we say Yizkor. The next time will be Yom Kippur.

You will need a candle in order to have a flame to light candles second night.

Many people hold that the yahrzeit light should not be used to supply a flame for lighting candles (or for havdallah motzei Yom Kippur) and in that situation you light two separate candles, ideally in different locations in the house.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:18 am
[quote="amother Lightgray"]As far as I remember, you do the yahretziet candle on days there's yizkor, which doesn't include RH

Actually the first year you light the yartzeit candle all year round. My mom passed away right after chanukah this past year. I have a 9 day candle constantly lit and when it runs out I light another one.

May her neshama have an aliyah

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:24 am
[quote="amother Cinnamon"]
amother Lightgray wrote:
As far as I remember, you do the yahretziet candle on days there's yizkor, which doesn't include RH

Actually the first year you light the yartzeit candle all year round. My mom passed away right after chanukah this past year. I have a 9 day candle constantly lit and when it runs out I light another one.

Yues. When my fil passed away- we did the same.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:25 am
amother Lightgray wrote:

Some people follow that minhag. If you don't follow it, you don't light a yahrzeit candle specifically for Rosh HaShana.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:56 am
amother Lightgray wrote:

I was not told to do this when my father passed away….

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 6:07 am
Consult your rav. I was told to light it when I say Yizkor. And that because I was told not to say yizkor for the first year, I also didn't light a candle. But every person needs to ask their own rav. Your feelings are important here, so relate them to the rav- when I told my rav I really wanted the candle and why, that ended up altering the psak.

You will also eventually get used to remembering when we have yizkor and light and when we don't. It takes time. If a chag comes along and you forgot and don't have and need to borrow last minute from a neighbor, it doesn't say anything about you- you're in good company.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 6:38 am
Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies

Ketiva vChatima Tova Heart

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 7:21 am
OP, I was thinking about this, and if you are still in Israel you should definitely check what to do on Sukkot. In Israel we say Yizkor and light a yahrzeit light on Shmini Atzeret. If you go to a second day minyan, they will probably say yahrzeit again on Simchat Torah. I don't know how this situation works with second day Yom Tov, and you might be recommended to light a 48 hour candle. Speak with your Rav well enough in advance to clarify the details, if you will still be here.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 11:58 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Ther is no issue of lighting a yahrzeit candle on Rosh HaShana. We light it on the days,we say Yizkor. The next time will be Yom Kippur.

You will need a candle in order to have a flame to light candles second night.

Many people hold that the yahrzeit light should not be used to supply a flame for lighting candles (or for havdallah motzei Yom Kippur) and in that situation you light two separate candles, ideally in different locations in the house.
If you dont light a candle that will last until you have to light again the second night, how will you be able to light the second night candles?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
If you dont light a candle that will last until you have to light again the second night, how will you be able to light the second night candles?

Did you read my second paragraph? She needs to have a flame to light candles, but does not need to light a separate yahrzeit light.

Some people leave the gas on and take a flame from that for candles on second night.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:06 am
Elfrida wrote:
Did you read my second paragraph? She needs to have a flame to light candles, but does not need to light a separate yahrzeit light.

Some people leave the gas on and take a flame from that for candles on second night.
I meant if you dont light a yartzheit candle, how will you light the second night?
I thankfully dont have to light a yartzheit candle, but thats what we have always done so that we can light again the sescond night. We do not leave our stove on.
I thought you were saying that some people b'shita, dont light yartzheit candles if they still have their loved ones alive. So if you dont have a gas stove, how would one light the second night?

wtvr

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:38 am
Elfrida wrote:
OP, I was thinking about this, and if you are still in Israel you should definitely check what to do on Sukkot. In Israel we say Yizkor and light a yahrzeit light on Shmini Atzeret. If you go to a second day minyan, they will probably say yahrzeit again on Simchat Torah. I don't know how this situation works with second day Yom Tov, and you might be recommended to light a 48 hour candle. Speak with your Rav well enough in advance to clarify the details, if you will still be here.

In Chul yizkor is also on Shemini Atzeres.

dena613

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:29 am
Op, please ask a rav all your aveilus questions because there are differences of opinion.

Standard Ashkenazi practice:
Yahrtzeit candles are lit when yizkor is recited-
Yom kippur, shmini atzeres, last day of pesach, last day of shavuos (in EY- only day of Shavuos

(Some chabad say on RH too)

Many are noheg not to say yizkor during first year of aveilus, so speak to your rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur