Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat low and slow?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:40 am
I know the recommendation for roasts in the past has been to cook them low and slow. I forgot the detail - how low and how slow? I have a 1st cut brisket that's about 3.5 pounds. For next yom tov I also have a silver tip roast about the same weight (I chose the brisket this time because I want to use a 9x13 pan and the brisket is a flatter shape, the silver tip is very round and would not fit in a 9x13) I recall instructions to leave it in the oven overnight but I can't find the thread with those instructions.

Bins

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:50 am
Covered tightly at anywhere btwn 250-300 and will be great

mazelandbracha

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:52 am
I did this tonight..
Pour half wine and half water over a roast (I did a cup each)
Sprinkle with onion, garlic, and paprika.
Cover tightly and cook at 200 overnight.
I used a large deckel roast that needed a larger roasting pan, maybe 11x17? The roast is about 6 lbs, but fairly thin, and I’ve used this recipe on smaller pieces, too.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:54 am
I do meats on 225 for 8 hours.

MySpace

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:02 am
What about a pastrami roast?
I have a 4.5 lb pastrami roast. I remember something about keeping it in the bag...

ladYdI

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:14 am
MySpace wrote:
What about a pastrami roast?
I have a 4.5 lb pastrami roast. I remember something about keeping it in the bag...

I keep naval pastrami in the bag and put it in a covered 9x13 with water. Does it say anything on the package? Not all bags are made to be cooked in.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:29 am
Low and slow is great for the brisket.
The silver tip should be made to medium though.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:29 am
ra_mom wrote:
Low and slow is great for the brisket.
The silver tip should be made to medium though.

Can you please exlain what you mean about the silver tip?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:59 am
seeker wrote:
Can you please exlain what you mean about the silver tip?

The silver tip should not be cooked until well done. It should be prepared to medium. It gets too dry if well done, even with lots of sauce. It's lean and needs to stay pink inside.

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:14 am
mazelandbracha wrote:
I did this tonight..
Pour half wine and half water over a roast (I did a cup each)
Sprinkle with onion, garlic, and paprika.
Cover tightly and cook at 200 overnight.
I used a large deckel roast that needed a larger roasting pan, maybe 11x17? The roast is about 6 lbs, but fairly thin, and I’ve used this recipe on smaller pieces, too.

Thank you this is exactly the recipe that I needed. I need to make something that my dad can have because I can't have lots of sugar and my sauces are all full of sugar. I think a cup of wine will be fine for all of that meat. Going to go get it in the oven soon

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
The silver tip should not be cooked until well done. It should be prepared to medium. It gets too dry if well done, even with lots of sauce. It's lean and needs to stay pink inside.

How am I supposed to know when it's medium? I'm terrible at this. I also don't have a meat thermometer. But if I did I would probably forget when to use it and overcook it anyway.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:32 pm
Progress report: I put the brisket into oven last night at 200. Had DH turn it off this morning. When I came to check it out it was not soft at all. I think maybe the oven wasn't as hot as it thought it was? The meat was hot but not cooked. So first of all I'm praying it isn't spoiled or anything from being warm so long without being warm enough to cook. Secondly I turned the heat up to 275, this was around 11am. Now I really need to use the oven to roast veggies and such. Is it going to ruin the "low and slow" effect if I turn the oven up to 400 with the meat still in it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:50 pm
seeker wrote:
Progress report: I put the brisket into oven last night at 200. Had DH turn it off this morning. When I came to check it out it was not soft at all. I think maybe the oven wasn't as hot as it thought it was? The meat was hot but not cooked. So first of all I'm praying it isn't spoiled or anything from being warm so long without being warm enough to cook. Secondly I turned the heat up to 275, this was around 11am. Now I really need to use the oven to roast veggies and such. Is it going to ruin the "low and slow" effect if I turn the oven up to 400 with the meat still in it?

Just turn the oven up to 400 and keep the meat tightly covered. Check it after an hour. Check again after another hour. You should be able to pierce it with a fork easily.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:52 pm
seeker wrote:
How am I supposed to know when it's medium? I'm terrible at this. I also don't have a meat thermometer. But if I did I would probably forget when to use it and overcook it anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image
You're able to close the oven door on the metal wire, and the electric part stays nearby on the counter.

Another mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 3:31 pm
I don't bake my roasts as they also take too long. I'll be afraid of drying it out. I just cook really good pot roasts, like my mother z"l did (and probably her mother .... etc.) Just curious- why do people prefer it in the oven? My meat is soft- not overly soft, and gets done in time without so much worry. (Shoulder, #5, #6, goulash etc)

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:35 am
For me it's because it needs less attention (oven stays at the temperature you set it, stove needs to be monitored), I have limited stovetop space (oven is not unlimited either but the total amount of food needs to be distributed between both), and if I need to leave it for a long time I'm more comfortable with oven than open flame.

It doesn't dry out if you close it tightly and I also pour the sauce over it.

However I can't seem to find the right amount of time, or maybe timing isn't the issue, but I find that it goes straight from not feeling soft yet to falling apart. So I never get slices. My family seems ok with the "pulled beef" look but I would love for once to slice my meat!

etky

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:04 am
seeker wrote:
For me it's because it needs less attention (oven stays at the temperature you set it, stove needs to be monitored), I have limited stovetop space (oven is not unlimited either but the total amount of food needs to be distributed between both), and if I need to leave it for a long time I'm more comfortable with oven than open flame.

It doesn't dry out if you close it tightly and I also pour the sauce over it.

However I can't seem to find the right amount of time, or maybe timing isn't the issue, but I find that it goes straight from not feeling soft yet to falling apart. So I never get slices. My family seems ok with the "pulled beef" look but I would love for once to slice my meat!

You can try roasting it for less time instead of waiting until it is so tender that it falls apart.
Then put the roast in the fridge and slice it the next day when it is cold.
Bake the slices in the sauce, tightly covered, until they are tender enough for your taste.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:09 am
I think 200 is just a tad too low heat to bake a roast. I did a deckel roast at 215 overnight, and it was soft and buttery and delicious (literally just sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and poured a little oil over it).

etky

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:20 am
Another mom wrote:
I don't bake my roasts as they also take too long. I'll be afraid of drying it out. I just cook really good pot roasts, like my mother z"l did (and probably her mother .... etc.) Just curious- why do people prefer it in the oven? My meat is soft- not overly soft, and gets done in time without so much worry. (Shoulder, #5, #6, goulash etc)

I agree that the moist heat of a stove-top braise is a surer method of achieving a tender and not dried out roast. It's how my grandmother used to prepare her meat too.
However, like Seeker, I just find the oven more convenient.
BTW a slow cooker is also a good 'set and forget' alternative that also doesn't take up a burner.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:55 pm
My slow and low roasts cook at 325 for 45 min per lb
Refrigerate over night, slice, reheat in liquid

A great low carb recipe is to season the roast and shmear the tiniest bit of mustard and place the roast in a zip lock bag

Place a few defrosted herb cubes in a small container, chopped garlic, salt and oil to just cover. This I call my easy peasy pesto and I use it on salmon as well as roasts

Pour the easy peasy pesto into the bag and let the roast marinate. It’s ok if you don’t have time to do that. Sometimes I add a little splash of balsamic vinegar

Bake 325 for 45 min per/lb
Refrigerate overnight SUPER IMPORTANT
Slice and store in the liquid

At this point you could freeze

Reheat at 250-300. If it needed extra cooking time leave it in a little longer

The easy peasy pesto is also delicious on pasta or low carb zucchini noodles and Parmesan cheese
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics