Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Help me not be last minute

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:51 pm
My Rosh Hashana preps ended up being last minute and I'm hoping to do better for Sukkos.
Here's what needs to be done:
-Suit shopping for my older boys
-Buy an outfit for myself (in person)
-Shorten my younger kids' pants (already bought)
-Cooking
-Laundry
-and of course we still need supper every day!
My schedule:
-Work from home 10-4
-Finish bedtime for older kids around 9:30
-I'm pregnant and can't function very much after around 10, maybe 10:30. I can do easy jobs then like folding laundry.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:34 pm
I think a list is the first order of business. When I find a task overwhelming, it helps to break it down in steps and assign a task or two to every day. Here are some tips that help me:

1) Cooking: Make menus and shopping lists. Try to focus on foods that can be made in advance in batches and frozen like soups, meatballs, stuffed cabbage or peppers. Also, buy and freeze your raw protein foods in advance (like meat, chicken, turkey, fish) and defrost Thurs to cook Motzei Shabbos or Sunday morning. Vegetables and fruit can be done as a last step and you can make pans of rice and potatoes in the oven while vegetables are roasting. I often roast vegetables and make the dressing or add the flavorings before serving. You can also make things like pans of franks and beans, which is basically opening cans and packages and adding mustard and maple syrup or brown sugar to your taste. Sides can also be done in batches. For example, I made a large pan of plain brown rice baked in the oven last night and added craisins and pecans at the end with a dressing. Just added rice and water in a foil 9x13 pan tightly covered and it took an hour and 15 to cook. I also baked apples and roasted pears at the same time the rice was cooking. I also roast small potatoes in the oven while the proteins cook. You still need to get through daily suppers and Shabbos. Try to use your crockpot to cook dinner while you are working and make simple foods like pasta, sandwiches, and possibly a pizza night. Bake brownies from a mix or buy dough for cookies. You can always dress that up with pareve whipped cream or ice cream and some berries. You can also make a tray of chocolate bark by melting 6-8 pareve chocolate bars broken in pieces (not chips) in your microwave in 30 second intervals. Pour onto parchment paper in a foil pan or cookie sheet and spread with a knife into a smooth rectangle. While chocolate is soft, sprinkle with cut up dried fruit and nuts, cookie pieces, white chocolate chips, pretzels. Cover with parchment and cool in fridge overnight. Break in small shards before serving.

2) Laundry: Stay on top of it and do at least one or two loads every day. I find it easier than facing a big pile.
30 Hemming: If it's not too pricey, send the pants to a tailor. Otherwise, measure and pin them and sew them in the evening after kids are in bed. It's probably worth outsourcing them.

3) Block out clothing shopping time for you and can DH take the boys for suits?

4) Order crafts and make a sukkah decoration night if you have little ones. Hopefully, they will create while you put your feet up.
Good luck and B'shaah Tovah!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:43 pm
Thanks so much!
Given the crazy Lakewood traffic, I find it easier to sew the pants myself than to drive twice to a tailor!
And shopping with my boys is my quality time with them! DH does groceries, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics