Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Maternity question

BrisketBoss

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:49 pm
What are all the things that make a shirt, skirt, or dress maternity? In some cases, I believe, it works to simply buy a normal garment in a larger size. What are all the factors that go into this? It's just something I've been musing about. Thank you.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:50 pm
A pregnant person is not just larger in size, but in a different shape!

amother
Camellia

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:51 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
What are all the things that make a shirt, skirt, or dress maternity? In some cases, I believe, it works to simply buy a normal garment in a larger size. What are all the factors that go into this? It's just something I've been musing about. Thank you.
I don’t need larger in every area. Then I feel like I’m swimming in it. I want similar maybe slightly more generous sizing to my usual clothing which a bit more room in hips and much more room at tummy area. For skirts an extra size doesn’t help. I need a panel to go over tummy comfortably and then skirt can be same or a tad looser when it hits my thighs so it doesn’t tent, it flows nicely across my belly down to my lap. Hope that was clear, hard to describe.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 8:53 pm
The shoulders stay standard size which is helpful when mostly just the belly is expanding.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 9:00 pm
I carry big. When someone suggested I just buy a bigger size, I was like, huh? I have narrow shoulders but my belly and behind expand. When I shop in a maternity store, I ask for styles to accommodate twin pregnancies even though I've only had singletons. If someone carries small, she can probably get away with certain styles in a bigger size.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 9:10 pm
I'm plus size and what I gain in pregnancy is a gain all over... It's like my weight hides the bump. so I just up a size or two. Never wore "maternity" in my 2 pregnancies so far Wink

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 9:15 pm
There are lots of boxy or flowing sizes that can accommodate a growing belly in your normal size. But going up sizes in regular clothing will just look shlumpy.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Jun 18 2022, 9:15 pm
I think it depends on how you carry and what size you are.

When I was super skinny I couldn't just get a bigger size. I stayed skinny and had a full pregnant stomach. Looked like I was hiding a ball under my shirt.
Now I've put on a lot of weight, I think I'd be able to get away at the beginning with some bigger clothing.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:16 pm
But what if you have a maxi skirt with an elastic waist and it's too big for you. Is there a reason it wouldn't work for maternity? You would have to put it higher but that's ok because it's long, and it should still be comfortable.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:22 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
But what if you have a maxi skirt with an elastic waist and it's too big for you. Is there a reason it wouldn't work for maternity? You would have to put it higher but that's ok because it's long, and it should still be comfortable.

It probably will work but might end up being an awkward length if your ok with that.

YounginBP

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:23 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

If it looks good and you like it, wear it.
I find skirts without a panel stand away under the stomach giving extra dimension.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:40 pm
I had some long stretchy black skirts that were non maternity but worked up until practically my 9th month. I think the key was that they had give in the waist, but also stretched in the belly area. I wore some men's shirts with the sleeves rolled, but by the end they were too tight to button and I wore them over t-shirts. Most of my clothes were maternity wear with stretchy fabrics and were cut specifically to accommodate my new shape. This is one situation where trying things on is important.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics