Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Fasting Yom Kippur if feel very unwell fasting
1  2  3  4  Next

abc 123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:25 pm
I'm going to the doctor to find out why I feel dizzy, headache, can't stand up, weak etc when fasting even when I'm not pregnant or nursing. When I was pregnant one year I got heter to drink sweet drink shiurim. But I usually I end up breaking the fast on Yom Kippur because I feel so unwell from fasting
it's my personal struggle every year even though I generally consider my self frum. I keep Shabbos, kosher, wear shaitel, tznius clothes etc. This year I'm not pregnant, and I'm nursing my 2 year old (but I won't nurse her on Yom Kippur) I plan to spend the day in bed. I don't drink coffee so it's not caffeine related. What should I ask doctor to check as what could be the diagnosis of why I don't fast well? I want ask a rav for a heter to drink shiurim so I can at least not be forced to do aveira on Yom Kippur. I prefer if I could find a way to get a heter. What medical diagnosis can I get?

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:32 pm
It's possible you are chronically dehydrated. Do you load up with fluids especially Powerade or natural versions of it for a few days before a fast?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:35 pm
My blood sugar gets unnaturally low when I don’t eat. My main symptoms was how sick I got from fasting.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 6:37 pm
Hypoglycemia. Process sugar very quickly. It can help if a few days before fasting you eat more protein combined with complex carbs.

abc 123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:17 pm
Thanks I m OP I usually eat and drink often when not fasting. Otherwise I get dizzy, tired . Even drinking tons in the days before the fast doesn't always help. I get headaches when I don't drink enough even if it not a fast day. Once when I fasted for surgery my blood pressure got too low . Another time I fasted for surgery and before the surgery they had to give me an injection of fluid to rehydrate me. They only knew those times cause I was anyway in the hospital.

abc 123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:28 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
It's possible you are chronically dehydrated. Do you load up with fluids especially Powerade or natural versions of it for a few days before a fast?

Yes I always drink a ton in the days leading up to YK and TB

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:34 pm
Just to clarify, you usually just start eating or drinking on Yom Kippur with no shiurim and no discussion with a rav or a doctor ?

abc 123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:37 pm
amother Daphne wrote:

abc 123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:39 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Just to clarify, you usually just start eating or drinking on Yom Kippur with no shiurim and no discussion with a rav or a doctor ?

.yes I'm really bad so I drink or eat just enough to feel a bit better . Not like a regular day. I know I'm doing the wrong thing nearly every year but I need HELP that's why I'm asking how to get a heter in advance of YK.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:41 pm
Put yourself on iv fluids maybe.

mfb

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:43 pm
Grape sugar before the fast? Have you tried that?

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:46 pm
abc 123 wrote:
.yes I'm really bad so I drink or eat just enough to feel a bit better . Not like a regular day. I know I'm doing the wrong thing nearly every year but I need HELP that's why I'm asking how to get a heter in advance of YK.
You can get a heter for shiurim but not for eating and drinking wily nilly

I have vomited through the fast and still couldn’t break it

It’s Yom Kippur. You’d need to have your life in danger in order to get such a heter RL.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 7:58 pm
abc 123 wrote:
Thanks I m OP I usually eat and drink often when not fasting. Otherwise I get dizzy, tired . Even drinking tons in the days before the fast doesn't always help. I get headaches when I don't drink enough even if it not a fast day. Once when I fasted for surgery my blood pressure got too low . Another time I fasted for surgery and before the surgery they had to give me an injection of fluid to rehydrate me. They only knew those times cause I was anyway in the hospital.

The two to three days before the fast I drink lots of fluid mixed with a special hydration powder. It made a big difference to me since I take this. I also drink it after the fast ends and the next day too.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:02 pm
Many people don't feel well when they fast. It's not considered abnormal. So it doesn't mean there is a diagnosis. Not what you want to hear, I know.

Drinking a lot before definitely can help.

dena613

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:07 pm
Here is how you get a heter to eat or drink shiurim:

(I'm not being sarcastic. You keep asking how.)

You can your rov and describe your fasting symptoms and ask him what you should do.
And you accept his psak.

Please please don't break Yom Kippur. It is extremely chamur!!!

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:10 pm
dena613 wrote:
Here is how you get a heter to eat or drink shiurim:

(I'm not being sarcastic. You keep asking how.)

You can your rov and describe your fasting symptoms and ask him what you should do.
And you accept his psak.

Please please don't break Yom Kippur. It is extremely chamur!!!

A competent Dayan or Rav will want to know what your doctor has to say about you fasting.

dena613

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:12 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
A competent Dayan or Rav will want to know what your doctor has to say about you fasting.

Thank you, you're right!
So op, please reach out to your doctor and ask what they think the issue is, and how it can be helped, and then call the rov

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:16 pm
dena613 wrote:
Thank you, you're right!
So op, please reach out to your doctor and ask what they think the issue is, and how it can be helped, and then call the rov

If your doctor, who knows you, says it is not safe for you to fast, then that's what you tell the Dayan. If the doctor tells you it is fine for you to fast then with that information the Dayan / Rav will advise accordingly.

Also, using special hydration powders for a period of at least two days before, could be very helpful. It would keep you hydrated through the majority of the fast. This has the potential to possibly eliminate the horrible symptoms you experience.

abc 123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:12 pm
I also have gilbert syndrome. Would that explain why I have difficulty fasting? Fasting in those with Gilbert syndrome raises billirubin levels and can cause jaundice, fatigue, dizzy etc, also when I drink a ton in the days before the fast it just makes me need to go bathroom all day. I don't think the body holds onto any of the fluids

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:22 pm
abc 123 wrote:
I also have gilbert syndrome. Would that explain why I have difficulty fasting? Fasting in those with Gilbert syndrome raises billirubin levels and can cause jaundice, fatigue, dizzy etc, also when I drink a ton in the days before the fast it just makes me need to go bathroom all day. I don't think the body holds onto any of the fluids

It's the hydration that the body stores (when adding in the hydration powder) and that's what is most important, not the entire fluids per se.

Your doctor should be able to advise you if it's medically safe for you to fast considering that you have Gilbert syndrome. It's vital that you contact him/her about this.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur