Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Tzom gedalia

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:28 pm
I’m nursing a baby- BUT in the process of weaning. We still do about two nurses a day, one early in the morning and one to put her down at night. Sometimes an after work one if I am particularly uncomfortable. Do I have to fast? She is ten months old so conceivably could go without nursing and just take a bottle but… I haven’t fasted well ever since pregnancy. I get nauseous nearly every morning on an empty stomach and will be watching toddlers all day.

Btw : I asked DH a hundred times to ask our rav and he didn’t and now it’s too late so…

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m nursing a baby- BUT in the process of weaning. We still do about two nurses a day, one early in the morning and one to put her down at night. Sometimes an after work one if I am particularly uncomfortable. Do I have to fast? She is ten months old so conceivably could go without nursing and just take a bottle but… I haven’t fasted well ever since pregnancy. I get nauseous nearly every morning on an empty stomach and will be watching toddlers all day.

Btw : I asked DH a hundred times to ask our rav and he didn’t and now it’s too late so…

It’s not too late, just call a rav and ask.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 8:38 pm
many people dont fast tzom gedalia. I never do and im not pregnant or nursing

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:11 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
many people dont fast tzom gedalia. I never do and im not pregnant or nursing

That’s true, but if that’s not OPs minhag, I can see why she wouldn’t want to just not fast without speaking to a rabbi first.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:15 pm
I don't fast when I'm pregnant or nursing but I do otherwise. In this case, I would think it's more important to go into Yom Kippur as prepared to fast as possible and if fasting tomorrow would cause you difficulties leading up to YK then I would skip it. But please do check with a rav and at the same time make sure to find out the best way to handle YK given your specific situation.

jj1236

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:16 pm
My husband just asked almost the identical question to his Rabbi who said I don't have to fast. (nursing just morning and night to 18 month old)

accountantmommy

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:19 pm
Not sure if this would be your answer for sure ask your LOR, but I was told no fasting throughout pregnancy up until 24 months post birth if nursing for minor fasts (not tisha bav and yk). I think with my last baby, I stopped nursing 18 mo and my first fast was 22 months post birth for 17 tammuz and I did do it. Got pregnant again a month after that so no more for a while.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 10:19 pm
My MIL told me my minhag is pregnant and nursing women are patur from minor fasts. So I'm nursing a toddler and I fast well but I'm not going to fast tomorrow. Of things that are worth doing when you don't have to, I don't think fasting is one of them.

So if you don't have/know your minhag then ask.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:43 am
Can you reach your Rav first thing in the morning?

If he responds to emails, just email him and hopefully he'll see it early enough to make a difference. Worst case your husband will have to ask his Rav in the morning and let you know the answer ASAP.

Other option - do you have other family members who follow the same minhagim/use the same Rav who may have asked this shaila in recent years?

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:37 am
If for some reason you can’t get ahold of a Rav…
Start fasting and see what happens. It’s a minor fast day so (as far as I know) if you feel sick you break it. See what happens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note