Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Flip phone

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:52 pm
So my rav is very against technology use. I know most women in the community have smartphones. (OOT litvish ) but maybe we are starting to trend the other way? Anyway my phone is breaking after many years of use and I’m thinking maybe I should switch to a flip phone? I do need WhatsApp for communication so I know when the womens shiurim are happening and can find babysitters. But I don’t need all the other stuff like instagram or Facebook. I do communicate with my doctor via app but I could do that on a laptop if I needed to. I guess I’m just asking did anyone here go from an iPhone to a flip phone and how do you feel about it? Does it make things much more difficult? I’m mostly worried about health things.

kiti

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:57 pm
I use a flip phone, and I have Whatsapp on my work computer (through a software called BlueStacks, which emulates an Android phone but it's on your computer)

It's a bit more tricky, but life is very possible without an iPhone. I like to think of it as using technology like if I were in the early 2000's. I don't plan on getting an iPhone anytime soon

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:32 pm
Is blue stacks connected to ur cell number or something diff?

kiti

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:46 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Is blue stacks connected to ur cell number or something diff?

It's connected only through my computer, is accessed through it, and runs completely separate from my phone

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:49 pm
I switched over from smart phone to dumb phone.
It was really really really hard. Like learning a new language. But... I learned the language. It took time and some more time and now it's great. I honestly wouldn't switch back if you pay me.
The hardest to learn was texting. Not all flip phones were created equal. I have the kyocera now and find it easier to text with then the other flip phone I had. So ask when you buy which one has the best word bank and easiest to text with.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:52 pm
Would you consider a kosher smartphone?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:52 pm
I'll be honest - after they stopped supporting the flip phone with the pull-out keyboard, I got a smartphone. I took it to TAG and I have barely anything on it - no browser, no internet, and I happen to not be on whatsapp either. I kept google maps and that's about it - I just find it easier to text that way. I'm pretty comfortable with my choice, which is basically a dumb smartphone.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:00 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I'll be honest - after they stopped supporting the flip phone with the pull-out keyboard, I got a smartphone. I took it to TAG and I have barely anything on it - no browser, no internet, and I happen to not be on whatsapp either. I kept google maps and that's about it - I just find it easier to text that way. I'm pretty comfortable with my choice, which is basically a dumb smartphone.

Can you go on imamother from your phone? Are people able to with a filtered phone? Can you go to your local grocery’s website to place an order? How about amazon or Walmart? Can you check your bank account info or make a credit card payment?
I’m asking all this because I’m really interested in switching to a kosher smartphone from a regular iPhone but don’t want to feel like I’m very limited.
Op if you have constant access to a computer you probably wouldn’t need all this.

ChumHen

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:32 pm
to the poster who wanted to know if you can have some options on your tagged phone, so as not to be that limited, I did similar. It's kidai to visit tag and discuss their MB smart filter options. I did similar to the poster of dumbed down their smartphone to mamash the basics.
One has to determine what one really needs, versus what's distracting.
Some have 2 devices, for this reason. MB smart does offer a white list option also with zero browser.

Hatzlacha!!

mizle10

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:54 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Can you go on imamother from your phone? Are people able to with a filtered phone? Can you go to your local grocery’s website to place an order? How about amazon or Walmart? Can you check your bank account info or make a credit card payment?
I’m asking all this because I’m really interested in switching to a kosher smartphone from a regular iPhone but don’t want to feel like I’m very limited.
Op if you have constant access to a computer you probably wouldn’t need all this.

I also have a "dumb" smartphone. The only one of these I access to is banking.
I have no browser, meaning no internet app. I can't google anything. No imamother, groceries, amazon, walmart.
The only apps I have are whatsapp, banking, weather, uber, and waze.

But that was my choice, it's not a filtered smartphone, there's nothing on it.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:26 am
I got a Sunbeam Orchid flip phone to replace my obsolete slider keyboard phone, and I've been very happy with it. It has a touch screen keyboard, voice texting, no internet, no apps, except it does have a built in gps!! (and weather!) 2 of my older kids got one too and they both really like it as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics