Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Need to lose about 15lbs, beginner at weight loss

kiti

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:14 pm
Please give me your best advice. I used to be pretty thin, but over the past couple of years gained weight (it's pretty noticeable and I'm embarrassed).

I'm a beginner at losing weight, because I never really had to do it before.

What are your best tips to losing around 15lbs?

BTW: I rarely go out of the house. I also LOVE chocolate.

Thanks! Very Happy

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:17 pm
Hi! That could have been me writing this post a year ago. I made an appointment with a nutritionist and she helped me make a food plan . I really stuck to it, even though it was not easy. I lost 10 lbs and it was the best feeling. I still try to keep a healthy diet and I'm hoping I wont gain all my weight back.
Good luck!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:23 pm
My best advice is to make a list of a bunch of different diets that sound not - crazy to you, and try each of them for a week (take a day or a few days off in between one diet and the next to avoid burnout) so that you learn what works best for you.

Personally I have learned that Intermittent Fasting works best for me. Calorie counting works but is harder than IF for me so I prefer IF.

The two things that I have found DON'T work at all for me are

1. Exercise with no diet
2. Cutting out food groups (I once went a month eating only very healthy vegan food. No processed foods, no white carbs, no sugar except from fruit. I was very disappointed at the end of the month that I actually gained 1.5 lbs!)

Experiment, experiment, experiment, and keep a Diet Journal where you can record starting weight, ending weight, and how easy the diet felt for you.

Just don't do anything crazy (I don't consider OMAD crazy, but fasting for an entire day if it's not YK or 9 BAv is crazy, and I'd call eating fewer than 1,200 calories/day crazy).

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:26 pm
Cut out cane sugar. That stuff is poison.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:29 pm
Basic advice:
1.Stop eating by 7 pm.
Even better, fast for 16 hours out of 24.
My eating window is 10:30-6:30.

2. Go to sleep by 11, or 11:30.

3. Drink more water

4. Walk around the block a few times every day. Best if you can do exercise in the morning, before eating your first meal.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:29 am
Go to a nutritionist.
They will be able to help you understand what's going on with your body. They can also make the calculations for you about how much, when, what, and how you need to eat and exercise.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:32 am
Snacking is a huge calorie source. Only eat meals. If you need a snack, fruits and vegetables only. DON'T eat after dinner.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:40 am
Weight loss is not a solution to body insecurity. Bodies change over time.

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:48 am
Op, is the trick to losing 15 pounds really a secret? There have been many "let's lose weight together" threads here. I'm assuming they almost all fail. The reason is the same as why almost all diets fail.

Dieting is hard. It involves lifestyle changes that are unpleasant. Cut out carbs and sugar. Cut out fried food and have grilled or baked instead. Don't eat after 7:00. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. This is pretty much what a nutritionist will tell you. The hard part is sticking with it. Good luck!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:49 am
Intermittent fasting is not healthy for some body types, so I would not recommend it as a universal weight loss method.

What definitely cannot hurt and probably help you:
- drink at least 10 cups of water each day
- get 10-20 minutes of exercise at least 3 times a week, something simple like brisk walking
- avoid white sugar and white flour
- prepare lots of veggies in the fridge, cut up so that you're more likely to eat that
- go to sleep early, at least an hour before midnight, so you can get refreshing sleep

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:39 pm
Fastest and easiest method that worked for me was walking more. Just take the stairs instead of the elevator more often. And the outdoor air will refresh your day. And the advice others gave of not snacking past suppertime and getting enough sleep are also valid.
I was walking more often a few months ago and noticed my clothes fitting less tightly, with no conscious effort! I'm back on the overweight side since then, but iy"H if I get back into the walking routine, I'm sure those extra pounds will come off eventually.
Another pointer: Do NOT depend on your bathroom scale to tell you your progress. Why not? It's simple: Muscle weighs more than fat. As you exercise and lose fat, you will also gain muscle.
So how to tell progress?
By how your clothes fit!
Hatzlachah (to both of us!)
And a gmar chasimah tovah.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:19 pm
amother Lily wrote:

Dieting is hard.It involves lifestyle changes that are unpleasant

Dieting doesn't have to be hard.
I don't think many people like only potato chips and chocolate for breakfast, lunch, and supper. You can eat beautiful, healthy, easy meals, if you have the right person to help you understand what's right for you. And when you just had an amazing breakfast you have no reason to reach for the cookies. Even the emotional reasons are easier, because you're feeling good about yourself.
You don't need to go crazy to cut out things either. Just eating them less is fine, and finding satisfying substitutes is part of the process.

Coffee3

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:40 pm
For me starting out slowly works. Write down everything you eat and drink water. Also walk outdoors. Those 3 things motivate me. Also try to make small changes. If you always want chocolate with tea at night, try a different drink. If you grab a chocolate because it’s on the counter, move it to a cabinet. If you just had chocolate and want more first drink a glass of water or wait 1/2 hour or schedule your next snack for 3pm and see if that helps. I’ve been working at it myself.

proudMama123

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:07 pm
Eat less than you burn so be active and workout. Eat low calorie healthy options such as whole grains, veggies, and proteins. Cut out added sugar and fat. Stop eating after dinner. Drink at least 8-10 cups of water through oug the day. Don’t nosh! Try no carbs by dinner.
Keep us posted!

flmommy

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:32 pm
I wouldn’t go on a diet. I only started to gain significant weight when I began dieting. Make small healthy sustainable changes that YOU can live with and go from there. If I had to do it again that’s what I would do.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 11:19 pm
Curious if you’ve lost any weight yet?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise