Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What do you use a food processor for?
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:06 am
For chopping vegetables, I'm too lazy to shlep out my whole food processor. For that, I have a Mueller Vegetable Chopper.

They sell them on Amazon and are, IMVHO, the best out there (I used to have the Alligator, the Williams Sonoma one, etc...and this one has outlasted all of those.) The one I have is an older model than the current one, and only comes with two plates for different sized chopping. I've never needed more than that.

I used it to chop onions and vegetables for the soup - it chops so easily, zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, etc....I can put up a vegetable soup in a few minutes. For these I use the larger chop size.

For Israeli salad, I use the smaller chop size - makes perfect fine-diced Israeli salad. I also chop my apples for apple crumble using the fine dice, and it's a game changer - we love apple crisp with tiny diced apples, mixed with cranberry sauce. Yum!

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:11 am
I use it to make:
potato kugel
veggie kishke
tomato dip
eggplant dip
onion garlic dip
sorbet
falafel
pesto

I have barely any cabinet space in my current apartment. Before I moved, I got rid of almost every appliance I owned. The only appliances I have now is my Braun food processor and Kitchenaid. I use both multiple times a week

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:12 am
Chayalle wrote:
For chopping vegetables, I'm too lazy to shlep out my whole food processor. For that, I have a Mueller Vegetable Chopper.

They sell them on Amazon and are, IMVHO, the best out there (I used to have the Alligator, the Williams Sonoma one, etc...and this one has outlasted all of those.) The one I have is an older model than the current one, and only comes with two plates for different sized chopping. I've never needed more than that.

I used it to chop onions and vegetables for the soup - it chops so easily, zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, etc....I can put up a vegetable soup in a few minutes. For these I use the larger chop size.

For Israeli salad, I use the smaller chop size - makes perfect fine-diced Israeli salad. I also chop my apples for apple crumble using the fine dice, and it's a game changer - we love apple crisp with tiny diced apples, mixed with cranberry sauce. Yum!

This would be really helpful. Actually, I see on Amazon a few different ones. Which one of these do you have?

ETA - I got the 10 in 1. Thanks for this tip, this is something I could use! How is it on tomatos?

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:14 am
amother Lotus wrote:
Anyone have a good hummus recipe?

There's a great recipe in Naomi Nachman's cookbook, Perfect Flavors maybe?
I don't have it on me now, but maybe someone on here does.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:25 am
amother Lotus wrote:
Anyone have a good hummus recipe?

I really like this one https://food52.com/recipes/818.....urant

Highstrung

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:26 am
I use it mainly for:

Potatoe kugel every week
Vegetable kishka
Potatoe latkes
Squash kugel
Vegetable kugel
Cucumber salad
At a certain point I used it to make chopped liver but that made my machine fleishig so I make chopped liver now with my immersion blender
Shred veggies for vegetable soup/stock

For potatoe kugel alone, you can’t compare the amount of time it saves you to use a machine over a safety grater.

egam

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:49 am
Shredding cabbage, carrots for salads and borscht
Grating beets
Babaganogh
Grounding nuts
Pie dough
Grating potatoes
Dips
Mincing fish for homemade gefilte fish
Blending carrots and pineapple for my carrot cake.

Mine has its place on the counter and I use it a lot.

scruffy

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:53 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I use it mainly for:
At a certain point I used it to make chopped liver but that made my machine fleishig so I make chopped liver now with my immersion blender

Wait. You can make chopped liver with an immersion blender? I haven't been able to make that because I don't own a food processor...

SwissAlps

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:07 pm
The only thing I use my food processor for is potato kugel. Most dips can be made with an immersion blender, including chummus.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:14 pm
My food processor has an adjustable slicing disk
I slice EVERYTHING in it
But I do a lot of veggies and salads
Makes slicing cabaage a breeze
The other day I sliced tons of onions in seconds Sautéed them and froze baggies
Also anything that needs shredding/grating in the processor
It’s worth taking it out and cleaning it, for me
For dicing I use the alligator chopper

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:32 pm
Any alternative to a food processor or grater for making potato kugel? I don't make it because I don't have patience to hand grate or wash the machine.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:21 pm
watergirl wrote:
I really tried making the potato kugel in my machine a few times! Everyone tells me it's not the same as usual and no one wants it! I use it for latkes but it's a different process than how I do kugel. And to toot my own horn (which I never do), my kugel is known in a few cities and in Israel for being so good, so I'm keeping my safety grater Smile If my own bubbies or mother saw me doing it by hand, they would flip out and yell at me to use a machine. That was their way! I will say that I don't make potato kugel on pesach though, none of us can stand the taste of pesach oil. But the rest of the year, I do 5 lbs most weeks.

Light olive oil on Pesach is a game changer 😁

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:23 pm
kugel, dips, cole slaw (can't buy pre shredded here). It gets used every week. the base is heavy but the rest goes into the dishwasher.

I use it a lot more on pesach. I have a braun for pesach and it is really nice and light.

For kugel I grate the potatoes and then pulverise about a third of the grated potatoes with the onions.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:04 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Any alternative to a food processor or grater for making potato kugel? I don't make it because I don't have patience to hand grate or wash the machine.

I use a regular blender, it seems less of a shlep to me to pull out. Literally never use my food processor.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:50 am
I used to great potatoes by hand when my kids got older especially the boys we made an amazing high kugel in a dutch oven pot on the gas was beautiful like a high cake. Now that we graduated to a food processor would never do by hand again. I use the kugel blade then for a few seconds the S blade. I put in an onion seltzer eggs s& p it's heaven

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 6:31 am
Bumping this thread. ..

I don’t live in USA. Live in Canada & the dollar is almost 1.4 compared to USA.
Still worth the hefty price of the Braun?
Here I can get on Amazon for $349.

Thoughts??

Golde

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 6:59 am
My mother is like you, she sees no use for a food processor. I, OTOH, have one parev, one fleishig, two Pesach ones and I think I need a milchig one as well (my old one broke) 😅
Things I use them for:
Chummus
Chop onion - for everything
Chop garlic
Chop vegetables finely for bases like pasta sauce, other sauces and bases
Potato kugel
Grated carrots
Sliced cucumber
Various dips
Chopped liver
Butterdough

And probably lots more.

I also have a regular blender for liquids and an immersion blender for soup. Yes, I love blended things and would hate to live without my food processors!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics