Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need a raise!
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:36 pm
jewishmommy1 wrote:
The key to making your case for a good raise is to show why you deserve it based on your work. Can you show how you've met requirements and deadlines, how you've exceeded expectations, how you are way more valuable to the business now than you were six years ago? That kind of objective proof is likely to get a much better response than "I really want a raise and I'll leave if you don't give it to me". (Of course, that assumes you are in a normal, functional workplace.)

But as others said above, the biggest salary bumps usually come with changing jobs. If you have unusually good benefits/perks, you'd need to decide how much $ they are worth to you.

Thanks, that was always my plan, to show I am worth it, remind them how my work is good, clean, no errors, I don't mess up, and I bring a friendly rapport (sp?) to the department, help train the new people etc.
I had never planned to go in "guns blazing" or threaten to leave. I just wanted to have another option that if they say no to me, I would be able to say sorry, I got a better offer, I can't stay without the raise. Then it would be up to them.

I have a feeling I'm not going to get the raise, because my immediate boss (supervisor) doesnt have the guts to request anything big from the owner of the company. He's going to tell me what hes told me in the past, that even though I'm a good worker, he can't request for me to get significantly more than the rest of the department. ugh.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:20 pm
To add another perspective: the very fact alone that it's a great environment, two minutes from home, flexible hours, WITH insurance is a HUGE factor. Although it sounds like you can be making a lot more, you need to consider all this, especially if you are in an OOT community!

If you would compare another job with a higher salary but without insurance plus a commute, it will probably be equal at the end of the day.

That said, you can tell your boss outright that you are not here to squeeze out another dollar and another dollar and you want him to feel like you are giving him something in return. Maybe he can give you a project or more responsibility?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I need a raise desperately, but unfortunately my office is not known to give more than 3% per year, which is bubkis.
Any idea how to approach my boss and get a raise that will actually make a difference? I would really like at least 5k but my dream is 10k.
For context, I have been at my job for almost 6 years, and my hourly wage only went up $4.50 (these are the 3% raises added up over 6 years)
I dont have the confidence to threaten to leave unless I get the raise I want because I am totally disposable, I can be replaced but a girl straight out of seminary in a heartbeat, but then again I feel like I deserve it and I've paid my dues to my company. I am in my 30s and it's a horrible feeling to think that at my age I am making so little, in a dead end job. Right now I cant afford to leave the job because I need the health insurance I am given, and there are certain conveniences about my job that I wont find anywhere else, like flex hours, 2 minutes from my house etc, frum, nice bosses etc
But then again, I am a good solid worker and get my job done well, maybe they dont want to worry about replacing me?? IDK!
Advice?!

Are you me?! Same exact situation!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:21 pm
OP- there are recruiters in Lakewood that you may be able to reach out to who can tell you if remote work in the range you are looking for is realistic, so that you don't have to reach out to multiple individual companies. There are many, many billing companies based in Lakewood that are looking to hire, so without knowing for sure, this option doesn't seem far fetched.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
??
Do you mean if I take a job at a non jewish company that pays more, I'll lose out? By not getting paid for jewish holidays etc?

Unfortunately it isnt so simple to leave a situation like yours.
You only get so many days off. You would need to use them for YT.
Having a frum employer means they understand our life, that you cant stay extra late on Fridays or come in "just this once on a Saturday". Usually frum employers pay less because of this convenience.
You also mention you are paid more in your city than others for the same job. Now add in insurance, no commute... each of those things has a dollar amount attached. it would be hard to find a similar situation.
I get that it isnt enough to live off of but you might have reached your peak without retraining.
I havent left my current job because of certain conveniences and perks but it hasnt been easy. I am underpaid compared if I were to go get a job elsewhere but the perks here right now outweigh the money. Because although I need the money, I couldnt work at other places due to most positions in my field wanting weekend shifts.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:33 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Unfortunately it isnt so simple to leave a situation like yours.
You only get so many days off. You would need to use them for YT.
Having a frum employer means they understand our life, that you cant stay extra late on Fridays or come in "just this once on a Saturday". Usually frum employers pay less because of this convenience.
You also mention you are paid more in your city than others for the same job. Now add in insurance, no commute... each of those things has a dollar amount attached. it would be hard to find a similar situation.
I get that it isnt enough to live off of but you might have reached your peak without retraining.
I havent left my current job because of certain conveniences and perks but it hasnt been easy. I am underpaid compared if I were to go get a job elsewhere but the perks here right now outweigh the money. Because although I need the money, I couldnt work at other places due to most positions in my field wanting weekend shifts.

Thanks . I needed this reminder. I can’t put a price on a lot of things about my job, besides all the things I mentioned, we get nice yom tov bonuses, a large x-mas bonus, when I was sick in the hospital they sent shabbos to my family, they were so understanding about my lengthy maternity leave , celebrated my Simchos with me etc.
with succos coming up a big deadline was pushed since almost half of the department is frum and they knew it would stress us out …. And so much more. But then again my sister 10 years younger than me is doing the same thing in Lakewood for 2 years, and making significantly more money than I am, and her company is frum too. I’m so torn !

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:39 pm
[quote="amother OP"]Thanks . I needed this reminder. I can’t put a price on a lot of things about my job, besides all the things I mentioned, we get nice yom tov bonuses, a large x-mas bonus, when I was sick in the hospital they sent shabbos to my family, they were so understanding about my lengthy maternity leave , celebrated my Simchos with me etc.
with succos coming up a big deadline was pushed since almost half of the department is frum and they knew it would stress us out …. And so much more. But then again my sister 10 years younger than me is doing the same thing in Lakewood for 2 years, and making significantly more money than I am, and her company is frum too. I’m so torn

Is the cost if living where you are less than in lakewood?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:49 pm
Not to discourage you but salary in certain places are much lower than in other areas of the country. For example a lawyer in Cleveland gets paid significantly less than one in nyc.

rofa

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:08 pm
Though this might be geared more towards corporate, career-oriented people, there are still some good ideas that might work even for a heimish company.

https://www.iwillteachyoutober.....tion/

Shifting the raise from something that you are asking as compensation for past satisfactory (or even great) work, to something you are offering to your boss/es is particularly persuasive, IMO.

mfb

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks . I needed this reminder. I can’t put a price on a lot of things about my job, besides all the things I mentioned, we get nice yom tov bonuses, a large x-mas bonus, when I was sick in the hospital they sent shabbos to my family, they were so understanding about my lengthy maternity leave , celebrated my Simchos with me etc.
with succos coming up a big deadline was pushed since almost half of the department is frum and they knew it would stress us out …. And so much more. But then again my sister 10 years younger than me is doing the same thing in Lakewood for 2 years, and making significantly more money than I am, and her company is frum too. I’m so torn !

Please add these bonuses in and see if it’s still so much less than your sister

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:22 pm
[quote="amother Coffee"]
amother OP wrote:
with succos coming up a big deadline was pushed since almost half of the department is frum and they knew it would stress us out …. And so much more. But then again my sister 10 years younger than me is doing the same thing in Lakewood for 2 years, and making significantly more money than I am, and her company is frum too. I’m so torn

No- I live in a big city where everything is a fortune unfortunately. Cost of housing, food, tuition, is pretty high, even thirty it’s out of town.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:25 pm
rofa wrote:
Though this might be geared more towards corporate, career-oriented people, there are still some good ideas that might work even for a heimish company.

https://www.iwillteachyoutober.....tion/

Shifting the raise from something that you are asking as compensation for past satisfactory (or even great) work, to something you are offering to your boss/es is particularly persuasive, IMO.

Thank u! This is interesting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:28 pm
mfb wrote:
Please add these bonuses in and see if it’s still so much less than your sister

My hourly rate is $28, my sisters is $34
(My three bonuses total $1500 a year)

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:31 pm
[quote="amother Coffee"]
amother OP wrote:

I'm working in Lakewood and earn less than you. And I thought that I'm getting paid nicely. Maybe your sister just lucked out?

creditcards

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

Your bonus is like $1 extra per hour. So your earning $29 an hour. Are you getting paid for when you are off on Yom Tov? That's a bonus too. Are you getting the same amount of vacation days? They all add up. Who is paying for your insurance? You or your employer? That's worth a lot of money too!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

This is a joke.
You should be earning at least $35 an hour at this point. On top of whatever benefits like insurance and yearly bonuses.

You would get it in a smaller office setting.
There are so many openings now. Go for it.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:21 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
This is a joke.
You should be earning at least $35 an hour at this point. On top of whatever benefits like insurance and yearly bonuses.

You would get it in a smaller office setting.
There are so many openings now. Go for it.

I work for a Lakewood company remotely and I don't think this is a joke at all. Sounds about right to me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics