Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
So full of despair over 8yo's accidents

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:46 am
Since he was toilet trained (probably too early, but the school required it) we've always had issues. At first just #1 accidents but over the past few years it's been #2 also. He often smells, it's hard for me to tell if he's leaking/passing small amounts of stool or not wiping well enough. He's 8! I can't really follow him into the bathroom and check!

We've tried so many constipation protocols- Miralax, enemas, fiber etc. Currently 2 months into one. It doesn't seem to be helping at all. He also still needs a pull up at night.

Feeling very desperate at this point. Has anyone tried anything with their child for this that actually worked??

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:49 am
I can only send you loads of hugs. I have a child like this but she is 6. Any change brings on a slew of accidents. Her older brother would soil himself until he was about 7-8 yrs. He took miralax until he started going to sleep away camp and he was motivated to take care of himself. I’m so so sorry you’re going through this. The endless laundry and feeling of helplessness is hard to get through. Bh my son is a tall starling , handsome and mature high school senior. Hang in there !!

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:56 am
At that age, please consult a GI doctor. There may be physical factors and it's unfair not to get him the help he needs. GI doctors deal with this all the time.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:30 am
My son had this too. He'd be hyperfocused on his lego and not realize he needed to use the bathroom until someone else noticed a smell. BH he outgrew it. Hang in there.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:40 am
Did you have his thyroid checked? Know a kid who dealt with this, turned out he had hypothyroidism, which was causing constipation, which was bad enough that he was blocked and so he was leaking stool :-(

Can you leave wipes in the bathroom so that he cleans himself well, and encourage him to change his underwear more often, even if it means multiple changes a day?

4sure

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 2:37 am
I have a son like that too. I find it being both physical and mental. They have this constipation sensitivity, so they learned to ignore their cues. I wish I have a solution.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:37 am
Have you done MOPS?

4sure

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:47 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Have you done MOPS?

Yes. It helped while I was on it. I felt like I’m being his toilet

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Since he was toilet trained (probably too early, but the school required it) we've always had issues. At first just #1 accidents but over the past few years it's been #2 also. He often smells, it's hard for me to tell if he's leaking/passing small amounts of stool or not wiping well enough. He's 8! I can't really follow him into the bathroom and check!

We've tried so many constipation protocols- Miralax, enemas, fiber etc. Currently 2 months into one. It doesn't seem to be helping at all. He also still needs a pull up at night.

Feeling very desperate at this point. Has anyone tried anything with their child for this that actually worked??

I have a child with encopresis. Have you used exlax?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training