Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Public opinion vs what's right for you

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:23 am
How much do you care ? Homeschooling, conventional school system etc.. just started to look into schools and realized so much has to do with what's considered mainstream 🤔 how did you choose schooling

behappy2

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:26 am
Abilities. Am I able to homeschool and give my kids all they will get in the school system and still say sane? No.

Zahava94

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:33 am
How much do I care about public opinion? Zero.
We do what's best for each of our children. What anyone else thinks is not something that dictates our own lives or decisions.

SG18

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:55 am
Zahava94 wrote:
How much do I care about public opinion? Zero.
We do what's best for each of our children. What anyone else thinks is not something that dictates our own lives or decisions.

This.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:01 am
I would have homeschooled but I didn't feel I have the ability to do it properly. And you have to actively set up a proper social life for them and I knew it would be an uphill mountain. So I chose the school that seemed best. It actually turned out to be a disaster so I switched schools.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 11:21 am
It's not that I care about the publics opinion. I do care a lot about my child's well being. In my community most of the time it's in my child's best interest to keep things mainstream.

For example homeschooling. He might do better academically if he's homeschooled, but he will be a social outcast. So having his best interest in mind, I do what others do so he can be a part of our society and get into good yeshiva and eventually do a decent shidduch.

It's unfortunate, but it's the reality for me.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 11:56 am
I know someone who homeschooled her kids and then ranted and railed against others not understanding why her children were viewed as different and other. I mean come on.

I don't think its prudent to make very very different choices unless there is an extremely strong and compelling reason to do so.

There's such a thing as being "normal." If you live in a community where homeschooling is a minority choice that sizeable numbers of kids are a part of, so then great - go for it. But if you have chosen to live in a place where your kids will be one of a handful out of hundreds or thousands of kids to be homeschooled, then I think its stupid. There's such a thing as successfully being part of a group and retaining your individuality as well.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:09 pm
Its a hard question to answer. Its not so much that I care about public opinion when it comes to the well being of my child. But in a stereotypical world they will be viewed as different. Does the end justify the means? That's the question as I see it

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:11 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Abilities. Am I able to homeschool and give my kids all they will get in the school system and still say sane? No.

I don't think that was the op's point.

The question was whether if homeschooling was in fact the right decision for your family, would you not do it because of the stigma that comes with it?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
How much do you care ? Homeschooling, conventional school system etc.. just started to look into schools and realized so much has to do with what's considered mainstream 🤔 how did you choose schooling

I live in Lakewood. I chose schooling according to the limited amount of choices I had. I decide to go where I was welcome. While I'm mostly happy with my choices there are some issues that bother me.
I console myself by saying that no school will ever be perfect to my liking!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics