Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yom Kippur toys to keep busy new ideas
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:40 pm
Someone just gifted us Mancala for Kids and our boys (5 and 6) and loving it! Very easy to learn

funmother

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:00 pm
My kids both genders at almost 7-10 love the perpetual maze balls.
Rubics cubes smaller and easier ones almost like figits.
Pickup stick
Clue game
Connect 4. Little kids enjoy making patterns
Really hard puzzle. Jewish 300 peice puzzle bigger pieces.
Clicks. With some kids magazines to give the kids ideas. Rosh Hashanah time they make a scale with Mitzvos and aveiros, Shana tova greetings
More boys liked magic cards and kit magic set. Will need some help for this one. Instructions too hard.
Boys kugalch, I forgot the Hebrew name
Jack's with ball
Girls Chinese jump rope using 2 chairs or younger siblings that each get turns.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:35 pm
Thanks I ordered the marble run. Isn’t it dangerous though? Choking hazard parts?
Also can they assemble it on yk or it needs to be assembled beforehand?

I also went to amazing savings and bought a magic set, rubix cube and go fish as well as dress up things for my 2 year old girl.

They had a lot of great games there if anyones interested.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:40 pm
I bought my 7yo a lego set - around $30
That can keep him occupied by himself for a good few hours

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:00 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
I bought my 7yo a lego set - around $30
That can keep him occupied by himself for a good few hours

My 8 yo is a Lego master but I’m not spending $100 on a toy just for him. The smaller sets take just a few minutes for him to put together.

I also am not sure if putting together these intricate Lego sets is allowed on Shabbos/yt because it’s likely to remain assembled and won’t be taken apart. Anyone know?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:37 pm
Quote:
I also am not sure if putting together these intricate Lego sets is allowed on Shabbos/yt because it’s likely to remain assembled and won’t be taken apart. Anyone know?

Probably not allowed.
My kids enjoy the actual building itself, they don't usually keep the sets together on "display". They'll either break it to do it again or break it to use the pieces for something else
I've not asked a shaila on lego, but I'm assuming it's similar to puzzles which I have asked about. I was told we can do a puzzle if our intention is to put it together and then break it when we're done, but if we're hoping to keep it intact to display, then I was told we're not allowed

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:53 am
[quote="amother Poppy"]I thought monopoly is muktze.

We hold tha kids can play and adults don't. Same as with Lego.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:07 am
We do Playmobil every year. And it's always the best entertainment. My youngest is 3 this year and her favorite things is Playmobil.
It's not cheap. But it gets used the whole year.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 10:09 am
I bought a marble run for magna tiles!

Any board/card game recommendations for Elementary age kids

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:27 pm
The general rule with successful toys is toys that they play longer with, than it takes to clean up.

Our latest new toys we bought is an assorted pack of sensory fidget toys my kids can take it along with them to shul or wherever as well...
$6 on amazon

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:28 pm
Just wanted to add that beat of all toys are hidden till Yom tov begins and only take it out for limited time to keep it exciting. Like when mommy is resting/davening etc

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:37 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
I bought a marble run for magna tiles!

Any board/card game recommendations for Elementary age kids
My kids don’t like the magna tile marble run. It’s annoying to build with and the marble run itself isn’t as much fun as a usual marble run.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:42 pm
dollar store has matchbox cars im thinking of buying a bunch with tape to make "roads"

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:43 pm
asweet wrote:
Thanks so much for these ideas! We have so many toys but always need something new for yk. My 6 year old son loves small Lego, building toys and magnatiles. I'm wondering which one of these are most fun

Plus plus
Clixo, so expensive for so few pieces, is it truly fun?
Brain flakes

Thanks so much for your reply!

Either clixo or brain flakes. Plus plus wasn’t a hit. But your son likes the little Lego and my kids don’t. So maybe he would appreciate the plus plus more.

Clixo it depends how much your kids enjoy the magna tiles, these are the next step up. My kids love them. I bought 2 large sets for around $200 total. It’s a huge splurge but for me personally it’s worth it because it keeps them so busy and much easier to clean up than toys with small pieces.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:38 am
amother Gray wrote:
Either clixo or brain flakes. Plus plus wasn’t a hit. But your son likes the little Lego and my kids don’t. So maybe he would appreciate the plus plus more.

Clixo it depends how much your kids enjoy the magna tiles, these are the next step up. My kids love them. I bought 2 large sets for around $200 total. It’s a huge splurge but for me personally it’s worth it because it keeps them so busy and much easier to clean up than toys with small pieces.

is clixo a ggod brand like magnatiles? or cheap made in china?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:39 am
can anyone recommend a good playmat?

either for cars or farm? so many out there....

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:40 am
[quote="amother Gray"]Clixo
Playstix
Plus plus
Brain flakes
Calico critters
Woodzeez[/quote

woodzeez looks adorable.

is it durable?

it seems so cheap according to other branded playsets...

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:00 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
These are awesome ideas.
I never heard or seen most of these toys.

Any other recommendations?
I'm personally looking for 2-4 yo

The plus, plus blocks are great,!

I've never seen these before until I found these- (well they call it building blocks) in the dollar section in my target. I bought a few , I was going to put them away for yk, but we had a rainy shobbas..
My kids of all ages 2- 14, girls and boys, were busy all shobbas with it!
Its Definitely worth it to order the real one from amazon with base plates, and idea book.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:47 am
amother Natural wrote:
is clixo a ggod brand like magnatiles? or cheap made in china?
Very well made.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:49 am
amother Trillium wrote:
The plus, plus blocks are great,!

I've never seen these before until I found these- (well they call it building blocks) in the dollar section in my target. I bought a few , I was going to put them away for yk, but we had a rainy shobbas..
My kids of all ages 2- 14, girls and boys, were busy all shobbas with it!
Its Definitely worth it to order the real one from amazon with base plates, and idea book.

Good to know I need to give it to them again. I gave it to my younger kids and they weren’t interested. Maybe if they have the older ones helping it will be more fun. I got the version with the idea book and base plate. That will be a good new toy for Yom Kippur.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur