Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can you open milk in the store and smell it before you buy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:12 pm
Earlier today I bought some yogurts from a grocery store and they were spoiled. We don't have any nearby kosher stores so it's at least a half hour drive to go there. I posted in our communitys WhatsApp that the expiration date is good but that the product was spoiled. I said I don't know if they have a problem with their freezer. I did this so people don't have to drive all the way over there and buy spoiled yoghurt. I specified which yogurt was and the expiration date. Then someone in the community sent me a private message saying that it's lashon hara that wouldn't accomplish anything and I should speak to the store instead. The last time I tried to return spoiled milk there within 24 hours they would not take it back because they claimed that by putting it in my freezer I had spoiled it. Anyway I have no confidence speaking to the store. This person then advised me to open the yogurts and milks in the store to smell them before I buy them. (Besides I don't want it to spill in my car) I don't believe that's something I'm allowed to do anyway. Is this the norm in America? I didn't grow up here but I only heard you can open what you buy.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:15 pm
You can buy it, and then while still in the store open it and take a smell. Would they not take it back when you bought it literally one minute ago? They may try to say that it doesn't smell "that bad". That would not be okay by me.

Bring ziplocks for the car ride home (a gallon will fit in a 2 gallon ziplock)

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:20 pm
No, you can absolutely not open anything you haven’t paid for. Besides for the grossness of it it’s a real safety concern.

I do feel your frustration though.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:26 pm
If you pay for it, then open it, it's ok as someone suggested. I've returned stuff a few minutes later after I realized when putting groceries in my car that the cheese is moldy or there's a bug in the bag of rice. Never had an issue. Just bring an insulated bag with a freeze pak because an opened container of yogurt or milk can go bad quickly (assuming it smells OK and you aren't returning it)

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:41 pm
Definitely agree with keeping an insulated bag in the trunk. For a trip like this, I might even haul out the tirp igloo--after all that effort, who wants spoiled milk?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:45 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Definitely agree with keeping an insulated bag in the trunk. For a trip like this, I might even haul out the tirp igloo--after all that effort, who wants spoiled milk?

Good point. Also, op, you mentioned it's a half hour drive. Is it possible the products spoiled on the drive home? That's a long time for perishables to be out, especially if you add on the time it sat in your shopping cart, etc. Maybe try bringing an igloo with ice from now on, in any case.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:51 pm
I actually have a cooler in my car. Unfortunately that milk was already spoiled.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:55 pm
Also for context, I bought 6 bottles. Four were spoiled, two were fine. We found out that the yogurt was bad on our drive home so maybe it was outside of the store for 5 minutes. But I couldn't return back to the store because I had to pick up my son from preschool.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:57 pm
You mentioned putting the yogurt in the freezer. Are you putting the yogurt in your freezer and then thawing it? Thay could affect the consistency and taste.

I agree with other posters. Buy the milk and check it while you're in the store. And make sure you are cooling your dairy products well on the drive home.

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:00 pm
Stores where I live take back spoiled dairy products. They then contact the manufacturer

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:12 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
You mentioned putting the yogurt in the freezer. Are you putting the yogurt in your freezer and then thawing it? Thay could affect the consistency and taste.

I agree with other posters. Buy the milk and check it while you're in the store. And make sure you are cooling your dairy products well on the drive home.

No, no. Here's what happened.
1) a few weeks ago I went to store x and bought milk. When I came back home I froze part of the bottles. When I opened the other ones they were spoiled, so I went back to the store to return all of the milk because they all had the same expiration etc. Back at the store they didn't refund any of the milks, claiming that me putting milk in the freezer spoiled them. It doesn't, I've been freezing milk for years. Anyway when I unfroze the rest most were spoiled too. But that's neither here nor there. I use a cooler for the milk and other stuff.
2) today I bought yoghurt pouches. I gave them to my other kids while we were picking up the preschooler. Maybe 5 minutes after we left the store and all the yoghurt was spoiled.
3) I posted about this and a person scolding me about lashon hara said I could open the bottles and yoghurts before I buy. I told her I don't think that's allowed but she was so I made this post here .

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:19 pm
You absolutely cannot open any products in the store before paying for them.
I'd contact the manufacturer about it.

Monsey

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 6:19 pm
You can open it if the store manager lets, but I’m not taking off the shelf an open bottle.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 6:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Earlier today I bought some yogurts from a grocery store and they were spoiled. We don't have any nearby kosher stores so it's at least a half hour drive to go there. I posted in our communitys WhatsApp that the expiration date is good but that the product was spoiled. I said I don't know if they have a problem with their freezer. I did this so people don't have to drive all the way over there and buy spoiled yoghurt. I specified which yogurt was and the expiration date. Then someone in the community sent me a private message saying that it's lashon hara that wouldn't accomplish anything and I should speak to the store instead. The last time I tried to return spoiled milk there within 24 hours they would not take it back because they claimed that by putting it in my freezer I had spoiled it. Anyway I have no confidence speaking to the store. This person then advised me to open the yogurts and milks in the store to smell them before I buy them. (Besides I don't want it to spill in my car) I don't believe that's something I'm allowed to do anyway. Is this the norm in America? I didn't grow up here but I only heard you can open what you buy.

I sure hope you’re not serious???

Opening milk in the store? Would you want to buy an open container? You have no right to damage the container if you haven’t bought it and paid for it. It doesn’t belong to you yet.

Btw a lot of people don’t know this next point that I learned: it is ASSUR to give your child a bag of chips or other snack in the supermarket to eat while you’re shopping! Until you get to the cashier and actually pay for it, it does not belong to you and is actually like stealing. So pay first and then give it to the child.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 6:25 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Good point. Also, op, you mentioned it's a half hour drive. Is it possible the products spoiled on the drive home? That's a long time for perishables to be out, especially if you add on the time it sat in your shopping cart, etc. Maybe try bringing an igloo with ice from now on, in any case.

No way it spoils in half hour

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 6:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, no. Here's what happened.
1) a few weeks ago I went to store x and bought milk. When I came back home I froze part of the bottles. When I opened the other ones they were spoiled, so I went back to the store to return all of the milk because they all had the same expiration etc. Back at the store they didn't refund any of the milks, claiming that me putting milk in the freezer spoiled them. It doesn't, I've been freezing milk for years. Anyway when I unfroze the rest most were spoiled too. But that's neither here nor there. I use a cooler for the milk and other stuff.
2) today I bought yoghurt pouches. I gave them to my other kids while we were picking up the preschooler. Maybe 5 minutes after we left the store and all the yoghurt was spoiled.
3) I posted about this and a person scolding me about lashon hara said I could open the bottles and yoghurts before I buy. I told her I don't think that's allowed but she was so I made this post here .

Your friend is wrong and she gave you awful advice

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 7:27 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
I sure hope you’re not serious???

Opening milk in the store? Would you want to buy an open container? You have no right to damage the container if you haven’t bought it and paid for it. It doesn’t belong to you yet.

Btw a lot of people don’t know this next point that I learned: it is ASSUR to give your child a bag of chips or other snack in the supermarket to eat while you’re shopping! Until you get to the cashier and actually pay for it, it does not belong to you and is actually like stealing. So pay first and then give it to the child.

I clarified in another response on this thread that this is not my opinion but something someone told me. Because the someone was so confident and o didn't grow up in America I figured I'd check.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 7:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I clarified in another response on this thread that this is not my opinion but something someone told me. Because the someone was so confident and o didn't grow up in America I figured I'd check.

Maybe tell her in a gentle way not to give out that kind of eitza

Bleemee

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 7:30 pm
octopus wrote:
Stores where I live take back spoiled dairy products. They then contact the manufacturer
Store near me would only refund me if I brought back the spoiled yogurt. I told them I went to vomit and then I threw it in the garbage. (I was pregnant)Too bad on me then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics