Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat low and slow?
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:37 pm
Thanks.

The brisket was in the fridge for over a day before I sliced it. Cooked it erev yom tov and sliced before serving on night #2. Sigh.

Same thing happened with my corned beef - cooked in pot of water all morning, let it cool all afternoon, sliced it right before yom tov when it felt cool already, fell apart when slicing.

Sliced against the grain just like they always tell you to. But it falls apart along the grain. So I end up with little shreds. Which nobody minds because the sauce gets all over it and it's all sweet and yummy but it doesn't make for a very elegant presentation, which again nobody cares about but I just want to KNOW how to slice meat for goodness sake.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:05 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks.

The brisket was in the fridge for over a day before I sliced it. Cooked it erev yom tov and sliced before serving on night #2. Sigh.

Same thing happened with my corned beef - cooked in pot of water all morning, let it cool all afternoon, sliced it right before yom tov when it felt cool already, fell apart when slicing.

Sliced against the grain just like they always tell you to. But it falls apart along the grain. So I end up with little shreds. Which nobody minds because the sauce gets all over it and it's all sweet and yummy but it doesn't make for a very elegant presentation, which again nobody cares about but I just want to KNOW how to slice meat for goodness sake.

Undercook it. Slice when very cold. It continues to cook/soften when you rewarm the slices on YT before your meal.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:32 pm
OK, I'll take your word for it, what happened to cooking low and slow so it comes out soft?! So much conflicting advice...

mazelandbracha

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:34 pm
Coming back to say that my roast was delicious and shredded - slicing it was a disaster! But sooooo soft and yummy!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:42 pm
seeker wrote:
OK, I'll take your word for it, what happened to cooking low and slow so it comes out soft?! So much conflicting advice...

You'll get the soft meat anyway.
I don't cook all the way through unless I'm serving right then.

Lita

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:10 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think 200 is just a tad too low heat to bake a roast. I did a deckel roast at 215 overnight, and it was soft and buttery and delicious (literally just sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and poured a little oil over it).

How many hours in the oven?
Also, what other cuts of meat can be used?
Tia
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics