Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
If your husband or son don't fast on yom kippur (medical)...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:56 pm
My son was told not to fast this year on yom kippur due to something medical going on at the moment but was told to eat in small portions but it will take some time obviously to get all the needed sustenence and he will have to be home for that time and miss a tefila with minyan.

My question is if anyone here has a situation like this which tefila does your Dh or son spend at home to eat ? Ds said he will ask his Rebbe what to do but I want to get a small idea.. (and he said he will definately not do it in shul for obvious reasons)

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:05 pm
If he is OK with OU-D, I would recommend Boost VHC.
If he does shuirim of that, he should be able to meet his estimated nutritional needs fairly easily and still be able to be in shul most of the day.

(I have not experienced this but I am a RDN who works with failure to thrive and it is a very nutritionally dense product and as a liquid, it is easy to measure shuirim)

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:05 pm
I would say for him to eat first thing in the morning before going and then stay at shul till he’s hungry

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:15 pm
It's ok if he is hungry , he just has to eat a certain amount and not be dehydrated..

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:37 pm
Someone in our shul had to drink shiurim on Yom Kippur after donating a kidney. He brought a water bottle to shul and drank as needed. No big deal.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:45 pm
There were a few years that my husband had to eat and drink a certain number of times throughout the day on Yom Kippur and was forbidden to fast otherwise. He brought plastic shot glasses, a bottle of grape juice or Gatorade and a bag of protein bars. He put it in a cabinet in the shul kitchen and watched the clock while davening. Whenever he needed to eat or drink, he just went to the corner of the kitchen and discreetly did. It worked out well and he was able to stay in shul.

I don't know if this is helpful in your situation but there are some nutrient dense foods and drinks that don't take a lot to keep a person from dehydration without eating a full meal.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:04 pm
Is there no midday break where your son davens?

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:12 pm
is there an office or kitchen he can discreetly eat in?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:23 pm
amother Maize wrote:
Someone in our shul had to drink shiurim on Yom Kippur after donating a kidney. He brought a water bottle to shul and drank as needed. No big deal.

In all fairness, when you need to drink post donating a kidney, you are kind of a hero.
I understand OP’s desire for privacy and feelings like her DS might be embarrassed and feel weird (or weak) in front of his peers.

A kitchen or stairwell or hidden corner might give him the privacy he needs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:03 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
There were a few years that my husband had to eat and drink a certain number of times throughout the day on Yom Kippur and was forbidden to fast otherwise. He brought plastic shot glasses, a bottle of grape juice or Gatorade and a bag of protein bars. He put it in a cabinet in the shul kitchen and watched the clock while davening. Whenever he needed to eat or drink, he just went to the corner of the kitchen and discreetly did. It worked out well and he was able to stay in shul.

I don't know if this is helpful in your situation but there are some nutrient dense foods and drinks that don't take a lot to keep a person from dehydration without eating a full meal.

Thank you for your sugesstion maybe it would work out. Did your husband not feel weird walking in and out every few min ? Also would someone be able to some nutrient dense foods and drinks (more important) ideas ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:07 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
Is there no midday break where your son davens?
There is but not sure if it will be enough time. 1 hour break before mincha. 10 min to walk back and forth to shul and every ten min another shot cup measurement of food and drink.. I am sure he will use that time but we were wondering if he should skip musaf or at least the end or just go late to mincha or ...

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:34 pm
I have a relative who can't always fast due to being diabetic. Either he leaves and goes home as needed or puts his food in a quiet spot (like the shul kitchen) and goes discreetly as needed.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
There is but not sure if it will be enough time. 1 hour break before mincha. 10 min to walk back and forth to shul and every ten min another shot cup measurement of food and drink.. I am sure he will use that time but we were wondering if he should skip musaf or at least the end or just go late to mincha or ...

Did the doctor give you a time by which he should do this? If he does it after mussaf into minchah, that's what, 3pm or later? Is that too late?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:58 pm
I am not sure myself about that , the main thing is that he doesn't get dehydrated and weaken himself and feel that he has enough sustenence.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur