Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Poll: Is it Bal Tashchis to Throw Out the Fish Head?
Previous  1  2

Is it בל תשחית to throw out the fish head?
Yes  
 2%  [ 4 ]
No  
 96%  [ 188 ]
Other (explain in comments)  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 195

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:17 pm
amother Silver wrote:
No I don’t need to eat it. Go ask your Rav

I'm sure that technically, we can point at the semanim while saying the yehi ratzon. But really the point is to eat it.

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:18 pm
My husband doesn't buy it for this reason. We did candy fish, sometimes we do "head of lettuce"

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:21 pm
miami85 wrote:
My husband doesn't buy it for this reason. We did candy fish, sometimes we do "head of lettuce"

Head of lettuce is interesting! Good idea.
We did a lamb's head one year, it's worse than the fish head.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:23 pm
miami85 wrote:

Have you heard of the "lettuce half-a-raisin celery" salad?

Yeah, we tried the head of lamb one year....the girls thought it looked sinister. All those teeth.....

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Have you heard of the "lettuce half-a-raisin celery" salad?

Yeah, we tried the head of lamb one year....the girls thought it looked sinister. All those teeth.....

Yea, we even meant to do it this year but forgot...we are both due for raises, so let's hope something else covered it.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:40 pm
My boys actually enjoy picking out the meat. And they all want to eat the eyes. I actually considered buying two heads so we have enough eyes for them.
If I bought a lamb’s head, they’d be thrilled. Maybe next year..,
(Where can I find one in Flatbush anyway?)

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:48 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
My boys actually enjoy picking out the meat. And they all want to eat the eyes. I actually considered buying two heads so we have enough eyes for them.
If I bought a lamb’s head, they’d be thrilled. Maybe next year..,
(Where can I find one in Flatbush anyway?)

My store was ONLY selling 2 fish heads in a package!
Last year I saw in Lakewood prepackaged lamb heads in a box (I think they were mealmart?).

If you dont like the siman, seems a bit pointless to me to have it at your table ( a sign that you should be grossed out ? ) Dont know

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:52 pm
Are we the only ones who actually eat the flesh? The adults take a little piece (with a fork) and the kids fight over the rest! They think it’s the coolest thing!

ETA it’s great in taste. I actually know somebody who eats the head slice every shabbes.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 6:36 pm
Some people do a head of garlic

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 11:34 pm
miami85 wrote:

I suggested a head of lettuce, but DH thought it should be something that has a tail because of שנהיה לראש ולא לזנב. Confused

OTOH, he is maskim that next year we can use gummy fish instead, yay!

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 11:38 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Are we the only ones who actually eat the flesh? The adults take a little piece (with a fork) and the kids fight over the rest! They think it’s the coolest thing!

ETA it’s great in taste. I actually know somebody who eats the head slice every shabbes.

It tastes just like the rest of the fish. If you get a salmon head it tastes like salmon.

newinbp

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 11:47 pm
This has got to be the best thread I've read in a long time. Literally laughed until I was crying. Thanks so much ladies!

Also are we even asking the question over guilt of throwing something in the garbage? I mean if food isn't eaten and going bad doesn't it get tossed..I was taught we don't need to eat potentially bad food or food that's going bad just so it won't go to waste.. at this point anything not eaten first days is probably going in the trash for room for shabbos food no? Good shabbos gmar chasima tova Smile

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:04 am
Another vote for gummy fish.

Although I think someone found where I cut off the tails and ate them at a different time. Does that negate the siman?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:10 am
newinbp wrote:
This has got to be the best thread I've read in a long time. Literally laughed until I was crying. Thanks so much ladies!

Also are we even asking the question over guilt of throwing something in the garbage? I mean if food isn't eaten and going bad doesn't it get tossed..I was taught we don't need to eat potentially bad food or food that's going bad just so it won't go to waste.. at this point anything not eaten first days is probably going in the trash for room for shabbos food no? Good shabbos gmar chasima tova Smile

Aww yay, I’m glad this thread made you laugh! Smile

I do feel bad about throwing out potentially good (or at least potentially still edible) food. Even though the fish head grosses me out.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 1:11 am
imasinger wrote:
Another vote for gummy fish.

Although I think someone found where I cut off the tails and ate them at a different time. Does that negate the siman?

That's my kids' favorite erev R"H job. They cut the gummy fish in half, save the heads for Y"T, and then they get to eat the tails.

Neither DH nor I grew up with actual fish heads. I don't know about my MIL, but my mom was so grossed out by fish heads that if the fishmonger included one in her order automatically she would make my father dispose of it before she could deal with the rest of the package. The first time I ever saw a cooked fish head on Rosh Hashana was relatively recently when my BIL married a woman whose family has that minhag and MIL made one for her. SIL was thrilled and ate it happily and the rest of us were slightly grossed out. We'll stick to the gummy fish.

thanks

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 6:08 am
My mother used to bring home live carp every week. There was no kosher fish store, and she cleaned and prepped it.
My father, a'h was served the head, and we used to beg for a piece of mo-ach (brains). We also fought over the eyeballs.

Before Yom kippur, it was in our bathtub, and we used it for kapparos.

I'm in my early 50's, so this wasn't that long ago. Lol

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 6:16 am
Gummy fish!
I grew up with my mother cooking the head of the fish but DH and I both think it's gross.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur