Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Honey cake recipe?!?!
1  2  Next

girliesmommy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 3:36 pm
Can someone help me?!?! I am looking for a good recipe for honey cake (preferably one in a 9x13, but I'll take anything good!)

I just made the basic one from the spice and spirit and I'm not at all impressed Sad . I need to make quite a few of them, so something easy will be great.

Before I go and try all the ones in my cookbooks, can anyone recommend a good, moist one?

Thanks!

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 3:42 pm
I love this one, it's the only one I'll eat. I make it in loaf pans, though.

Honey Loaf
4 eggs, separated
1 ¼ c. sugar
1 ½ c. honey
½ c. oil
1 large apple, grated
less than 1 c. coffee (1 T. in 1 c. Water)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. flour

Pour into loaf pans, sprinkle with sliced almonds. 350° for 50 minutes. Makes four loaf pans.

P.S. I was making this last night and realized that I only had 2 cups of flour instead of 4. But I did have some whole wheat flour (and some high-gluten flour) and I added it instead. It came out very good.

MMEC123

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 4:25 pm
Another teacher in my school just made the most AMAZING honey cake with her class. I'll try to get the recipe. And btw, I don't like honey cake so if I think it's good, trust me on that Smile.

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:12 pm
I've made this one for the past few years. It is really good. The lemony glaze really makes the cake. I poke mine full of holes so it seaps into the cake.

Last edited by chavamom on Sun, Sep 21 2014, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rivk

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 9:29 pm
This is the best and easiest honey cake that I've ever made.
It's called "old fashioned honey cake"
It's from "The Taste of Shabbos" cookbook

2 eggs
3/4 c. honey
1 c. sugar
1/2 c.+1Tbs. oil
1tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. flour
1 c. strong coffee

Combine eggs, honey, sugar, and oil. MIx in dry ingredients alternating with coffee. Beat five minutes. Pour into 9x13 greased pan. Bake at 375 till done. (sorry - no exact time in cookbook, but I'd estimate 40 - 5 min.
My husband loves this cake!

willow

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 7:14 am
hi rivk, I just made the honey cake recipe and it was all burnt on top but the middle wasn't all the way ready. what did I do wrong?

Rivk

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 7:45 am
Sorry willow! I have no idea! embarrassed

Chanie

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 9:55 am
rivk, made your recipe... it smells and looks great. Now lets see how it tastes Smile

willow

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 10:10 am
chanie, I also made that recipe did you bake it on 375 for about 45 min? also what size pan did you use? maybe I used to small a pan so it was to much batter?

cindy324

Post Fri, Sep 30 2005, 2:25 pm
Rivk - I just made your honey cake, too and it came out great. Your timing was correct took about 50 minutes. Thanks for the recipe. BTW I used a 9x13 pan willow.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 12:22 pm
I hope to try to recipe! we're eaing out the meals - maybe I'll make it in smaller tins and bring them along as gifts to our hosts?
Btw, just something funny....when I was single, I baked a chocolate cake that called for a cup of coffee...and I put in a CUP OF COFFEE....literally! (not mixed w/ hot water)....so beware, for anyone who's never made a recipe callin gfor a cup of coffee...they mean a TSP dissolved in a cup!

miriam

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 10:19 pm
Sarahd, I baked your recipe today and it came out delish!! Todah Rabbah!!!

hadasa

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 1:46 am
I usually put in less coffee or tea instead of coffee, because kids usually don't like the bitter taste the coffee gives it.

marroon

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:14 am
Anyone got a good (yummy tasting), easy (mix, pour and bake), foolproof (won't be kicking myself afterwards for wasted time and ingredients) honey cake recipe for R"H?

Very Happy

sarahd

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:32 am
Sorry, no. My recipe turns out delicious and is pretty foolproof, but it requires separating eggs and grating an apple, so can't be categorized as mix, pour, bake.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 8:48 am
the old reliable honey cake in the original lub cook book ... (I do tend to modify some stuff) and I like the spicey version with ginger, cloves, ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 10:01 am
sure. I've posted them in other years

klotzkashe

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 8:03 am
PLEASE POST a nice MOIST honey cake recipe that doens't need separated eggs!!!!
eternally grateful!

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 12:38 pm
I don't know if anyone still needs a honey cake recipe, but this is my absolute favorite. It's so easy to make. It's not too honey-ish, it's almost like a spice cake, with enough honey to count as a honey cake. It's from the book A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking, by Marcy Goldman.

MAJESTIC AND MOIST NEW YEAR'S HONEY CAKE

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup warm water or strong tea
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup rye or whiskey (see note)
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)

I like this cake best baked in a 9 inch angel food cake pan, but you can also make it in a 10-inch tube or bundt cake pain, a 9 by 13-inch sheetpan, or three 8 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the pan(s). For tube and angel food pans, line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Make a well in the center and add the oil, honey, sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee, orange juice and rye or whiskey.

Using a strong wire whisk or an electric mixer on slow speed, combine the ingredients well to make a thick batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom of the bowl.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s) and sprinkle the top of the cake (s) evenly with the almonds. Place the cake pan(s) on 2 baking sheets stacked together and bake until the cake springs back when you touch it gently in the center. For angel and tube cake pains, bake for 60 to 70 minutes; loaf cakes, 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet-style cakes, the baking time is 40 to 45 minutes. This is a liquidy batter and, depending on your oven, it may need extra time. Cake should spring back when slightly pressed.

Let cake stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan. Then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely.

(My notes: I prefer less spice, so I use smaller amounts of cinnamon, cloves and allspice. What I do is mix them together and add in smaller amounts until it smells right to me. I guess I kind of experiment. I've only done it in a sheet pan (9 x 13) and don't invert onto the rack. I just serve it out of the pan.)

MommyEsty

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:10 am
does any one have any experiance with the honey cakes from the spice and spirit...? there is a classic honey cake and an old fasioned honey cake..
any of them good and moist?

any one have anyother good recipies??
thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus