Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Things you wish were kosher
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:21 am
traveller! wrote:
I would love to taste all the treif food, taste being key here! Lobster, prawns, scallop, crab, pork, bacon, mixing milt and meat etc!

Pork is not what it’s made out to be. It’s bleh to be honest. I find beef to have that much more meaty flavor. And chicken. Pork tastes like oink meat dunked in musty river water by itself. The spices/sauces/juices are there to cover it up lol.
I had shrimp before, but we only ate ceviche on a crispy tortilla with it. I couldn’t stand scallops and I never ate a lobster. Bacon was yum. I know it’s pig meat 😂 but that smoky flavor…
And who else wishes for kosher pepperoni?!?!

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:29 am
POP TARTS - the real ones , not the fake kosher ones

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:39 am
Someone kindly made a spin-off to explain/discuss the cholov yisroel question that keeps coming up here. If anyone has anything to ask/discuss about that, let’s move it off this thread:

Spin Off Thread

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:47 am
Have you ever seen the cooking shows where they baste a steak with butter in a pan with some garlic and herbs? I would love to try that. Oil or margarine just aren't the same.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:55 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Have you ever seen the cooking shows where they baste a steak with butter in a pan with some garlic and herbs? I would love to try that. Oil or margarine just aren't the same.

I can confirm that butter, rosemary, and garlic make the most heavenly steak sauce.

You FFBs don’t know what you’re missing.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:09 am
PeanutMama wrote:
Pork is not what it’s made out to be. It’s bleh to be honest. I find beef to have that much more meaty flavor. And chicken. Pork tastes like oink meat dunked in musty river water by itself. The spices/sauces/juices are there to cover it up lol.
I had shrimp before, but we only ate ceviche on a crispy tortilla with it. I couldn’t stand scallops and I never ate a lobster. Bacon was yum. I know it’s pig meat 😂 but that smoky flavor…
And who else wishes for kosher pepperoni?!?!

Pork is as flavorful as chicken. If not more flavorful.

Depends on how it is prepared but most chicken has less flavor than pork unless it is special artisanal chicken. And pork spare ribs are divine. Beef spare ribs don’t hold a candle to them.

wordsmith

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:24 am
Twinkies, Lifesavers, Wrigley's Big Red and Juicy Fruit gums.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:30 am
PeanutMama wrote:
Yup. Exactly.
My rov and mashpia both confirmed it says so in the shulchan aruch which chasidim (which I am) follow.
Anything that’s not cholov yisroel is considered treif.

Rav Moshe allowed people to eat treif?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:32 am
Rutabaga wrote:

Almost all high quality baked goods are made with butter so all of the inability to have a really delicious dessert. And all of the fake desserts that should be made with real cream.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:42 am
amother Coral wrote:
Almost all high quality baked goods are made with butter so all of the inability to have a really delicious dessert. And all of the fake desserts that should be made with real cream.

I don't understand this. We don't eat meat, but we eat dairy (and I bake, well). So many times I've offered to bring dessert when we've been invited to dinner with friends, but I keep hearing "My husband won't eat a dairy meal."

More for me, I guess, but there are ways around this that are still delicious.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:46 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I don't understand this. We don't eat meat, but we eat dairy (and I bake, well). So many times I've offered to bring dessert when we've been invited to dinner with friends, but I keep hearing "My husband won't eat a dairy meal."

More for me, I guess, but there are ways around this that are still delicious.

I agree with you as there are delicious dairy meals but the reality is that many meals traditionally contain meat since it is a limitation since one is forced to serve a mediocre dessert. Obviously if one is vegetarian or even a pescatarian one can enjoy wonderful butter cakes and cookies. But the default for most meals, especially fancy meals is meat as the entree.

Aurora

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 11:14 am
I think I'm just really sad I can't try all the foods. Or travel, and stop in at a cute local restaurant and see what the food is like. Go to a random food truck. Or, yes, wish I could cook everything in butter.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 11:17 am
amother Coral wrote:
Pork is as flavorful as chicken. If not more flavorful.

Depends on how it is prepared but most chicken has less flavor than pork unless it is special artisanal chicken. And pork spare ribs are divine. Beef spare ribs don’t hold a candle to them.

Ehmm no it’s not 🥴. I ate it in the past in many different homes and restaurants so I know what I’m talking about. Beef tastes much better than pork.
But it might be my personal taste lol. What can be yummy to one person isn’t to another which sounds like this in this case.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 11:17 am
amother Cognac wrote:
POP TARTS - the real ones , not the fake kosher ones

YES! YES! YES!

Goldie613

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 11:56 am
Anyone remember when Hershey first got a hechsher on the package? One of my teacher's actually announced when the york peppermint patties became kosher!

Apparently, prior to the hechsher being on the label you had to keep track of which ones were kosher - due to antisemitism concerns the company wasn't sticking the ou on the packaging, but were under that hechsher.

Then again, I remember when people used to just read the labels and decide if it was fine, or buy regular gum because what could be in gum anyway (and yes, I'm talking frum families, you just have to go back quite a few decades).

My personal favorite - that did eventually come out with good kosher ones - was marshmallows. I always wanted them as a kid, but they were never kosher, at best you eventually could find ones that came out (maybe for Pesach?) that were hard - they didn't feel squishy like the non-kosher packages did. Oh, the announcements and ads when the kosher ones came out that were squishy!

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:14 pm
sequoia wrote:
I can confirm that butter, rosemary, and garlic make the most heavenly steak sauce.

You FFBs don’t know what you’re missing.

We ffb’s can happily live without it

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:18 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Most restaurants outside of specific neighborhoods in New York City are NOT kosher - what in the world are you describing.

There is a universe of restaurants that are off limits because they aren't kosher and the quality of kosher Chinese food is disgusting. There are numerous cuisines that aren't available kosher - or interesting restaurants. Big deal there is one food truck that serves hamburgers when part of the joy of food trucks is that very creative chefs make very interesting food because they don't have the huge costs of a restaurant.

There are numerous posts on imamother in which people are seeking advice on how to travel because of the limited kosher food options.

If you don't think that life is much simpler if you can simply pull into any restaurant that is well reviewed - or even just convenient because the kids are cranky and hungry and want their Chicken Nuggets from one of the 100 fast food places off the highway you don't have a clue as to how circumscribed your life is.

Funny but I never ever considered myself inconvenienced by not being able to stop at a nearby non kosher restaurant. And no, lots of us think kosher chinese food is just fine and actually yummy, far from disgusting as you describe it. Maybe you should stop comparing and focus on how many kosher places are available. In other words focus on the good and not what you think is the bad,

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:36 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Funny but I never ever considered myself inconvenienced by not being able to stop at a nearby non kosher restaurant. And no, lots of us think kosher chinese food is just fine and actually yummy, far from disgusting as you describe it. Maybe you should stop comparing and focus on how many kosher places are available. In other words focus on the good and not what you think is the bad,

This is literally a thread on what people wish about what could be kosher - so the thread is based on people NOT being happy with unavailability.

Your lifestyle must be very different if you are always close to a kosher restaurant. If you don't live in certain areas or want to travel your choices are generally inconvenient and limited.

And kosher Chinese food is terrible. Most non-kosher neighborhood Chinese restaurants are also objectively terrible - too greasy and much too sweet.

Life is a balance of course but to claim that being kosher doesn't severely restrict one's ability to live in the modern world including travel is not accurate - again unless you deliberately live life within very narrow geographic confines and of course don't mind shlepping food for the simplest weekend trip with your family.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:38 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I agree with you as there are delicious dairy meals but the reality is that many meals traditionally contain meat since it is a limitation since one is forced to serve a mediocre dessert. Obviously if one is vegetarian or even a pescatarian one can enjoy wonderful butter cakes and cookies. But the default for most meals, especially fancy meals is meat as the entree.

Why does a dessert have to be mediocre because it’s not dairy?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:42 pm
amother Coral wrote:
This is literally a thread on what people wish about what could be kosher - so the thread is based on people NOT being happy with unavailability.

Your lifestyle must be very different if you are always close to a kosher restaurant. If you don't live in certain areas or want to travel your choices are generally inconvenient and limited.

And kosher Chinese food is terrible. Most non-kosher neighborhood Chinese restaurants are also objectively terrible - too greasy and much too sweet.

Life is a balance of course but to claim that being kosher doesn't severely restrict one's ability to live in the modern world including travel is not accurate - again unless you deliberately live life within very narrow geographic confines and of course don't mind shlepping food for the simplest weekend trip with your family.

I think you’re missing the point. Not everyone NEEDS the availability of kosher restaurants. You are using “the availability of kosher food” to mean the availability of kosher restaurants, but they are not the same thing. I don’t need restaurants when I go away. We take food with us because that’s what we want to do. We very rarely don’t go somewhere because there are no kosher restaurants.
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen