Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
PLEASE Use gloves in self service take out places!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:34 pm
Am I the only one who can’t understand people freely shoving their hands into the food items in self service buffet type take-out stores? And today a man started grabbing challah rolls from a basket and then put them back and decided not to take, I asked him to please use the gloves or not put back what he was holding. Anyone else get grossed out?

relaxation

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:48 pm
Oh most definately.

Im with you on this one.

This is why with the bakeries I go to they provide tongs , paper sheets and plastic bags to hold the baked goods.

With takeouts though I always see big serving spoons etc.. not sure why someone would want to use their hands...

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:05 pm
I often see social media influencers on instagram showing the takeout offerings at a supermarket (who I'm sure pays them for the privilege) literally breathing on the food and in some cases touching it with bare hands to show the specific items. All it makes me think is that no way am I buying from there!

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:05 pm
How does this even follow health department guidelines?! Baked items without wrapper or bags?
Produce not needing to be wrapped makes sense as we can wash it. But bread?!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:08 pm
relaxation wrote:
Oh most definately.

Im with you on this one.

This is why with the bakeries I go to they provide tongs , paper sheets and plastic bags to hold the baked goods.

With takeouts though I always see big serving spoons etc.. not sure why someone would want to use their hands...

This place had plastics available and tongs but people choose not to “bother” with them.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:11 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
How does this even follow health department guidelines?! Baked items without wrapper or bags?
Produce not needing to be wrapped makes sense as we can wash it. But bread?!

I find it even worse when it’s the workers who are so unsanitary. Today I was at the fish dept in a large kosher supermarket and I asked for some little containers of dip that they give with the fish and one of the workers who had no gloves on and kept coughing volunteered to get me the dips (involving handling a large container of it and pouring it into small cups… I said no thanks and told them why.
Why no gloves? When handling fish?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:53 pm
Ugh yes. I reheat when I get home or if it’s not reheatable, I don’t buy.
My DH describes the way people will take handfuls of chickpeas from serving bowls at a shalom zachor and I find it disgusting.

tweety1

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Am I the only one who can’t understand people freely shoving their hands into the food items in self service buffet type take-out stores? And today a man started grabbing challah rolls from a basket and then put them back and decided not to take, I asked him to please use the gloves or not put back what he was holding. Anyone else get grossed out?

Don't get me started on that. I've seen it multiple times in the grocery. I wanted to SCREAM! It's soooo disgusting. If you touch it=take it!!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:18 pm
I was watching the guy make pizza at the local pizza store, and he was not wearing gloves! I couldn't believe it, I'm so disgusted. I saw this at more than 1 pizza store.
The bakeries here have boxes of gloves laid out but for some reason, not everyone takes... gross. I try to buy only packaged goods.

Cookin4days

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:20 pm
Unless its behind a glass and only accessed by someone who works there I will not buy, open containers are nasty

Simple1

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:20 pm
I do get grossed out. But I know many people aren't scared of germs and truth is our immune system (if healthy) can tolerate it and even be strengthened by them to a certain extent. I still don't like to buy open Challahs. My dh does, and I guess what I don't see won't hurt me. I just recently saw a challah drop off the shelf I onto the floor, and was put right back on. I wouldn't tell anyone what to do, but if you don't like it, just stick with packaged items.

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:21 pm
I totally agree. And don't get me started on the candy stores with open bins! I've seen what happens in those, especially on an erev Shabbos when people bring their kids to pick out treats.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 3:28 pm
I watched a girl making pizza at a store, wearing gloves, and then she tucked her hair behind her ear.
So why bother wearing gloves…
🤮

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 3:36 pm
All the above is beyond gross but the the thing that really drives me beserk is when people use their own forks to eat directly from communal platters at social events. I live in Israel and this happens a lot and I can't tell you how many times I have not been able to enjoy the food at various events because of this. And these are generally people who have high standards of cleanliness in their homes but when it comes to food, it all flies out the window.....as if we aren't all just recovering from a pandemic Rolling Eyes

top mom

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 4:39 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
I watched a girl making pizza at a store, wearing gloves, and then she tucked her hair behind her ear.
So why bother wearing gloves…
🤮

Exactly!
Gloves aren't a perfect solution.
My kids don't want to step into a certain take out place after watching one of the workers pick his 👃 with his gloved-obviously- hand Puke
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette