Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Torah Ohr in Eretz Yisroel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:37 pm
Does anyone know what types of boys this Yeshiva usually attracts? Was recommended to us for our son..he’s our oldest but we’re clueless. Plus very nervous about “free time” for a boy in Israel too.

Are the boys who go here of good hashkafah?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:29 am
With you OP, trying to find out more.

Think I might ask the Rebbe if any boys are there this year or last year so I can get in touch with their mothers.

mk10

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:31 pm
If you find out more, can you please post here? I'm also looking into it.
FYI, their website spells it Torah Ore.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 12:44 am
My brother is there for decades. It's Rav Scheinberg's zt’l yeshiva. He really learned how to shteig there and is still there ka"h, children, grandchildren ka"h.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:29 am
I’ve been living in sorotzkin area since I got married.
Of the boys that have eaten at me, I’ve only had the best impressions. Well mannered, keep Seder, not running around doing nothing… Some do stay in kollel after marriage and really shteig, some not. I wouldn’t say they’re the most learned boys ever out of all the yeshivas (as in I don’t think there’s a large percentage that are extremely high level long term learners), but this is a great really frum yeshiva where boys actually learn imo. They have a basketball court (or something) out back which the boys use. The boys that ate at me, all different years, none of them smoked and said it wasn’t something that really was going on in their yeshiva, and I never notice anyone hanging around smoking. They seem to be extremely well mannered and calm, and I would readily accept Torah or bachurim in my home anytime! Can’t say the same about the Mir… They are a white shirt black hat yeshiva. As far as I remember, there are occasional trips but not very often.
Hope that helps

mk10

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:32 am
Very helpful, ty.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 2:45 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I’ve been living in sorotzkin area since I got married.
Of the boys that have eaten at me, I’ve only had the best impressions. Well mannered, keep Seder, not running around doing nothing… Some do stay in kollel after marriage and really shteig, some not. I wouldn’t say they’re the most learned boys ever out of all the yeshivas (as in I don’t think there’s a large percentage that are extremely high level long term learners), but this is a great really frum yeshiva where boys actually learn imo. They have a basketball court (or something) out back which the boys use. The boys that ate at me, all different years, none of them smoked and said it wasn’t something that really was going on in their yeshiva, and I never notice anyone hanging around smoking. They seem to be extremely well mannered and calm, and I would readily accept Torah or bachurim in my home anytime! Can’t say the same about the Mir… They are a white shirt black hat yeshiva. As far as I remember, there are occasional trips but not very often.
Hope that helps

Yes extremely helpful thanks!!!

amother
Heather

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:31 pm
Reviving this thread - my son is seriously considering switching to Torah Ohr for the winter zman. Can any imas who have sons there currently or whose sons were there recently please weigh in? Specifically - what types of boys go there (hashkafically), what other yeshivos is it similar to (Beis, Tomo, Mercaz, Toras Chaim etc), what is the schedule like, do they do any tiyulim or is it all learning, do the boys have smart phones, what type of rules do they have
For reference - my son is a worldly, open minded yeshivish-lite type. Follows some sports. He is currently in one of the aforementioned yeshivos.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!
TIA!!

jayle

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:19 pm
My son is there in his second year, he's very happy, he's one of a handful of European boys the others are mainly American, it's quite open minded, my son dresses in black and white for sedarim but does change to more sporty clothes in between, they do have trips here and there, and for Shabbos the boys join up and sometimes go on their own trips.
Regarding smart phones they are allowed them but they have restricted use, they can use them for one hour every evening, plus on trips etc, they are strict about this rule.
As far as I understand the learning is on a medium standard, my son really likes his magid shiur and they make sure that the boys have suitable chavrusas, they also match up the boys with avreichim to learn.
They have a common room to 'chill' and a basket ball area,
The bochurim all get along well.
All in all we are happy that he's there, he's happy, it's definitely not a heavy yeshiva it's more chilled.

Anyway hope that was helpful.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:44 pm
Yes! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. G'mar chasima tova!!!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:50 pm
My son is there as well and I would agree with what others have posted. One thing that we have been very impressed with is the warmth of the yeshiva - the rabbeim really go out of their way to make kesharim with the guys. Also the yeshiva really comes together - it doesn’t matter if you are first year, 2nd year etc. On off shabbosim many of the boys will do things together too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics