Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
PSA Honey
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:27 pm
the honey sold in stores has high fructose corn syrup and they don’t need to label it.
That’s why honey with challa is so addictive.
Try to buy raw honey

groovy1224

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:32 pm
Challah and honey is addictive because it's delicious.

What brand adds high fructose corn syrup to their honey? This doesn't sound accurate to me.

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
the honey sold in stores has high fructose corn syrup and they don’t need to label it.
That’s why honey with challa is so addictive.
Try to buy raw honey

Have you verified which brands? Because gefen and liebers do not. I verified.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:37 pm
In the US, that it inaccurate. The FDA updated the labelling requirements for honey in 2014, and if there is anything other than honey in it, it must be identified on the label, and cannot just be called honey.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:44 pm
Canada there’s fake honey everywhere. The fda is different there maybe but in the US honey also goes thru a process using corn syrup not sure exactly how it works but it might not be 100 percent pure as you all might think. No specific company comes to mind it’s just the system how they produce honey in general. They don’t give over all the facts honestly. Just letting ppl know to make wise choices.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:10 am
I always buy honeycomb for RH, but we eat honey on challah year round. I don’t find it particularly addictive though.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Canada there’s fake honey everywhere. The fda is different there maybe but in the US honey also goes thru a process using corn syrup not sure exactly how it works but it might not be 100 percent pure as you all might think. No specific company comes to mind it’s just the system how they produce honey in general. They don’t give over all the facts honestly. Just letting ppl know to make wise choices.

If that is the case in the US, then what they are doing is illegal. It's hard to believe that illegal honey processing is a widespread occurrence on the US. Do you have any proof of this?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:44 am
Lol it’s on the bottom of the list of things being done illegally. It says if honey changes hands like twice or three times then corn syrup doesn’t have to be announced. There’s ways to get around it and unfortunately people and the government take advantage

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:50 am
Speak to the people in hashgacha. They would know exactly what is in the honey or it wouldn’t have a hechsher.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:13 am
Not sure where you're getting this. For what it's worth, honey is almost always labeled kosher for Pesach. - which Ashkenazim don't do if it has corn syrup. It sounds like you're repeating something you heard but haven't verified.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:14 am
amother Crocus wrote:
I always buy honeycomb for RH, but we eat honey on challah year round. I don’t find it particularly addictive though.

I don’t either. Don’t like honey at all.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:14 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Not sure where you're getting this. For what it's worth, honey is almost always labeled kosher for Pesach. - which Ashkenazim don't do if it has corn syrup. It sounds like you're repeating something you heard but haven't verified.

It is well known that much olive oil is counterfeit, mixed with other oils that are likely kitnios, but they generally also get labeled kosher for Pesach.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:25 am
amother Lime wrote:
It is well known that much olive oil is counterfeit, mixed with other oils that are likely kitnios, but they generally also get labeled kosher for Pesach.

Absolutely not true. Not all olive oils are labeled Kfp.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:48 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
Absolutely not true. Not all olive oils are labeled Kfp.

OU: "All extra virgin olive oils are Kosher for Passover, as long as it bears the OU symbol." https://oukosher.org/passover/.....-oil/

CRC: "100% pure extra virgin olive oil does not need a hechsher, including Pesach" https://askcrc.org/item/Passover/1866

(Sorry, should have clarified extra-virgin. Most extra-virgin olive oils are potentially counterfeit.)

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Lol it’s on the bottom of the list of things being done illegally. It says if honey changes hands like twice or three times then corn syrup doesn’t have to be announced. There’s ways to get around it and unfortunately people and the government take advantage

What do you mean "it says"? Who is saying this?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Who is THEY and where did you get your information in your OP from?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:25 am
[quote="amother OP"]Lol it’s on the bottom of the list of things being done illegally. It says if honey changes hands like twice or three times then corn syrup doesn’t have to be announced. There’s ways to get around it and unfortunately people and the government take advantage[/quote]

To be clear, the US government does not allow for any way around the labelling requirements, not matter how many times honey changes hands. There is no way around it. I'm really not understanding how this is happening as you claim.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:16 am
What I've heard (and choose to ignore and remain in denial lol) is that at some point they bees are interacting with corn syrup mixed in with the honey and so it's really at the beginning of the process and therefore not labeled I'm not familiar with honey process so I'm not sure exactly and I do hope this isnt true but that's what I've heard...

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:17 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
What I've heard (and choose to ignore and remain in denial lol) is that at some point they bees are interacting with corn syrup mixed in with the honey and so it's really at the beginning of the process and therefore not labeled I'm not familiar with honey process so I'm not sure exactly and I do hope this isnt true but that's what I've heard...

If anyone here has a relative in Kashrut and knows more, please enlighten us! (Or maybe don't LOL Banging head )

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:24 am
It’s important to know if this is really the case , for those that have an allergy to corn. My sister had a severe allergy to corn when I was growing up and couldn’t have anything with corn syrup . I would be surprised if I’m the US it wouldn’t need to be disclosed that it has traces of corn, if the honey really does have corn syrup.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics