Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Rosemary Garlic Pull Apart Challah Knots

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:28 am
These were like the challah version of the garlic knots that are served at pizza places. They are delicious and not hard to make if you know how to make challah dough. Like the notes indicate just "steal" from your challah dough Very Happy

ROSEMARY GARLIC PULL-APART CHALLAH KNOTS

Excerpt From: Bonnie Stern - Don't Worry, Just Cook.

Makes 12 to 16 buns

This has become the most requested variation of my challah at Friday night dinner. Because I can make two or three breads out of one challah recipe, if I want to make these knots, I’ll make one less bread and use that dough for knots instead. They’re a perfect little appetizer, especially if people come over early, if kids need a snack after school, or if you just need a bite of challah because the smell of freshly baked bread is so overpowering but you don’t want to cut into the big challah yet. They will be gone in a flash. Serve them on their own or with dips like hummus (this page) or chirshi (this page).

⅓ batch challah dough on this page (about 1 to 1¼ lb)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced or grated
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary + a few sprigs
¾ tsp kosher salt
1 egg
Flaky sea salt

1. Let the dough rise at least once.

2. While it’s rising, combine the olive oil, garlic, chopped rosemary, and salt in a shallow bowl or 8-inch baking dish.

3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or you can use a lined round or square pan.

4. Push the dough down gently and divide the dough into pieces about 1 ½ oz each—about 12 to 16 pieces for this amount of dough. (Don’t worry if they aren’t all the same size. In fact, I like when they’re not.) Roll each piece into a rope about 6 inches long, then twist into a knot—make a loop and tuck one end through. When all the knots are formed, dip each bun into the olive oil mixture to coat on both sides and arrange on the lined baking sheet in rows or circles, side by side. I like when they are just barely touching each other so that they bake into pull-apart buns. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.

5. Preheat the oven to 350°F while the buns are rising. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Brush the tops of the buns with the egg and sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt. Scatter or surround with sprigs of fresh rosemary.

6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and an instant-read thermometer registers 185°F to 195°F when inserted into the thickest bun.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads