Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Fewer expensive clothes or lots of cheaper clothes?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:23 am
I'm hoping people can help me make a decision. I saw some really beautiful dresses online, really good quality from a really great store, and they happen to be beautiful colors for me, but it's quite out of my budget. The question is, because of the fact that they are high quality really nice pieces in the colors that look best on me (btw these would all be for shabbos/yt/ special occasions), is it worth the $680 that's in my cart? That's for like 5 or 6 dresses. Does it make more sense to do that, than to constantly be getting cheaper quality clothing that don't last my through the seasons? The reason my other clothing doesn't last me is because I find whatever I can for cheap (think $35 dress on Amazon), but it's not great quality, just mediocre, they don't always have many color options that actually look good on me, and eventually I stop wearing them. The ones I currently see on this nice website are statement pieces, my style, my colors, I absolutely love everything about them! Just really can't afford it right now Sad I haven't spent that much money on clothing since I was single living at home... Any opinion on what's more worth it? (Obv, I don't have to buy all 6 dresses in my cart. Even 1 is expensive for me though. So I'm trying to figure out what's really worth it).

imaima

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:29 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm hoping people can help me make a decision. I saw some really beautiful dresses online, really good quality from a really great store, and they happen to be beautiful colors for me, but it's quite out of my budget. The question is, because of the fact that they are high quality really nice pieces in the colors that look best on me (btw these would all be for shabbos/yt/ special occasions), is it worth the $680 that's in my cart? That's for like 5 or 6 dresses. Does it make more sense to do that, than to constantly be getting cheaper quality clothing that don't last my through the seasons? The reason my other clothing doesn't last me is because I find whatever I can for cheap (think $35 dress on Amazon), but it's not great quality, just mediocre, they don't always have many color options that actually look good on me, and eventually I stop wearing them. The ones I currently see on this nice website are statement pieces, my style, my colors, I absolutely love everything about them! Just really can't afford it right now Sad I haven't spent that much money on clothing since I was single living at home... Any opinion on what's more worth it? (Obv, I don't have to buy all 6 dresses in my cart. Even 1 is expensive for me though. So I'm trying to figure out what's really worth it).

100 $ per dress is not expensive nowadays.
Of course you are justified to buy clothes that suit you and are better quality.

Beware your size though because if you ttc then these dresses may never fit you again. And also styles, how classic are they?
That’s why if the styles are not classic, I would get up to 3 and not 6 (assuming that you still have other clothes in the closet).

Last edited by imaima on Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:29 am
Imho I would take the expensive ones even a couple of them..
I find they have better cuts and makes you feel good.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:30 am
If something is trendy, or your size changes often, or you hate dealing with dry cleaning, or you tend to be rough on your clothing, choose the less expensive option.

If something really makes you look great, and you're ok with wearing it for years then spring for the expensive dress.

I know, this is all very subjective.

emzod42

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:43 am
I'd buy a couple and see how I like them... I've had cheaper things for years and more expensive things that I've barely worn. It's especially hard to know from online shopping.

paperflowers

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:09 am
One dress that fits well, looks good on you, and makes you feel good to wear is better worth more than 5 dresses that do none of the above, or even 2 of the above. Otherwise you end up with a closet full of clothes that leave you frustrated and you still never feel like you have anything to wear.

Obviously don’t spend money that you don’t have, but unless you have a very good reason to buy the cheaper clothing, just don’t.

That’s my opinion.

lucky14

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:15 am
Yes!!! I’m in the exact same position as you are describing. If you really know they will last longer (some expensive clothing is junky actually) AND if it’s a classic style that you will want to wear for at least a few years go for it! I made this realization a few years ago and I’ve been buying myself a couple of new nice dresses or outfits each year. It’s so worth it.
They still look good after washing, fabrics aren’t pilling and I look much more out together.
I’ve been slowly filling up my yom tov/Shabbat wardrobe (including shoes) but I’m going to work on weekday stuff next.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:41 am
For yourself definitely.

For kids I’d prefer more options of cheaper items because they get ruined faster. But for an adult a week fitted good quality garment is worth much more a bunch of China junk IMHO.

gootlfriends

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:43 am
Just keep in mind that some pricier clothes need dry cleaning.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:46 am
Absolutely worth it.
Just not sure why you need 6 outfits off the bat. Can you maybe start off with 3 and work upwards. They may even go on sale January time.
You deserve to feel beautiful.
Also where are you finding stuff online. Share the wealth lol..

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:58 am
I would start with 2 more expensive ones and stay within my budget by filling in with some less expensive items. You can also try poshmark and ebay if it is something specific.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:05 am
So worth it. Save the cheap Amazon stuff for the kids.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:08 am
am I the only one who tends to stain my clothing:(

realtalk

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:16 am
I would buy one or 2 nicer pieces a season and fill in with cheap until you have enough nicer pieces year to year that you don’t need to buy anymore

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:18 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
am I the only one who tends to stain my clothing:(

When I get a stain I have ussually found a way to get it out.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:21 am
You said $600 is out of your budget. It would be out of mine to spend that much at once as well. How about instead of 5 or 6 pieces you pick 2-3? Would $300 be closer to your budget?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:06 am
Buy 1 or 2 at most. Dresses have been so trendy for the last couple years that I predict in another year or so, they will start going out. If you have 2 nice dresses, and a few cheaper ones (for when you are doing stuff around the home where they may get dirty etc) that should suffice and you'll feel better next year when trends are starting to change, that you can go ahead and buy something new so you aren't stuck with a wardrobe that is starting to get outdated.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:23 am
Expensive clothing for an adult is ALWAYS worth it.

In my experience it fits better and just looks better.

Also I wind up wearing the same more flattering comfortable clothing more often so on a "cost per wear" basis expensive clothing is actually less expensive.

Obviously not all expensive clothing is flattering as I have also bought some expensive lemons that were worn once or twice but in general the pieces that I have worn over and over again were higher quality to start because the fabrics are nicer - drape better and look better.

Obviously there is a rule of reason and so an expensive black skirt is different than a fun t-shirt in terms of what one wants to spend.

Also - and not to be a snob but as others have pointed out $100 for a dress is not considered to be expensive. A $35 dress (unless you scored an amazing sale) is considered to be almost disposable clothing - fabric is not going to be as nice and probably a synthetic and the construction will be cheap because the manufacturer has to cut corners in terms of both the pattern and the actual sewing.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:06 am
Depends on your taste and how much you care about wearing the latest thing. If you go for trendy, up-to-the-minute fashions and won't wear something from a year or three ago, go cheap. You won't get enough wear out of the expensive goods to make it worthwhile. OTOH if you dress in classic styles and/or are not repelled by the idea of wearing something that is clearly not current. by all means go for the quality.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:13 am
I thought you were going to say $600 per dress…..
I would much rather get 2-3 good quality shabbos dresses, and always look really chic, then 6-10 dresses, and not look as chic but have more to change up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics