Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Things you wish were kosher
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

Aurora

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:46 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I think you’re missing the point. Not everyone NEEDS the availability of kosher restaurants. You are using “the availability of kosher food” to mean the availability of kosher restaurants, but they are not the same thing. I don’t need restaurants when I go away. We take food with us because that’s what we want to do. We very rarely don’t go somewhere because there are no kosher restaurants.

I do a bunch of traveling to places without kosher restaurants. We manage.

But it would be nice to suddenly have many more food options available. And, well, I want to see what things are like.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:52 pm
wordsmith wrote:
Twinkies, Lifesavers, Wrigley's Big Red and Juicy Fruit gums.

Twinkies are gross. You ain’t missing out lol!

I’m a convert from Louisiana and I miss all the yummy seafood! Seafood boils! Fish, shrimp, lobster, crab, crawfish, ugh I get sad just thinking about it lol. I try to do seafood boils with just fish, potatoes, and corn, but it’s not the same. Neither are
“Kosher” gumbo and jambalaya, but I try!

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:05 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Twinkies are gross. You ain’t missing out lol!

I’m a convert from Louisiana and I miss all the yummy seafood! Seafood boils! Fish, shrimp, lobster, crab, crawfish, ugh I get sad just thinking about it lol. I try to do seafood boils with just fish, potatoes, and corn, but it’s not the same. Neither are
“Kosher” gumbo and jambalaya, but I try!

I know, I used to make a spicy seafood stew. I’ve tried with just white fish and a Jamie Gellar recipe, but just not the same.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:27 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Why does a dessert have to be mediocre because it’s not dairy?

Unless the dessert is meant to be specifically without dairy products then it just isn't going to be as good as the versions that are made with butter and cream. Even pie crusts are more delicious with a mixture of shortening and butter.

Puff pastry or a croissant not made with butter - a culinary blasphemy LOL

There are delicious desserts that don't use butter but to a great extent the best cakes and cookies rely on the taste of butter and real ice cream made with cream is much more delicious than any of the fake versions.

I don't know but if you have never had real tiramisu maybe a version made with some kind of fake whip tastes good to you.

There is almost no cake or cookie that doesn't use butter as the suggested fat. There is no high class bakery that advertises its stuff as being made with margarine unless they have to work within certain dietary restrictions like vegan or pareve.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:34 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I think you’re missing the point. Not everyone NEEDS the availability of kosher restaurants. You are using “the availability of kosher food” to mean the availability of kosher restaurants, but they are not the same thing. I don’t need restaurants when I go away. We take food with us because that’s what we want to do. We very rarely don’t go somewhere because there are no kosher restaurants.

If it works for you that is fine.

But most people when traveling don't want to shlep food along and want the ability to eat at restaurants that are recommended or convenient.

They don't want to come back to a hotel room and then start cooking on their "Betty Crocker".

Eating at restaurants is generally a large part of most people's vacations because they don't want to cook and they want to try out restaurants and experience part of the fun.

If one goes a Disney there are loads of convenient fun foods but you are limited to one awful overpriced meal if one remembers to order it. And none of the character restaurants are kosher if you want to give your kids that special experience.

I am not understanding why people are arguing about it that keeping kosher circumscribes life. It's great that you are willing to accept the limitations or maybe you just have never thought about what it would be like to not have to worry about getting food.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 5:33 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Most restaurants outside of specific neighborhoods in New York City are NOT kosher - what in the world are you describing.

There is a universe of restaurants that are off limits because they aren't kosher and the quality of kosher Chinese food is disgusting. There are numerous cuisines that aren't available kosher - or interesting restaurants. Big deal there is one food truck that serves hamburgers when part of the joy of food trucks is that very creative chefs make very interesting food because they don't have the huge costs of a restaurant.

There are numerous posts on imamother in which people are seeking advice on how to travel because of the limited kosher food options.

If you don't think that life is much simpler if you can simply pull into any restaurant that is well reviewed - or even just convenient because the kids are cranky and hungry and want their Chicken Nuggets from one of the 100 fast food places off the highway you don't have a clue as to how circumscribed your life is.

This.

I dream of going on a cross country road trip with NO shopping bags of food in the car. Just spontaneous stops for food as needed.

Also a huge part of traveling is experiencing the different foods in different places. Epcot anyone?

Coffee beanz

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 5:49 pm
Bacon, I want to try ethnic foods like real Indian and Thai, cheeseburgers
I am comfortable enough with myself and my yiddishkeit to admit it is hard. Pretending everything is easy is not the answer for me and does not create an honest relationship wih my yiddishkeit or Hashem. I do understand everyone has different challenges and some people may feel content and not limited.

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:19 pm
I don't miss treif food honestly. A lot of it isn't really good, like pork for example. Nonjews eat it because it's cheap not because it's good lol. However there's some foods that shouldn't be a problem but aren't produced kosher. Mascarpone is something I never find in stores here, not even as Chalav Stam. Of sometimes I see vegetables I didn't grow up around like Yucca. I don't know kosher places selling foods that contain them. I'd love to try Caribbean cuisine but I don't know anyone who makes it kosher. Or sometimes in the Asian stores they have such cool looking flavors for fanta and I can't try them. Maybe someone in the kosher food industry can get inspired to develop new products from this thread.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:28 pm
shaqued_almond wrote:
I don't miss treif food honestly. A lot of it isn't really good, like pork for example. Nonjews eat it because it's cheap not because it's good lol. However there's some foods that shouldn't be a problem but aren't produced kosher. Mascarpone is something I never find in stores here, not even as Chalav Stam. Of sometimes I see vegetables I didn't grow up around like Yucca. I don't know kosher places selling foods that contain them. I'd love to try Caribbean cuisine but I don't know anyone who makes it kosher. Or sometimes in the Asian stores they have such cool looking flavors for fanta and I can't try them. Maybe someone in the kosher food industry can get inspired to develop new products from this thread.

I am not sure why people are focusing on pork. It is not especially cheap. Non kosher chicken is generally cheaper than good cuts of pork and non kosher chopped beef is also very cheap. And high quality chicken is more delicious and flavorful than mass market chicken. I have friends who order special farm grown turkeys for Thanksgiving.

Not to mention the artisanal salami that is sold or the artisanal hams that are smoked at small farms in the south. And pepperoni with melted cheese pizza. 🍕 And spiral cut honey baked ham.

Higher quality non kosher meats are not cheap. Meat at Walmart is a lower quality than meat in a higher quality market let alone getting the best stuff from a butcher store. It is more expensive than kosher prices.

High quality pork prepared properly is delicious. Real spare ribs at a barbecue joint or a good Chinese restaurant are amazing.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:33 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I am not sure why people are focusing on pork. It is not especially cheap. Non kosher chicken is generally cheaper than good cuts of pork and non kosher chopped beef is also very cheap. And high quality chicken is more delicious and flavorful than mass market chicken. I have friends who order special farm grown turkeys for Thanksgiving.

Not to mention the artisanal salami that is sold or the artisanal hams that are smoked at small farms in the south. And pepperoni with melted cheese pizza. 🍕

Higher quality non kosher meats are not cheap. Meat at Walmart is a lower quality than meat in a higher quality market let alone getting the best stuff from a butcher store. It is more expensive than kosher prices.

High quality pork prepared properly is delicious. Real spare ribs at a barbecue joint or a good Chinese restaurant are amazing.

Yes.

But anyway. Seafood is where it's at. All the fake crab and shrimp in the world doesn't compare.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:36 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Yes.

But anyway. Seafood is where it's at. All the fake crab and shrimp in the world doesn't compare.

Yes. Cioppino and bouillabaisse with crusty sourdough bread or a fresh baguette. Really good shrimp. Mussels steamed with garlic butter. Lobster slathered with butter. Crab boils and crab cakes. Lobster rolls from a shack in Maine. Oysters and cherry stone clams on the half shell on a hot day with beer.

Aurora

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:34 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Yes. Cioppino and bouillabaisse with crusty sourdough bread or a fresh baguette. Really good shrimp. Mussels steamed with garlic butter. Lobster slathered with butter. Crab boils and crab cakes. Lobster rolls from a shack in Maine. Oysters and cherry stone clams on the half shell on a hot day with beer.

In a different world, I would love to try all of the above. I already love fish.

The other thing I want to try is full-on cuisines from different parts of the world.

It's not so much that I miss anything. I'm just sad that I can't explore.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:39 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Kosher boba tea! It looks so good. I know there's a restaurant in NY that makes it, but I live OOT. I also know you can buy the tapioca pearls and make it yourself, but I'd rather just be able to buy it Very Happy

Where can I buy tapioca pearls?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:49 pm
SG18 wrote:
Sirloin and flank are from the back half and everyone eats it.
US Kashrut won't give the back fifth a hechsher because of the gid hanasheh. They decided it's too hard to separate the parts we eat and the parts we shouldn't, because it could take a lot of time to separate it from the rest of the cow.
But it's kosher. We just don't eat the gid hanasheh.
Here in Israel, they know how to do it, and they do.

There is no kosher sirloin and flank steak in the Ashkenazi kosher world. Some butchers use the eye of the rib and call it fillet mignon and charge as if it's it but it's not.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen