Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Facebook for work only

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:31 pm
I was practically a FB addict for a number of years. Addict, meaning I would spend hours on FB, yenta-ing until all hours of the night. Never anything bad; I just love to gather useless information and I was a part of all different types of groups that were chock full of random (and some useful as well) information.
Two years ago, I decided that it was really affecting my quality of life and I quit cold turkey. It was a tremendous nisayon for me and I have been able to maintain it all this time. There are many times that I need information and I think automatically, "this group would have the answer" or "this person who I was FB friends with would be a good resource" but I stop myself because I know it's a rabbit hole for me.

Until now. I run a small business which is very niched. There are scattered people around the country and world who do the same thing I do. I am constantly looking to compare notes, get advice, and just vent with my "peers."

I tried to join a non-FB group for people in my line of business and it's helped somewhat. But there are so many more questions I have, things I want to get people's opinions on, and only a handful of peers are on this group. FB is 100% the place where everyone goes to REALLY discuss.

If I don't join FB and join the few industry groups, I will definitely get through and it won't be the end of the world. But it would definitely improve my business and help streamline things.

Is this a nisayon I need to pass (and not join) or is Hashem giving me a chance to join FB again and use it wisely (and with limits?)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:14 pm
anyone?

greenteaorange

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:25 pm
To be honest I do not think you should get it. I think it would be a slippery slope.
The only alternative is if you create a mock name and gather your information temporarily then close it from there (( maybe see if some people would give you emails or something going forward for you to ask them other questions)

Only you know yourself how risky this can be for you

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:08 pm
You already know that the true test of teshuvah for an addiction is to be in the same situation where you once fell, and this time resist the temptation.

What limits would you propose? Can you make it less convenient? Only use Facebook on a desktop computer and at specific times? Have your husband control the password? Have a safeguard where someone else can see your browsing history?

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:11 pm
I think you can limit your usage on Facebook and use it to your advantage.
You can create an amount of time you can be on the app ans it shuts off.
I think there's so much knowledge on Facebook and if you can gain that would be tremendous. If it's hard to control yourself set a limit - do what you need, and don't do anything Besides work.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was practically a FB addict for a number of years. Addict, meaning I would spend hours on FB, yenta-ing until all hours of the night. Never anything bad; I just love to gather useless information and I was a part of all different types of groups that were chock full of random (and some useful as well) information.
Two years ago, I decided that it was really affecting my quality of life and I quit cold turkey. It was a tremendous nisayon for me and I have been able to maintain it all this time. There are many times that I need information and I think automatically, "this group would have the answer" or "this person who I was FB friends with would be a good resource" but I stop myself because I know it's a rabbit hole for me.

Until now. I run a small business which is very niched. There are scattered people around the country and world who do the same thing I do. I am constantly looking to compare notes, get advice, and just vent with my "peers."

I tried to join a non-FB group for people in my line of business and it's helped somewhat. But there are so many more questions I have, things I want to get people's opinions on, and only a handful of peers are on this group. FB is 100% the place where everyone goes to REALLY discuss.

If I don't join FB and join the few industry groups, I will definitely get through and it won't be the end of the world. But it would definitely improve my business and help streamline things.

Is this a nisayon I need to pass (and not join) or is Hashem giving me a chance to join FB again and use it wisely (and with limits?)

My opinion is it's a nisayon that you need to pass.

And this is coming from someone who deleted my Facebook account just this morning, because I could not use it sanely. And I had only gone on in the first place so I can be part of a certain group.

If you can manage without it, avoid it like the plague.
Hashem can bless your business with success even without Facebook.

May Hashem give you strength. And may He bless you with success.

I also gotta say, I admire your awareness and your asking this question.

Be well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics