Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
I want to give up (vent)
Previous  1  2

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:03 pm
Maybe repost and put uk in the title because I know that it's very different than in the US for example.

Some thoughts. Make a day program with her. Take her to the park, teach her something and give her a treat for it.

Check out the book finally focused

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:05 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Would they let her come back with a shadow? Otherwise I would send her to public school temporarily, they have the resources to help her.

UK works differently to US. Public school wouldn't have any different resources really. To really get resources, they would need to have an EHCP which will provide funding. That is a long process.
Are the school willing to work with you at all? Do they have a senco that will work on developing a plan-work with getting an evaluation? Anything?
I have friends who switched schools because the school they sent their child to wasn't willing to work with them and give the child what they needed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:21 pm
Thank you Yolk, your understanding is so validating. My child was in reception last year I also feel the teacher she had wasn't a good match for my child and she messed up a lot in how she handled her when dds problems weren't so bad definitely manageable. The school in a whole ignored her problems didn't follow through with any of the help they promised, they failed to refer her on to the special education team or occupational therapist even though they promised they would by the time I realised this she had already become extremely frustrated and out of control but they had no resources to help her and it was too close to the end of the year to do anything about it

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:08 pm
OP if your child is out of school, they are legally required to bump her up the list. Call the secretaries at the doctor and explain the child is out of school and demand services sooner. Also, phone every day to ask if there is a cancellation. I just got an appointment for this last week when the next appointment was in 6 months because someone cancelled last minute.

In the meantime, you need to find a mentor who can come and take her out every day so you get some space. It's essential. If you live near any of the seminaries, most of them have this kind of possibility if you ask for it.

Is she still in the same school? From my experience with the school system, a school that starts like this will never be a good fit for this kind of kid. It's essential to try to find a school who are able to deal with her better.

Hang in there! iyH you'll find the right solution soon and it's a total game changer when you get there.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:44 pm
I dont live in the UK but perhaps I can help you set up a plan to help short term. PM me and we can discuss further.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)