Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/o hfa - what are the obvious and not so obvious
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:13 pm
synthy wrote:
When she gets upset at home, she has major meltdowns. In public she'll go hide in a bathroom or something.

We never thought she's autistic because she's able to express herself so well most of the time. She did start talking early and was an adorable toddler, the issues started when she was around 5.

What kind of therapist would she need to see? She saw a LCSW when she was younger who did play therapy with her and said she's too smart for her own good and has trust issues. Didn't mention asd.

Developmental pediatrician or neuropsychologist.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:36 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
OP if you feel your teen has trouble with being rigid and non literal but doesn’t meet criteria for asd it could be ocd. My child will do the same with a 2hr screen time rule, but for them, they understand on a logical level very well what the rule means, but ocd makes them get very stuck on the script, and veering from the script causes them such cognitive distress that they melt down.

The other example with their need to snuggle is the same. Cognitively they understand that they can’t force someone to snuggle with them, but their ocd need is so strong that it hijacks their brain and overwhelms their ability to restrain themselves.

Personally I believe there is a huge overlap between asd symptoms and ocd. They also share similar biological and neurological causes.

could be.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:36 am
do such kids have a very low pain threshold?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:48 am
amother OP wrote:
do such kids have a very low pain threshold?

Some do. Some don't.

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:09 am
OP, it sounds like you have enough concerns that it's worth it to get an eval.

I have 3 kids with the diagnosis, and I can tell you unhesitatingly that the earlier you know for sure, the better.

It impacts everything from getting an earlier start on challenges to qualifying for government funding and services for problems that continue into adulthood.

When in doubt, check it out -- properly, through the complete battery of tests.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:13 am
DD 8.5 with HFA- I wanted to add difficulty with self care and getting ready in the morning. Difficulty with organization ,following directions, cleaning up after self, and frequently misplaces things Easily gets overwhelmed and low tolerance /patience level for when trying to complete a task, gets sidetracked easily.No patience when she wants something that I can't do that second. No executive functioning skills but amazing memory , remembers dates and times and always where I parked., Very academic -identified all abc letters at age 2. Hyperfocuses on sounds and insects and is afraid of vacuum cleaner. Always needs to be stimulated, cannot tolerate being bored. Very unccordinated and always bumping into things or hurting herself. Very sensitive to criticism and is made fun of a lot. She is very literal so if she heard something bad about non jews she started shaking in fear around them or if a boy was mean to her she hid from all boys. Whines instead of expressing herself, still loves baby toys and sticks out her hand for a kiss after every booboo. Cries easily.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:56 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
DD 8.5 with HFA- I wanted to add difficulty with self care and getting ready in the morning. Difficulty with organization ,following directions, cleaning up after self, and frequently misplaces things Easily gets overwhelmed and low tolerance /patience level for when trying to complete a task, gets sidetracked easily.No patience when she wants something that I can't do that second. No executive functioning skills but amazing memory , remembers dates and times and always where I parked., Very academic -identified all abc letters at age 2. Hyperfocuses on sounds and insects and is afraid of vacuum cleaner. Always needs to be stimulated, cannot tolerate being bored. Very unccordinated and always bumping into things or hurting herself. Very sensitive to criticism and is made fun of a lot. She is very literal so if she heard something bad about non jews she started shaking in fear around them or if a boy was mean to her she hid from all boys. Whines instead of expressing herself, still loves baby toys and sticks out her hand for a kiss after every booboo. Cries easily.

thanks.

sounds abit also like adhd?

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:04 am
amother OP wrote:
thanks.

sounds abit also like adhd?

I have a child with asd and a child with ADHD. The manifestations are similar but the sources and ways to deal with it are different. But yes, both of them have challenges with executive functioning and keeping attention, especially on things that don't interest them, but it's for different reasons.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:21 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I have a child with asd and a child with ADHD. The manifestations are similar but the sources and ways to deal with it are different. But yes, both of them have challenges with executive functioning and keeping attention, especially on things that don't interest them, but it's for different reasons.

this is very interesting.

can you explain more?

regarding executive functioning can they be extremely good with their hands and have excellent skills I some areas ad I some sorely lacking?

eg can sweep ad wash floor thoroughly when want to but organising a cupboard is too overwhelming
and just stuff everything in?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:56 pm
one of the symptoms pf autism is not getting sarcasm and humour and not being able to feel for someone.

can there be exeptions?

cos I know someone with a brill sense of humour, understands sarcasm and can be sarcastic and on the ball/mark all the time

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:40 pm
Okay who good in helping these teens learn these life skills especially social

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
one of the symptoms pf autism is not getting sarcasm and humour and not being able to feel for someone.

can there be exeptions?

cos I know someone with a brill sense of humour, understands sarcasm and can be sarcastic and on the ball/mark all the time

So women are much better socially and catch on alone. If they had any therapy as kid it may have guided them a bit to understand.

A lot of autistic people I know have a great sense of humor and are always on the mark. I think the humor is often coming from a straightforward and honest place as that's how we see the world. So a lot of cynical humoir too.

Also not being able to be empathetic is an old stereotype that ISN'T true. Studies show autistics feel MORE empathy than neurotypicals. We just express it differently or don't neccesairly know the appropriate way to convey the empathy.

If an autistic knows they've hurt someone, they can beat themselves up for days. Some are so sensitive that sad stories or someone else's problems can be on their mind for weeks.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)